Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick quick! Formula One in Singapore! (334 pix, 5 videos)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want videos of take off, landing, start, etc. in this TR and the following ones?
Yes. Videos please!
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No. Continuous shooting is awesome!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Continuous shooting in the day, videos in the night.
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Quick quick! Formula One in Singapore! (334 pix, 5 videos) Reply with quote

Link to previous TR: http://airlinersindia.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?p=117477#117477

INTRODUCTION
Yesterday (8th September, 2012) while everyone on this forum were excited about the arrival of VT-ANH, Air India's first Boeing 787 Dreamliner, I was having a bit of a bad day. Yesterday, reality stated, that it wouldn't be possible for me to go for a Formula One before race 2014. If there are any F1 fans here, you'll know, but for the others, here is what is going to happen: F1 is changing to greener engines, 1.3L V6 turbo engines, from the current 2.4L V8 engines, aka the LOUD ones. Anyways, Dad understood my disappointment, and agreed, to let me watch a race this year.
The Indian GP, Singapore GP and the Abu Dhabi GP were short listed. Play the F1 game, from a simulator driver's POV, I really love the Indian GP track, I'm okay with the Abu Dhabi track, but I totally HATE the Singapore GP track, because of one simple reason: I never do well in the races there Razz
But looking at dates, Abu Dhabi would be too late, India clashing with something. Therefore, Singapore was the final option. Knowing that it is only 2 weeks from today (Sunday, 9th Sept, 2012), I was unsure about prices.

OPTIONS ARE WIDE OPEN!
Dad gave one condition: flight tickets should be less than INR20k. Well, I knew it would be hard, even on Tiger Airways. But then, I did a check on makemytrip, and my prayers were answered!
Rs. 19,414; a return ticket on Emirates! But in about 20k, Jet also had options via MAA and BOM (bored of it), so did UL, (A320's, meh). Singapore Airlines was already out of this, because I knew they were going to be expensive. (INR20,104, and a B772). I did a proper search on the Emirates and Cathay Pacific websites. Prices were lesser there! INR14,565 on Emirates and 13,695 on Cathay Pacific!
Let me be honest, I want to fly Cathay Pacific, I really do. As you can see, the fares were cheaper, and I flew on 4 Emirates flights this year already (2012). But, looking at the horrible timing record of the CX flight, I prevented myself. Both EK and CX fliers can earn miles on JetPrivilege. EK has delays, yes, but that's an average of 45 minutes. As for CX? I've seen it being delayed for more than 7 hours, but usually its 2.5 or 3 hours late.
So, once again in 2012, for a bonus holiday, Emirates it is then! The details of the flight are:

22SEP12,
EMIRATES EK 348
DEP: CMB @ 1455 hours
ARR: SIN @ 2115 hours
AIRCRAFT: BOEING 777-300
BAGGAGE: 30K
SEAT: 28A

25SEP12 (my birthday!)
EMIRATES EK 349
DEP: SIN @ 0055 hours
ARR: CMB @ 0155 hours
AIRCRAFT: BOEING 777-300
BAGGAGE: 30K
SEAT: 30K

Wow! So I will be flying on my birthday, on my favourite aircraft! Doesn't get better, does it? Coincidentally, 5 years ago, in 2007 (25th Sept!), Dad came back from Dubai, early in the morning, on Emirates, on a Boeing 777-300ER!
Now for the record, EK 348 is DXB-CMB-SIN, while EK 349 is SIN-CMB-SIN. I flew on the same two flights, but on the CMB-DXB-CMB sector. TR's are up on the forum, I'm sure you have read them!
Now, for the F1 ticket, I bought a 3 day pass (which includes a concert my Maroon 5 and Katy Perry!) on the Bay Grandstand, the place where the Formula One cars go under your very legs!
As for the aircraft, here is where it gets interesting.
The seat map shows 310 economy class seats for the flight, which means the Boeing 777-300 configuration. But looking at the aircraft operated on flight EK-348, here is something I found out.

EK0348
12 August: A6-EBO (3 class B77W)
14 August: A6-EGP (3 class B77W, Digital Widesreen)
16 August: A6-ECC (3 class B77W, maybe widesreen)
19 August: A6-EBK (3 class B77W, maybe widescreen)
25 August: A6-EGL (3 class B77W, Digital Widesreen)
1 September: A6-EMX (B773)
4 September: A6-EBE (3 class B77W)
9 Septemer: A6-EMQ (B773).
10 September: A6-EBO (B77W, 3 class).

I don't see any trend here, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't want Digital Widescreen, but I just hope its upgraded to a Boeing 777-300ER! But even if its a B773, I would not complain, because, after all, its a Boeing 777!
Now, only hurdle I have, is the visa. It shouldn't be difficult, because Sri Lankans don't need visa for Singapore. So, it should be done in a few days! I'm really excited for this trip. Keep watching this post for more details, and the report itself!

Regards
Jishnu.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, for the birthday situation.
This is quite rare to be honest, but despite the massive age gap, me and my big brother share the same the same birthday! I'm wiling to buy him to anything from Singapore, because of various reasons.
First of all, I am the first person from my family to watch a Formula One race LIVE from the racetrack. But, its my big brother who started watching back in 2001, the beginning of 'glory days' for Michael Schumacher and Ferrari. This will surely make him feel really bad. Second, its his 25th birthday, which means, something big has to be given, instead, I get the bigger present.
I started watching F1 in 2008, but I got hooked up to it in middle 2008. During the Hungarian GP, Felipe Massa, a driver from Ferrari, was leading the race, until 2 laps from the end, where the Ferrari engine just blew up. I saw the disappointment in him, and I felt sorry for him. But, this was covered up with fantastic wins in Spain and Belgium, just a few weeks later!
Then the circus came into Singapore, the first ever race under night race in F1. Lots of drama took place!
2 years later, a new star in Ferrari, Fernando Alonso, took a hard fought win in the 2010 Singapore Grand Prix. I knew, Singapore had to be the best chance for me to see the race!
Now, 2012 it is. Less than 2 weeks for the race. The story so far: Fernando Alonso leads the driver's championships, by a healthy 37 points, in front of Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen. It will sure be a treat to watch the Prancing Horse win once again under the lights of Singapore!
This is most definitely, the best birthday present I have got EVER! But still, that tiny bit of bad feeling for my brother though. Sigh.
Anyways, back to the flights. I mentioned the aircraft changes already, I will update them in a week.
Here are my seat selections:

(please let it be a B77W, please please please! Very Happy )

Anyways, another good point is, that A6-EMP and A6-EMR (the two B773's of EK that I've been on, assuming the flights are operated by a B773), haven't operated EK-348 and EK-349 over the last month! So, new aircraft registrations hopefully!

And for the menu, (most likely this is the one):

Keep watching this post!

Regards
Jishnu.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
me111993

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planes onwards from EGP have the digital widescreen.

Looking forward to your TR!

- Greg House
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on this lovely b'day present - your parents really do spoil you Very Happy!

I've voted for the clicks, not much of a video fan for some strange reason...
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice start to a nice trip! Jishnu, I love it how your excitement seeps into your writing, and forces the reader to be enveloped in the same feelings, and immersed into your report. Yes, I had read the `progressive' part, but felt quite bad that the second installment ended so soon. But of course. The wait will be more than worth it, I am sure!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me111993 wrote:
Planes onwards from EGP have the digital widescreen.

Looking forward to your TR!

Wait wait wait.
You meant onwards from EGP have Digital Widescreen HD, yes?
EGD and EGO have widescreen as well!
In that case, EGT, EGU, EGR and EGQ have operated in this route in the last one month!

Nimish wrote:
Congrats on this lovely b'day present - your parents really do spoil you Very Happy!

I've voted for the clicks, not much of a video fan for some strange reason...

Well, my presents are in a limit. One of my class mates father will be on his way to the US for the iPhone 5. Wow. That's real BAD spoilt! But, I must admit, I am pretty spoilt as well. Wink
We'll need to wait and see what the votes say. If there is a tie, its my choice Razz

sumantra wrote:
Very nice start to a nice trip! Jishnu, I love it how your excitement seeps into your writing, and forces the reader to be enveloped in the same feelings, and immersed into your report. Yes, I had read the `progressive' part, but felt quite bad that the second installment ended so soon. But of course. The wait will be more than worth it, I am sure!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Thank you for the kind words, sir! Encourages me a lot! As you could see by the dates, I didn't have too long to write anything big, but I did go off topic and try and extended it. But yes, I am eagerly waiting.

Regards,
Jishnu.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is installment 3:
Not much to add here...
Just wanted to say that, NEVER NEVER have I booked a ticket so late! Its usually a month before I book the tickets, so the excitement gradually arrives. But for this? Booking it 2 weeks in advance, really gave me a massive 'boost' of excitement! (Which is why I named this TR, QUICK QUICK!)
If this is a F1 related topic, let me add this: my DRS (Drag Reduction System, adds about 10-15kmph to help overtaking) has been activated, and my KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System, gives about 80bhp extra power, really gives the drivers a jump!) is in use! Very Happy

As for the aircraft:
EK348
11 September: A6-EMU
12 September: A6-EMS.
Well, there is some trend here, then. Well, only time will tell, what the 'real' aircraft is!

Regards
Jishnu.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been very quite in the forum over the weekend, but here is installment 4, which I hope is the second last one..
First thing, aircraft check:
13 September: A6-EBI (B77W, whats ironic is that before EK348 on 13 September, on 12th September, it operated EK770 and EK771, aka, my Cape Town flights!)
14 September: A6-EMN (B773)
15 September: A6-EBU (B77W)
16 September: A6-EGO (B77W, once in a while, even a tier 2 city has to see a milestone aircraft! EK finally respects CMB! Very Happy )
17 September: A6-EMT (B773)

So, after school today, I went to the consulate, and got my passport and visa, therefore, the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix for me is a GO!

Speaking of school, I took part in the Inter-International School Debating Tournament 2012 on Saturday, and of all positions I could have been, I was the team leader. Dates were like this:
15 September: Preliminary rounds
16 September: Semi-Finals
22 September: Finals.
As you can see, the dates don't look too friendly, for the debate team leader. In the prelims, it was a one sided debate, we were opposing 'Nuclear Energy is more disadvantageous than advantageous to society.' Despite having many strong points, we were one of the two shock exits on day 1, out of the top 4. Dad was, well, slightly angry, because he felt I gave more importance to the trip rather than the debate. But, later, he told he that he was just joking! Razz
Same for my friends, but we were a team who were out there for the first time from this school. In the end, not too much of a disappointment, but being a team leader, I felt a tiny bit sad.
So the plan for Saturday is this; Mum and Dad will leave me at the airport, and go for lunch at our favourite spot (Jetwing Lagoon, Negombo that is), and wait for the EK 777 to take off, so he can click pictures of my aircraft as it leaves, assuming that it leaves on time (they delay it by about 15 minutes, that's alright).
With every passing second, I am getting more and more excited. Now that EK are sending B77W's on this route regularly, I may be a tad bit sad (actually MADLY IN ANGER! Evil or Very Mad ) if they don't give a B77W on my day, it still remains 50-50.
My last installment before the trip would be on Saturday, just before I leave home.
Till then,
Regards
Jishnu.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the debate exit, Jishnu, but we can all feel the excitement building up. We look forward to Saturday, for the next installment. Will you be able to report from Ground Zero as well, or will the final installment come in when you come back to Colombo?
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Sorry to hear about the debate exit, Jishnu, but we can all feel the excitement building up. We look forward to Saturday, for the next installment. Will you be able to report from Ground Zero as well, or will the final installment come in when you come back to Colombo?
Cheers, Sumantra.

I surely will post from BIA Airport, and once I land in Changi, but I'm not sure if I can post directly from Singapore itself (shouldn't have named it progressive then Rolling Eyes ). I'll try level best!
Regards
Jishnu.
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, I only wanted to know about updates from the Singapore GP - we look forward to those pictures, and descriptions, as well!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Jishnu, I only wanted to know about updates from the Singapore GP - we look forward to those pictures, and descriptions, as well!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Oh, that is impossible to be honest.
I'm not going to have an Internet activated sim card sadly. So I think it will have to be done once I'm in Colombo. And worse, forecast says:RAIN! But that won't stop me from taking many pictures! Our very own ESPN Star Sports will broadcast the race, although I think the prime focus for us Indian's would be the T20 World Cup, here, in Sri Lanka! Speaking of which, my parents are going for the England vs. India group stages match, 23rd evening. Oh, well, I have other things to be excited for! Very Happy
A quick look at the today's (18th Sept) aircraft:
A6-ECX, Boeing 777-300ER, Digital Widescreen.
Regards,
Jishnu.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect birthday has been made even better!
Both flights have been upgraded to a Boeing 777-300ER!
This is a highly anticipated (but unsurprising) change!
For once I get to fly on a Boeing 777-300ER a little bit more than Dad in a year! What a fantastic feeling this is!

So, now I'll stop with the aircraft registration trend, (although today's flight was operated by A6-EGQ, Digital HD Widescreen), and looking at the descriptions, you'll that notice that there isn't Digital Widscreen, which means, it is one those few B77W's, which have the old interior (just like A6-EBJ, no I don't want A6-EBJ on any of my flights, the horrors of FLG will be back to haunt me on a really happy occasion!)
Could be any one of these:
A6-EBC
A6-EBE
A6-EBG
A6-EBJ (NO! NO!! NO!!!!)
A6-EBM
A6-EBN
A6-EBO
Not too many aircraft, but because it has the exact same configuration as the B773's, there is a chance of it being downgraded. It will certainly be a joy to see an aircraft with Digital Widescreen to land at BIA, but once again, only time, will tell.

Sorry about the unscheduled post, had to get this out somewhere!

Regards,
Jishnu

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Today is the day then, I'm super excited!
I did my web check in, which took less than a minute...

1m05s to be exact.
On the F1 side, both Friday practice sessions have been led by Sebastian Vettel, although there are others who are breathing down his neck.

And for the aircraft? I should have known by now, but sadly, it has been delayed. BY AN HOUR!
Minus marks for Emirates on timing (the same happened before the South Africa trip). Fingers crossed, I hope this delay means an equipment change. Hopefully its not a B773, but a new B77W or a B77L, or even better A343 or A345 maybe A388? Well, the A388 is a bit too much. But my brain says it should be a 777, my heart wants it to be an Airbus. Fingers crossed!

*NEED LOTS OF TAILWIND!!*

Regards
Jishnu.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 am; edited 3 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH THANK GOD!!
Very Happy
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wonderful...thanks for the regular updates!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like yesterday,
A6-EBE IT IS!!!
B77W!!!!
Yess!!
Will report from the airport.

Regards
Jishnu
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!
Reporting LIVE from Bandaranayke International Airport, standing in Gate 7, right in front of the portside wing of A6-EBE.
Like I mentioned, it is delayed by an hour. Not too much foreign activity, other than SG3101 DH8 SpiceJet from Chennai had arrived, followed by A6-EBE.
GE-90 is MASSIVE!
As I write this, another DH8 of SpiceJet, from Madurai is flaring over the runway.
Weather conditions: sings of sunlight, very cloudy other wise.
I reached the airport 1hr55min before schedued departure time.
Check in didn't have a long line, neither did it take too long. The friendly agent told me about the delay of the oncoming aircraft, I said I was aware. Flight is also, not quite full. Only about 50 pax from CMB.
Next to the Daddy is 46-MRB, a Mihin A320 heading for Trichy. A crow is desperately trying to enter through starboard door 1!
6 UL widebodies were parked, 3 remain, while I can see 3 people on top of one A340, cleaning like an expert! Razz
No sign of 9W and AI flights from MAA yet.
My favourite Palm Strip restaurant was COMPLETELY FULL! Didn't get the pictures I wanted, but I tried my best. Anxiously waiting to set foot on Bravo Echo!
And as voting suggests, continuos pictures in the day, video at night.
I will try and report from Changi, although it is unlikely.
Regards from BIA
Jishnu.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And out of NO WHERE, I see a Jet Airways Boeing 737 tail, in Gate 10! Wow I am so engaged into the computer!

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in a matter of few minutes, there is drama.
I realised, my boarding pass was not there with the passport!
My name is called.
The staff reunite me with my boarding pass.
Oh my God this was scary!
Meanwhile, SG3102 to MAA has departed.
Then annoucements for EK348 starts.
Boarding will be started when the aircraft is prepared.
First And Business class passengers can take their time, families with small (hopefully not cranky) children can board first, followed by people with disabilities. Then zonewise boarding for Y class.
Overhearing a conversation, a couple didn't realise that one the flights into CMB stops at MLE. They also talked about the pretty scary, nearly sea landing.
Also, another person is browsing airliners.net.
Awesomeness awaits for sure! Very Happy

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Nimish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun - and don't lose your boarding pass again Smile. Lucky it was only the boarding pass, and not your passport!
rakesh959

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy ur flight expecting the full TR soon!!!!
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many pictures taken, lots to write.
There are 3 other fantastic new TR's up in the forum, we should emphasize on that for now, I'll take my time Smile

Regards
Jishnu
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
So many pictures taken, lots to write.
There are 3 other fantastic new TR's up in the forum, we should emphasize on that for now, I'll take my time Smile

Hey no...Jishnu, we are eagerly awaiting the other parts! There can never be too much of a good thing.
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Improvement'
That's what I hope for from every new TR I write. This one, I'm sure, has many significant improvements. Although the India trip was technically an international trip, this is a proper International Trip. And this wasn't progressive as I had hoped for, but for once, I could stay away from the internet. So where was I, ah yes, before boarding.
First of all, pictures from the tarmac scene:

As EBE taxied towards the gate, I tagged along. Once I completed security, the GE-90 fans were still moving. While updating the TR at the terminal;

The boarding pass thing happened.

BOARDING
This started zone wise. After the rear most zones (A and B) were completed, the rest of the zones were called out, easily giving hints that the loads for the flight would be low. Very low. So then, I made my way towards EBE.

Off to TRZ

As speculated Smile

Standing right with the newspaper trolley.
A very warm 'Hey! Welcome aboard! This way please!' followed. I forgot that I was boarding an older spec B77W. I pictured EK's latest J class, but after what I saw, I wasn't surprised. While boarding EBJ in JNB freaked me out, this wasn't a surprise, because these J class seats were meant to be there. So I walked down the rather empty aircraft to my row, 28. The wing view was simply...FABULOUS!

Raked wingtip, the very reason I wanted the B77W, makes the picture a million times more stunning!

While the hot towels were distributed,

the Captain came over the PA to give details of the flight. 33000 to 37000 cruising height, very smooth weather conditions throughout, and people on the K side of the aircraft to see the sunset.
Also, the multi-national crew.
Captain from Brazil, First Officer from South Africa, Lead FA from India, most other crew members from Singapore and Australia.

Off to Madurai

Tiruchirapalli

Oh wait, a part of the flap is suddenly aligned with the wing. YES! We are departing!

Announcements and safety video..

FLIGHT DETAILS
Emirates EK348
Colombo-Singapore
22nd September 2012.
Boeing 777-36N/ER, A6-EBE
Scheduled timing: DEP 1455, ARR 2115
Actual timing: DEP 1559, ARR 2222
Loads: Less than 50%

DEPARTURE
Sorry about no pictures from the GE-90 start up, I had to take a video of it!
The GE-90s were, as usual, LOUD! I had selected the perfect seat, it kept vibrating, the tingles were awesome!
A few minutes later, a medium speed taxi followed.

How about getting off a plane, and hear a B77W go by, applying power right in front of you? That's what these people felt. Lucky.

Ah, the scary Ilyushin!

National Paint Airlines?

Amazing how they stuffed in the two aircraft!

If that's a replica, WOW!
If that's the real fuselage, well, not a cool thing to do.

A fast taxi, or a medium speed taxi. Result is: Hold short.

Alright, you are a rival airline, but that doesn't mean you take forever to land! Just saying Razz

For any member of my family, this is the first day time departure, and the beasts are unleashed!

Negombo Lagoon!

Just for the record, this is how it looked from the outside Smile

Then, there are the clouds.

Then, the skies open.

Flaps in!

INFLIGHT

Close to our first cruising altitude, FL330.

Maybe, that is Yala National Park. Surely, that is the end of Sri Lanka!

Or Trincomalee maybe?

And then, the menu cards were given out. It had a different cover, as compared to the Pumpkin Cover, which I saw in April. Unsurprisingly, even the menu, food options, etc, were different. Main course options for the lunch was Fish Biriyani and Chicken (not exactly sure what it was, I'll scan and put it up later), but I had the chicken, not too much of a fan of fish.

While the usual service began (first the trolley of drinks, followed by the food trays), I decided to follow up on Cars, which I saw en-route DXB-CMB. So Cars 2 it was, CMB-SIN, both on EK348 Very Happy

One drawback on the flight was this: my TV monitor, was sort of broken. I couldn't adjust the angle of the monitor, it kept falling down. Well, it is indeed EK's 5th oldest B77W, but it is EK. Unacceptable.

Just as lunch was being served in my part of the aircraft, the sun was slowly starting to set.

Already with 4 flights experienced (and 6 meal services), its amazing how much food EK gives! Especially the small things like the cheese, biscuits, the EK chocolate! I was over full! I did the right thing by not buying anything in BIA, instead letting this go down. Although, according to time in CMB and SIN, I wasn't sure if I just had lunch or dinner. Shocked But anyhow, it was fantastic! I kept the tray on the aisle seat tray. Coffee and Tea services followed, but I wasn't in a mood. Instead, I had the fantastic but frantic sun setting to see!
But before that, leg room shot:

FINALLY I get the picture I always wanted: the window frame and the wing. It got topped up with the sunset. (If you see my first and second TR, you'll see a few pictures I tried to do this).

As we kept flying over the Bay of Bengal, the sun was setting, and the light just disappeared. I decided to to go the washroom. Because the seats next to me were empty, I took my time. In other words, took the miniature camera to take a few pictures of the condition of the washroom Wink

I don't get one thing: they say no smoking, when there is an ash tray right on the door!

The law of physics, even inside an aircraft.

Nappy changing table Razz

Amenities, I just love these!

For drinkable H20.

5th Oldest B77W, showing its signs.

Smoke detectors.

Then I came back to my seat, there was a bit of movement in the cabin. Because this was an empty flight, I seized the opportunity, to do what most of the TR writers on A.net do: picture of the cabin from the behind of the aircraft!

First I went to the rear, and waited. Everyone assumed that I wanted to go to the washroom. Well, with a big camera, in the washroom? Oh hell no! Razz
When everyone went, I asked the FA if I could take pictures of the cabin.
'Coffee?' she said.
'No, no! Pictures of the aircraft cabin!' while I pointed at the camera.
'Oh!' *doing a facepalm* 'I'm so sorry, yes sir, why not?'
Then she called someone through the intercom.

All alone on a B77W, a dream come true! The first dream come true was in April, when I finally got on board the B77W. The next one, was when I could travel on the beast all alone. I thought it would be when I'm in university, instead, its just less than 5 months later!

I looked and the door assembly for a while. And then, suddenly, this happens:

Did she call up to tell someone to switch on mood lighting? No one knows.
NO ONE IS LOOKING! QUICK! Picture of the galley!

And then, more lighting changes.

Then I came back to my seat, made my 'bed': Pillows on the head rest, blankets. 3 pillows and 3 blankets. Pure awesome! I opened just one blanket, I kept the others sealed. Uncomfortably, I laid down. My neck was hurting because I kept my head on the armrest. Not a wise thing to do. We still had about 1hr20min of flying time left. Well, I hoped to lay down for 40 minutes at least. While lying down, I kept thinking 'You are alone on a T7W! How cool is that?' Then I went through the good, the funny, the bad and weird things that happened in life. And of all people, FLG had to come in my mind Mad

Mood lighting is like this?
One thing I didn't realise, was the fact that the seat belts signs were on. But no one came and told me, so I laid down. I fell asleep, for about 10 minutes. I woke up to see the FA going the aisles giving apple and orange juices. Well, I knew there would be a few glasses left when she went back to the galley. And I was right. 3 glasses of orange juice remained. I took one, and sipped on it. I kept my legs on the seat, while I let my back be on the window.

No co-passengers to write about Sad
No co-passengers to care about! Very Happy

Design of the seats. Other colours are green instead of purple.

Arm-rest.

I followed the air show, as we flew over Indonesia. I called the FA for another glass of juice.
'Orange?' she asked.
'Alright.' I said.
It took her almost 7 or 8 minutes to arrive. I was beginning to think she wouldn't come. More minus markings for Emirates, that is what I felt. Instead, she came, gave me the juice and said. 'I'm so sorry to keep you waiting sir, enjoy your drink!' Instead, EK got more plus markings!

In the meantime, another FA came to take all the rubbish.
'Sir, do you mind throwing in all the plastic you have?' she asked.
'Sure.' I said.
I took the headphone cover, blanket wrapping and the glass, and gave it in.
'Thank you' she said.

DESCENT AND ARRIVAL
The Brazilian Captain came over the PA once again, giving the arrival details. The sense of Formula 1 atmosphere was right there. 'If you are going for the Singapore GP, I hope you enjoy it, and make sure you have ear plugs!'
While this was done, the crew started collecting the blankets. I quickly headed for the washroom, and I kept the 3 blankets on the aisle seat. I felt that they'd take the blanket, but they didn't. When I came back, while they collected the headphones, one FA took the blanket. Meanwhile, the smooth approach followed.

It was kept on until we docked.

A smooth landing followed, then a long taxi.
If DXB is nothing without EK A380s, what is SIN without SQ A380's?
Its nothing.
SIN is Singapore Changi Airport, only when there is a Qantas A380.
And indeed, there were SQ A380s, QF B744, and QF A380s.
What really caught my eye was this a 9W (YES! Jet Airways!) B73H, in between two A380's of Qantas. A tiny fellow the 737 is in between the A380s! There was the usual array of wide bodies, and a few Chinese and Indonesian narrow bodies (don't forget the 9W also!). For once, I felt proud to enter an airport, adding to the widebody array Cool
The worst possible thing happened: WINDOWS FOGGED! I could not take a single picture Sad
So there was a QF A380, an EK B77W, another QF A380 and then we turned in, most likely Gate C16. While the lights were switched on, Captain ordered the FA's to open the doors, he also announced the pax transferring to EK404, Melbourne, to head to Gate C24. They surely had to rush, the whole flight would have been delayed!

I hate the fog -_-
I was the last to get off of the plane, on the way, taking a few photographs...

Just when I took that, a voice from behind told me (well, it was the FA), in a gentle tone, to stop taking pictures. I followed.
I thanked the crew for another wonderful EK flight, and got off EBE.

Is this my last B77W flight? Or will EK349 also be a B77W?

Qantas and EK domination!

I got off, and quickly made a call to my Dad's colleague, who needs a hotel for 2 days when there are friends?
I made the long walk towards immigration and baggage collection.

I took the very convenient MRT to get home. When I got off, I asked the qualifying results. Uncle said 'Hamilton first, some guy with 'M' second, Vettel, Button, Alonso.' What a shock. M is second. Oh my God! Massa qualified on the front row of the grid! And also ahead of Alonso! Fantastic! Awesome race ahead! Out side, there was a person wearing McLaren overalls. One question still remained unanswered: Did I have dinner or lunch? Well, I had EK food, that's all. At almost 12 o clock Singapore time, I reached home and crashed, beginning, the Formula One experience in Singapore.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 am; edited 5 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice...BIA has some nice turboprops - the Il-18s, An-12s, C-130s...wow!
Nice pictures on the apron, and of the take-off!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:18 am; edited 4 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the fact that I would not have to wait for MRTs, I had to rush slightly. But that wasn't say. As I said goodbye to Uncle, I saw the next MRT to Marina Bay was 4 minutes later. Joy. If you are late in the morning, you still are late at night. And that wasn't the end of it! The door had to open and close 5 TIMES before we actually started moving! Luckily the MRT to Pasir Ris didn't take too long of a wait. It was close. At 2245 hours, I was at Tanah Merah. An MRT to Changi Airport arrived, but that was a 'DO NOT BOARD' thing. So the wait lasted for 10 minutes. At 2257, I was on board the final MRT in Singapore, heading from Tanah Merah to the airport. At 2305 hours, I was at Changi Terminal 3, so I had to take a skytrain to T1, which didn't take too long. At around 2315 hours, I was in the check in are of Changi International Airport, Singapore. Time was short, but a few pictures anyways!

These things kept moving up and down, everyone took videos and pictures. These small things are those elements which make an airport stand out from the others..

Row 2, Emirates, and Emirates only!

Lines were long, and I was unsurprised.

3 flights were leaving to DXB. EK348 was the first, at 0055 hours, followed by EK405 at 0140 hours and EK355 at 0200 hours. Wait, what? 3 flights, operated by the same airline, in wide bodies (Boeing 777-300ERs to be specific Wink) , going to the same destination, in the span of an hour? Surprising. Anyways, EK348 would be last one to reach anyways. I was fooled by the long lines. They were for EK405 and EK355. EK348 was as close to empty! Only 4 people checked in before me! Only 2 counters were dedicated for EK348. I wasn't aware that there was only one line, and then they separated. Unknowingly, I walked to the shortest line, just before sounds came from behind 'Hey! The line begins here!' No it wasn't a rude voice, in case you are thinking!
So I talked to the gentleman in front of me. Conversation starts with me.
'Terribly sorry about that, sir.'
'Oh, not at all! How are you today?'
I'm fantastic! How about you?'
'All well!'
'So are you flying into Colombo tonight?'
'No, I'm heading for Dubai. Does this flight stop over in Colombo?'
'Indeed, it does.'
'Well, its not mentioned here in the ticket!'
'Well...it does.'
'I need to check.. *sees ticket*, oh, is this EK355?'
'Oh no! This is EK348!'
'I'm glad you asked! Thank you! You get my spot here then!'
'Haha, enjoy your flight!'
'You too!'

And then, he walked away, to the horrific long lines of EK355! I'm sure he is one of many people who get confused with this, there is absolutely NO POINT of having 3 flights in the same time.

Well, I'm in the correct line, no doubt!

A very cheerful lady welcomed me. Quickly, my bag was weighed and boarding pass was given. I asked if the flight was full, and the reply was 'Quite full sir, enjoy your flight!' Well, not too many people were in line, maybe because they had already checked in before me.
Immigration followed..

And then, the Duty Free. Once again, this airport reminded me of HKG.

And C20 was my gate.

I decided to check the Facebook, (lots of notifications), but before, a bit of spotting:

If only it was the day Sad

Maybe she belongs to Jet Airways!

I have to say, Singapore as a city is better than Dubai. BUT, the number of SQ planes in SIN is MUCH MUCH less than the number of EK planes in DXB. Fascinating! Browsing of the internet followed, where I read that Alonso was happy about getting a lucky podium.

There is one unsurprising cancellation there!
I bought some souvenirs then.

In the shop, a very familiar autograph..oh wait! Indeed it is Fernando Alonso!

Buying the bath towel was an option, but I refrained.

Gate C20 was open. No travelators required, because it was the first gate anyways. So then, I decided to board the aircraft and relax.

Indeed! Someone like me! LOTUS!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
At exactly 0001 hours, I came face to face with the one and only, Bravo Charlie!

The security check followed, which was quick. There were a few Filipino workers travelling with us. After I was 'boarded', I took a seat, facing Bravo Charlie.

Once again, if only this was the day Sad

She was EK405.

Holding area.

Good morning announcements came around, with the usual zone wise boarding procedure. I was in almost the same zone as EK348, but on the other side. So I waited. If I had to wait, why not take a few pictures with the telephoto lens?!

That is my personal favourite shot from this flight Smile

The GE90!

Once again, registration was known much before seeing the aircraft Smile

Boarding was called. Zone wise, yes, but there were less passengers, so the boarding was called quite quickly.

Here we go then! 25th of September, and the Boeing 777-300ER! Doesn't get better, does it?

Almost there!

Hey hey wait! I didn't mention one thing: boarding pass stubs! Yes, they were kept! Intact! No one to tear it off! Could this have been my first ever whole boarding pass? Indeed it was!
I was welcomed on board by a cheerful FA. I asked about the stub, and she replied 'In most of the stations they are torn off, but in Singapore they keep it.' So then I walked back to my seat, 27A, for my unexpected birthday flight!

If that Qantas tail was replaced by an Emirates tail, one would think we are in Dubai. But this is a perfect shot for their new alliance!

And a quick change to telephoto once again Smile

EK355.

If there was anything wrong, it was the song. Anyone who has flown Emirates this year, will hear the song they keep playing. Its always the same. But this time, that wasn't the case. Something maybe was not quite right. And then, I looked inside the cabin..

Convenient seat numbering!

WHAT IS THIS?!?!! PS-Sumantra sir, this maybe the answer to your plug point question..

Hot towels were given out to the passengers, while I tucked into 'Housefull 2'.

No Emirates! That is NOT how you keep an aircraft! Especially a Boeing 777-300ER!

Disappointment already. Aircraft maintenance is bad!

Meanwhile, the female Captain came over the PA to give us details about the flight. She said that other than 45 minutes of turbulence after take off, everything would be smooth.

At 0059 hours, EK349 was pushed back for its flight to Dubai via Colombo.

Thankfully, the safety video got over just before the MOOO of the GE-90s began. This time, everything was, once again, vibrating. Really vigorously!

But despite this, the engines were running, and we kept waiting, for nearly 10 minutes. Just stood there, doing nothing...

Until we finally starting moving, before a long, quite and lonely taxi to the active. Luckily no one was sitting in the two seats next to me, so the birthday flight was perfected by another notch!

We turned onto the runway and braked. A few seconds later, brakes were disengaged, full power applied to the GE-90s, a very light Bravo Charlie took off into the starry skies of Singapore, starting its long and shaky climb to its cruising level, 35000 and then 37000 feet.

After the announcements of all the languages and stuff, nothing happened. Lights were out. Everyone obeyed the signs of seat belts, nobody moved. I kept watching the movie, time was passing quickly.

Notice the lighting I got?!

Another announcement followed, this time, about the delay in meal service which would start 'shortly'. Indeed it did. The FAs were frantically searching for passengers who ordered special meals. Because of the light loads, everyone was scattered, so the FAs had troubles finding the passengers with reserved meals. One of them also came and asked me if I was in my original seat. Indeed I was! One drink trolley and two food trolleys went.
I went for the option, and Emirates being Emirates, it was FABULOUS!

I also took a Pepsi, little while later.

Mood lighting was set in, and the trays were taken. I vowed NEVER to sleep on a plane, (especially this day, because it was the birthday!), but I simply couldn't resist temptation of 3 seats!

My first class bed for the night.

Kill The DJ by Green Day
Paradise by Coldplay
These songs were on repeat, so they kept playing, every time I woke up. But then, I had found just the perfect angle and the sweet spot, to go off to sleep. Although narrow, it was just so comfortable! If only I had my pajamas on! I kept sleeping and waking up. This was turning out to be one the best flights ever!

Oh well who cares? I'm sleeping!

Time just went past. Captain made her announcements, so everyone woke up. I quickly went to the washroom, and just as I came back and sat, flaps were being deployed! Oh well, I was really late!
Approach was smooth, but the only thing that scared me was the last minute course adjustment, just when the runway was right there! It looked scary through the nose view camera, I hoped it was a go around. Instead, at 0221 hours, a smooth landing took place. Singapore trip, Formula One, Boeing 777, all had ended, and I felt really nice about all of it.

Bravo Charlie was then parked at Gate 9. Windows were fogged, once again.

Who is missing? Cathay Pacific Smile

Doors were opened to let all the passengers out. I was one of the last ones, as usual..

At 0230 hours, I exited Bravo Charlie and headed for immigration.

Looking at EMR I thanked EK for 27 hours of awesomeness, after South Africa. But here, looking at EBC, that number has increased to 35 hours. They are simply awesome, that's all!

Boarding passes were checked, in case someone thought this was Dubai. I also noticed the Filipino worker's boarding pass: Lufthansa! Even now, the stubs were intact. A full boarding pass coming home? WOW!
The warmth of the T20 world cup welcomed me back home, for another day of school.

Who, who would have known, they would be the champions?

For once, we were the only flight which had arrived. It meant that I was out of the airport, just a mere 25 minutes after I got off from the aircraft, a new record in Colombo! Yes, baggage was there very, very quickly! I ha d to wait for another 10 minutes, before Mum and Dad arrived. Indeed, I was wished a happy birthday Smile

I came back home, somehow got some rest and went to school. Not only did I have red eyes, everyone's wishes were just fantastic! Little things jst change your day! And now, in my room, this has been hung:

(Also note the Mumbai Indians vuvuzela!)

So then here you are! A rushed Singapore trip, with SO MANY things happening all throughout! This was most definitely one of the best trips in my life! Everything was fantastic!

And now, for the bad things.
Emirates.
Never NEVER on time. Learn from IndiGo! While EK349 didn't have any fault of its own, I don't think EK348's timing was acceptable. -1 hour in Singapore, oh damn!
Condition. Bad bad Bravo Charlie! That definitely wasn't expected on a B77W! Its alright if it was an A332, but still.
Singapore and Jurong were simply great, nothing bad in them. Although a bit more information maybe, I was a bit lost while finding Mustafa.
And for the worst thing in this trip was?
Me.
Indeed, I was the worst thing in this trip.
I may have been a guest at someones house, but I was really badly disorganized. My things were scattered around everywhere! It was difficult because of the small bag, but I should have taken more responsibility anyways. During the race, I changed my seats. Once the race was over, I was shocked to find my lens and the lens pouch on the ground. I had dropped it, didn't even notice it and luckily no one took it! I dropped my MRT pass, which I mentioned before. I am lucky to have returned home with my wallet, phone, iPod and small camera, because I just had them in such vulnerable places. Lastly, my walking. I just kept walking on and on during the Sunday and Monday. I had to take a holiday from school because of this tiredness. Eating beef in the middle of the night was bad, as I had a burning sensation in my stomach for a few days. Apologies for being a Biman Bangaldesh, I simply had no time to finish this TR, despite it being 'progressive'. One positive I can take from here, like my India trip, was money management. 500SG$ was given, I spent less than half. This will no doubt be important later.

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the last two installments:
- Love your wing shots! The window frame and the wing shot was superb!
- EK food looks nice Smile The presentation is also good, with the contoured trays
- Are the power-ports under the seat covers: one per pair of seats, or is it different?
- You were lucky to get nice crew on board, who switched on the mood lighting for you to take pictures! The service also looked excellent. I guess EK has a very loyal customer in you, and this will fill your JetPrivilege account, too.
- The window fogging out...is frustrating! I have experienced this too, quite a few times in muggy weather
- Looking forward to the next parts!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
On the last two installments:
- Love your wing shots! The window frame and the wing shot was superb!
- EK food looks nice Smile The presentation is also good, with the contoured trays
- Are the power-ports under the seat covers: one per pair of seats, or is it different?
- You were lucky to get nice crew on board, who switched on the mood lighting for you to take pictures! The service also looked excellent. I guess EK has a very loyal customer in you, and this will fill your JetPrivilege account, too.
- The window fogging out...is frustrating! I have experienced this too, quite a few times in muggy weather
- Looking forward to the next parts!
Cheers, Sumantra.

-Power ports. Ah yes. I should have known. Your latest trend of comments (UA B772, AI B787, etc), have something with the power ports. I'm sorry, but I didn't notice it. Although, I am assuming it was right underneath the arm rest. The second flight will have a clearer description. (Yes, that aircraft wasn't very well maintained.)
-After South Africa, there wasn't any doubt about which airline I would fly on this surprise trip! CX well, like I mentioned, never on time. UL have A320s, no more widebodies, while Tiger Airways was low cost. I am now, a loyal customer of theirs. Crew has always been friendly on EK, in all situations (yes, FLGs reference Razz ). Its simply awesome how they suddenly turned on the mood lighting!
-Lots to write in the next parts!

Regards
Jishnu
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, you have built up the background to the F1 excitement very nicely!
Just a little query - at first sight, the ground for the Maroon 5 and Katy Perry concert looked a bit like the Padang/Kallang, but this area does not look like Connaught Drive. The Padang/Kallang, which is Singapore's cricket ground, has the INA memorial somewhere close-by. For a country where the fourth language is one of Indian origin (Tamil), it is surprising that the people of India origin have but forgotten that this was the very place where Netaji had taken salute at the formation of the Indian National Army. Sentosa's Singapore History Museum has but a passing reference to this. On my first trip to the place in 2002, I had missed out on the INA memorial. I was determined to search it out, and finally was able to locate it, in 2004.
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are quite rough right now, I will try and get back ASAP.
Regards
Jishnu
theflyingsikh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive report. Nice photos of Singapore. I was there about 3 weeks ago while they were still preparing for the GrandPrix and my room at Conrad Centennial had direct views of the Singapore GP Street Circuit. I so much wish I was there a week later.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures! Seeing stars going around in old cars was simply wonderful.
Thanks, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 am; edited 3 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely blow-by-blow account: both of the race, and the aftermath. Very nice descriptions of both - it was almost like being there with you!
Thanks, Sumantra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: