Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brussels Airlines joins Star Alliance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> International
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me111993

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Brussels Airlines joins Star Alliance Reply with quote

Thursday December 10, 2009
Resource Center

Brussels Airlines yesterday became the 26th member of Star Alliance in ceremonies in the Belgian capital, 12 months after it was invited to join and following the conclusion of a strategic partnership with Lufthansa, which acquired 45% of parent SN Air Holding in June.

"Since its inception, Star carriers have been flying to Brussels but from today on we can start developing the airport as a hub," Star CEO Jaan Albrecht said. With the addition of Brussels Airlines, the Star Alliance network covers 1,077 destinations in 175 countries including four new destinations in Africa: Bujumbura, Conakry, Kigali and Monrovia.

"Eight years after SN Brussels Airlines was created [as successor to Sabena], we are extremely proud to become a member of Star Alliance," SN co-CEO Bernard Gustin said, pointing out that for Brussels Airport, located between SkyTeam hubs at Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam and "not too far" from oneworld's hub at London Heathrow, "this is a key opportunity."

According to SN figures, Star members operate up to 190 daily weekday departures from BRU to 80 destinations. Five Star airlines operate to 19 long-haul destinations and 14 alliance members operate intra-European services. Star carriers currently represent some 55% of all flight movements at BRU. In line with its "under one roof" strategy, Star reportedly is eyeing the airport's Terminal A, which serves Schengen destinations as well as SN's African flights, as a co-location area.

Ahead of yesterday's formal induction, SN entered into bilateral commercial agreements with several Star members and signed codeshare deals with Blue1, Austrian Airlines, EgyptAir and Spanair. It extended agreements with Lufthansa, Swiss International Air Lines, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, TAP Portugal, Adria Airways and future member Aegean Airlines.

Gustin confirmed to ATWOnline that SN is negotiating codeshare deals with Air Canada, United Airlines, US Airways and Continental Airlines. AC and UA have announced new service to BRU from Montreal and Chicago O'Hare respectively, while US will increase its Philadelphia service to daily next summer. Agreements with CO and UA would replace the current agreement with American Airlines that terminates at the end of March.

"We cannot walk faster than the music," Gustin explained. "We're a small carrier. It takes time to implement all the codeshare agreements." He said he expects Star membership, combined with SN's participation in LH's Miles & More loyalty program, to lift passenger numbers by 4%-5%.

me111993
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this has something to do with 9W at all.
me111993

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 Posted:
Quote:
I wonder if this has something to do with 9W at all

Not yet. I have thought about this before as well, if you note airline alliances of the 3 major Indian International carriers, you will see that AI is set to join Star Alliance (lets hope so Very Happy ) by 2010, IT's FFP members include AF-KLM/ DL-NW and CO along with a few other alliance independent carriers, out of whom AF-KLM and DL/NW are by far the most powerful Sky Team carriers, CO was also in this list, but it joined Star Alliance. 9W have alot of FFP members Very Happy Very Happy but they have code shared flights with AA/QF and SN out of which AA and QF feature in the long list of large, dominant and powerful One world carriers.
SO say by 2015, AI would have either joined Star Alliance or will still be in the process to do so Very Happy Surprised , IT would have joined Skyteam and 9W would have joined One World, then code sharing flights with SN would be difficult!!!!!

If things work out the way I have planned them, then by 2015, 9W will be operating 14 daily flights out of BRU to BOM, DEL, AMD, HYD, BLR, ATQ, MAA, EWR, JFK, YYZ, IAD, IAH, BOS, and ORD with loads exceding 85% and heavy profits on these routes, they will perhaps buy out a stake SN Very Happy Very Happy or fly directly to destinations like BHX, MXP, etc, etc!!!!
This is unfortunately NOT fantacy land but boy I hope it's true Surprised Laughing Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation Idea

Cheers
me111993
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> International All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: