Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

@karatecatman(KCM): missing you on AI.net!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Non Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumantra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: @karatecatman(KCM): missing you on AI.net! Reply with quote

Mods, please delete this if you find this unsuitable.
I chose this forum over the `Site Related' link as perhaps more readers
(KCM included) will possibly read this forum more.
This is an open request to (ex-?)member @karatecatman (KCM):
We miss your Air India inside information.
We miss your informative posts.
We miss the MAA gang spotting trip reports.
Let bygones be bygones, and let us get over misunderstandings.
It will be very nice if you could join the forum again!
Cheers, Sumantra.
AKLDELNonstop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it another case of an overzealous moderator driving out a member?
HamiltonAir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did KCM go?
yash777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamiltonAir wrote:
Where did KCM go?

He was banned a few weeks back. I miss him too. I wonder if he'll join again.
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a surprise......KCMs posts were very interesting especially the News reports.Any reason for the ban.
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWK21M wrote:
This is a surprise......KCMs posts were very interesting especially the News reports.Any reason for the ban.

He was not banned. He chose to voluntarily quit the forum over the issue of a thread title.
sammyk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this all happened in public anyway I'll explain here:

The AI News and AI Turnaround threads were starting to have the same content. So we were asking posters to please put any AI News in the News thread and only news related to the turnaround in the Turnaround thread. Well, Mr. KCM did not like this and said all current AI news was turnaround news anyway and that all should be posted in the Turnaround thread. Of course news like "All women crew" or expected aircraft deliveries had nothing to do with the turnaround so his claim wasn't true. Then it was decided that we simply go back to the News thread after the current Turnaround thread reached ten pages. Again, Mr. KCM was not happy and threw a tantrum. Well if you're going to act like a child then you will be treated like one. I closed the existing AI News thread and renamed the Turnaround thread to the next News thread. Mr. KCM was now blowing steam. He started his name calling and insults at the moderation team. Started creating new Turnaround threads even when they were being deleted. Started claiming that the rules were being broken, etc. and how long term posters shouldn't be treated in some manner. It was an administrative decision which did not affect what he posted, why should it matter what the thread's title was? The content remains the same! This sort of thing is very common on any message board. So since Mr. KCM did not get what he wanted he basically took his ball and went home.

With that said, KCM's contributions were excellent but his childish behavior was unexpected. He is welcome to come back anytime he wants but we are not going to sit here and invite him or beg him to come back, it's his call.
Aseem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:

He was not banned. He chose to voluntarily quit the forum over the issue of a thread title.

He made persistent request that is profile be deleted from the forum, and nothing less. As this is public forum, it entirely up to oneself to contribute or not. We could have chosen not to have deleted his profile, but his request was granted due to his insisting.

Now that this is being discussed in public, let me tell you that I recently got a request to delete a profile from another member, and no questions to be asked. I shall not be deleting the profile, and will leave it entirely up to them.

As Sammy said, it was his decision to quit, and it shall be his decision to rejoin.

regards
Aseem
JETFLY787

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKLDELNonstop wrote:

Sadly enough one of the most contributing member gets kicked out (or decides to leave) whichever way you look at it
sammyk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETFLY787 wrote:
AKLDELNonstop wrote:

Sadly enough one of the most contributing member gets kicked out (or decides to leave) whichever way you look at it

You can blame moderation all you want but there was no "overzealous moderation" in this case and no one was kicked out or banned. KCM wanted something done his way, he didn't get it, so he left. It's unfortunate but it seems he let his ego take control.
me111993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody,
As it has been stated earlier, it is entirely upto Kcm now and if he wants to return, he will return, it's as simple as that. There is now no need to place blame on anybody.

- Greg House
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
con spirito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETFLY787 wrote:
AKLDELNonstop wrote:

I know he was the most contributing member.We all respect him a lot. But there is only ONE way to look at it. He is out because of his own decision, no one forced him to. And he did only because he has some attitude problem.
So please look at the reason why he left before making statements of 'him being kicked out.'
TKMCE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know this gentleman KCM, but had the greatest respect for his postings. I also read some of the posts where he expressed his frustration at being let down by what he saw as "overzealous moderation". Well I feel he had a point. even I have felt and I also know of atleast a few others who feel the same way - some cases some members get away scot free - while others are stamped down! Can be frustrating - and I guess I can sympathise with KCM- he is not alone in feeling some members here are dealt with too leniently and as a result some of us wonder why we even bother to continue - well why do I for instance??? I guess being an old timer here - you do get frustrated with what I just described as going on - but you also see that despite all this this forum does have its share of balanced discussions and above all, in the end for me atleast it has led to a few good friendships . In the end I guess the pros have outweighed the cons - atleast so far!!!!

A few idle thoughts from a wandering mind Neutral
Nimish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said many times in the past, any member who respects the rules of the forum is more than welcome here. KCM is pretty good at the rules, and while there was some disconnect regarding the thread titles, IMO it was nothing major, and definitely not something to quit the forum over. So perhaps KCM had some other reasons to leave, and this was the last straw - I have no idea and am only wildly speculating.

And let me be very clear, neither was KCM banned, nor asked to leave, nor did we delete him at our own will. We are bound by the same rules and have more sense than to do something drastic to loose one of our key contributors.

As earlier - anyone who is willing to play by the rules is more than welcome here - and we continue to operate at no charge Smile
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not KCM specific but I just want to point out that on any web forum, once a member settles in and has thousands of posts under his belt, he tends to get complacent and rude.Such members feel relatively insulated from threats of administrator or moderator action. I'm not kidding, you have probably seen this happen for yourself.
TKMCE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
This is not KCM specific but I just want to point out that on any web forum, once a member settles in and has thousands of posts under his belt, he tends to get complacent and rude.Such members feel relatively insulated from threats of administrator or moderator action. I'm not kidding, you have probably seen this happen for yourself.

If I may say so, there is every chance that that such pre-conceived, half baked generalisaitons which indicates moderator insecurity than anything else may have led to KCM geting frustrated.

Take it easy - buddy! Just because some one has 1000 or 2000 posts in a forum doesnt mean that one automatically tneds to get "complacent and rude" Dont throw in generalisations left right and centre!!!
Aseem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKMCE wrote:
Take it easy - buddy! Just because some one has 1000 or 2000 posts in a forum doesnt mean that one automatically tneds to get "complacent and rude" Dont throw in generalisations left right and centre!!!

Again not being KCM specific! But this can happen in any kind of environment, most certainly at workplace, where if you are doing good you tend to feel that you can get away with some amount of liberty.

Lets be factual, what will a moderator of any forum do if bombarded with requests to delete his profile on trivial matters? Try that on other forums and see. At least we are having a discussion over here!!
sammyk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If KCM had issues with moderation and this was the "final straw" then did he bring these issues up? What were they?

TKMCE, while what Spider says is a generalization it is not without basis. Forums everywhere have such posters that get comfortable and become rude to new members.

Somewhat related, KCM did say "This is not the way long standing members are treated." What does that even mean? Does that mean he deserved special treatment because he'd been here so long? Shouldn't everyone be treated the same? Was this not happening? Was Moderation informed?
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:

I don't agree to that statement....Just if a member posts large number of posts does not make him rude.....

To the topic of KCM......Sad that it was such a minor issue that caused him to quit.....But I guess its an individuals desicion & one should respect it.
I do hope that KCM returns back sometime in the future.
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWK21M wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

I don't agree to that statement....Just if a member posts large number of posts does not make him rude.....

Mel - I agree with you - just posting a large number of posts does not make anyone rude. However I think what Spiderguy's pointing out is that *sometimes* established and prominent members may get complacent. This is often not in a negative light as such members set their own trends and can be leading lights (esp when the group is at it's infancy). Such members should ideally take on the responsibility of shaping the forum, and help make it the way they want it to be.
sammyk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel, obviously that is not the case in every situation but it is common enough where a generalization is not off the mark.
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean that anybody and everybody with 5k odd posts adopt that attitude, it's just those select few. And this is true for 9 out of 10 message boards.
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope KCM returns on his own to help this forum like the rest of us try too help this forum move along.
It would not be appropriate if he was requested/forced to return.It has to be willing from his own side.

I believe most of us joined this forum for Information/To share our common Interest in Aviation news/photography/discussion.

For this forum to stay sucessfull,its important that small issues are tackled maturly & the Big picture is viewed always....which in this case is AVIATION.This goes for both Mods & members.

cheers
AirIndia0001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly summed up, Mel.
G-BYGB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCM,being the journalist was the only memeber,that I can think of,who had easy access to all the latest news and reports relating to Airlines and Airports.

We definitely miss him.
flightgearpilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, so much of action and drama that I've been missing.. Wink

I think to some extent, the relative anonymity of a web forum is somehow responsible for heightened emotions. People generally are much more polite and courteous in a face-to-face environment than over the web. And that may be the main reason for the alleged "immature" behaviour and the alleged "overzealousness".

Whatever be the reason, I think it is good to realize that the active members of this forum are here because of their interest in aviation. It is also good to remember that there are humans behind the posts, and getting slighted, concerned or offended is very much part of being human.

So, mods and KCM (if you are reading this), please step back a bit respectively, forgive and forget and be friends once again.. Wink
sshank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyk wrote:
Since this all happened in public anyway I'll explain here:

The AI News and AI Turnaround threads were starting to have the same content. So we were asking posters to please put any AI News in the News thread and only news related to the turnaround in the Turnaround thread. Well, Mr. KCM did not like this and said all current AI news was turnaround news anyway and that all should be posted in the Turnaround thread. Of course news like "All women crew" or expected aircraft deliveries had nothing to do with the turnaround so his claim wasn't true. Then it was decided that we simply go back to the News thread after the current Turnaround thread reached ten pages. Again, Mr. KCM was not happy and threw a tantrum. Well if you're going to act like a child then you will be treated like one. I closed the existing AI News thread and renamed the Turnaround thread to the next News thread. Mr. KCM was now blowing steam. He started his name calling and insults at the moderation team. Started creating new Turnaround threads even when they were being deleted. Started claiming that the rules were being broken, etc. and how long term posters shouldn't be treated in some manner. It was an administrative decision which did not affect what he posted, why should it matter what the thread's title was? The content remains the same! This sort of thing is very common on any message board. So since Mr. KCM did not get what he wanted he basically took his ball and went home.

With that said, KCM's contributions were excellent but his childish behavior was unexpected. He is welcome to come back anytime he wants but we are not going to sit here and invite him or beg him to come back, it's his call.

Well it certainly looks like there was childish behavior on both ends - so what if he posted some stuff in the turn around thread - was that going to hasten the end of the world? This certainly looks like a case of overzealous moderation to me - we have lost an active member who generally provided up to date and breaking info/news, and we are poorer for having lost him.
Aseem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its part of moderation job that the threads remain relevant. All that was done was the name of the thread was changed from "turn around" to the next version of Air India thread. None of the posts were deleted. Where is overzealousness over here??? How does this justify throwing tantrums?? I have given countless warnings to KCM about posting threads in wrong forums, and never took action due to his contributions.

In June end we will be opening up for the rotational mod position, and unlike last time I sincerely hope that people will come up to walk the talk!

Like it or not, but I am ending the discussion over here by emphatically stating that moderation team will not be approaching KCM to come back. But, if he wishes he can re-register and start enjoying aviation discussion.

Aseem
on behalf of Moderation Team.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Non Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: