Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horrible Scenes at Mumbai Airport!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rutvij

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Horrible Scenes at Mumbai Airport! Reply with quote

Horrible Scenes at Mumbai Airport!

CSIA's Terminal 2 is undergoing a Temporary Revamp. As many would have observed, the Areas 2A, 2B or 2C are no more. There are now Gates A, B, C & D in their Place starting from the AI Terminal (2C). 2C = Gate A and so on....in dat order. While Airlines using these so called 'Gates' remain the same, Passengers Checking-In at Gates B & C have to go all the way to Gate A (Air India Section) for Immigration & then walk down almost the same length upto their Respective Gates in Gates C/D!!!........sounds funny......Gate 12 in Gate C........isn't it?

Traffic at the Terminal is horrible at Night (10pm-3am). They Amended the Approach to the Terminal's Departure Area. The trademark Terminal 2 Departure Fly-Over has been Pulled down. The Flyover that was used to Exit from T2's 2C side is now being used. Pax using Gates C/D.....the ones using BA/LH/LX/GF get Stuck up in Traffic in front of Gates A/B (The AI Area) for almost 10-20 min. Premium Hotel's Chauffeurs that themselves Alight and take the bags out.....Complicate this problem even further!

Recently, the Passenger See-Off Area was Removed. Subsequently, they had to reserve 1 lane for the Public comin to See-Off Pax. Now, the Visiting ppl crowd the Entry to the Terminal Bldg. Atleast 5 min Loss here, for Sure!

The Result: Total Chaos.

Traffic: Almost a 'Western Express Highway during Peak Hours' kinda feel. Atleast WEH has 5-10 Lanes!
Crowd: Almost like a Suburban Train Station.

Here are some Pics of the Crowded T2 taken recently. Taken during this busy Season for Student going Abroad for Studies.

Notice the traffic infront of Gates A & B (earlier 2C). And also, the Crowd Below.

The Mess Below.

Ppl Crowding the Entry to the Bldg. Many of these r Parents of Students goin Abroad for Studies.

Just 2 X-ray Machines Active, at Night Peak Hrs.....WTF.
Amitabh S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes dude, it is a complete mess. earlier this month, on my way to Amsterdam, i had to literally push and shove my way into the terminal. Even the guards seemed helpless with a sea of humanity surging forward - the best part, long after the near and dear one has disappeared into the labyrinth of Mumbai airport, the near and dear ones are still loitering right at the entrance - why? Can u even see the passengers from there? Utter nonsense.

What i dont understand is why do entire families have to turn up at airports to see off someone? Cant this be done at home? There's no love lost if you dont see off people till the departure gate - thank god non-passengers are not let in else one can only imagine what would have been the state of affairs inside, truly pathetic.
D-ABTH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. its a mess.. we got used to it
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the work gets completed on schedule.
I too wonder why so many folks want to see off an individual going abroad at the terminal itself.

regds
MEL
the_380

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWK21M wrote:

And when does the schedule state it to get over? Any idea?

@ rutvij:
Is that a hummer in the first pic? Wink
Been quite some time since i saw the last hummer here...
HamiltonAir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man the pics speaks for themself, it doesnt look like an airport to me looks more like a railway station.
vt-ala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What just got over in DEL T2 has now started in BOM T2. If experience is anything to bank on, then BOM should learn to live with this for at least 6-9 months.
patkini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is bound to go till the integrated (domestic+international) terminal @ sahar is up n running, which i read somewhere is only due to be opened in 2012 Mad .

Well, about the people who crowd the airport to see of people, its not easy 1st for parents n close relatives to accept that "a kid" from there vicinity is going away for a long time. Also, lets not 4get that earlier flying was a privilege only for a few, but now many are starting to do the same. Hence, you just cannot discount the fact that they would wanna experience the airport 1st hand (believe me, most do not know that the terminal is inaccessible to any1 w.o a valid ticket). Also, most are unaware about the actual state of renovation n how they r hampering it. I think the airlines and the management could do their bit, by somehow finding alternate ways to ensure their crew do not add to the mess (when they arrive in style on the huge buses or classic cars). They could just have 1 of the numerous entrances for the crew.

And about the mess caused by the construction activity, well as we all CSIA is constrained by space, so every1 just has to bear with it. Luckily, its being executed by L&T, and i hope they can manage the best in the best time possible.

rgds,
Prathamesh
rutvij

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_380 wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:

And when does the schedule state it to get over? Any idea?

@ rutvij:
Is that a hummer in the first pic? Wink
Been quite some time since i saw the last hummer here...

*2010 for the Construction to START.
2012 to END. BTW, Dates make no Difference in INDIA. Wink Its Bound to get Delayed by atleast a Coupla yrs! (Read: Votebanks)

*Yep, its a Humvee!
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian families will always come to the airport to drop off and pick up their loved ones. It's a cultural trait that should be factored into any airport design in India. We all know that the IAAI was too stupid to do that, but lets hope that these private developers have half a brain.
Nimish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIAL seems to have planned for enough place for folks to see their near-dear ones off. Plus the outside of the terminal has plenty of reasonably priced eateries as well. Maybe they want everyone to hang around outside until just before boarding time Wink?
justbala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
BIAL seems to have planned for enough place for folks to see their near-dear ones off. Plus the outside of the terminal has plenty of reasonably priced eateries as well. Maybe they want everyone to hang around outside until just before boarding time Wink?

And enough and more place for folks to wave goodbye till the aircraft is a small dot in the sky!!

I agree that Indian airport designers need to keep the 1:20 ratio in mind.
sreenath_y

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats pretty normal for BOM T2 and the chaos in the night. Indian airports really need to handle that 1:20 factor. One guy going to the US for the first time... woooo the whole of BOM comes to see him off!!! But thats the way Indians have been thru the years be it a bus, a train or a plane.
Manny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a positive note, the interiors of the terminal look better than they did like 8 months ago when i was last in BOM. No more kota stone!
sri_bom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amitabh S wrote:
yes dude, it is a complete mess. earlier this month, on my way to Amsterdam, i had to literally push and shove my way into the terminal. Even the guards seemed helpless with a sea of humanity surging forward - the best part, long after the near and dear one has disappeared into the labyrinth of Mumbai airport, the near and dear ones are still loitering right at the entrance - why? Can u even see the passengers from there? Utter nonsense.

What i dont understand is why do entire families have to turn up at airports to see off someone? Cant this be done at home? There's no love lost if you dont see off people till the departure gate - thank god non-passengers are not let in else one can only imagine what would have been the state of affairs inside, truly pathetic.

Agree from a logical point of view thats what should be done, but as Indians/Asians we are highly emotional people and thats one of the reasons why we all like to go to the bus stop, rail station, airport with "Band Baja" and I am guilty of this too.

But guess what its nice to know that you have so many loved ones from friends and families who show up by taking off their time to see one off. I think this is one the biggest traits of the Indian soceity that keeps us glued as a family unlike in the West and US where its not so strong.

Sri_Bom
EXDLIN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
This is my first post.
I'm curious, Rutvj, you mentioned the Trademark Flyover has been pulled down. How do pax get to what used to be 2A? Where do they enter from?

A little background, My name's Des, have worked previously with KL/NW & DL at Mumbai Arpt & upto 2003.

Thanks,
Des[/quote]
Amitabh S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sri_bom wrote:

Agree from a logical point of view thats what should be done, but as Indians/Asians we are highly emotional people and thats one of the reasons why we all like to go to the bus stop, rail station, airport with "Band Baja" and I am guilty of this too.

But guess what its nice to know that you have so many loved ones from friends and families who show up by taking off their time to see one off. I think this is one the biggest traits of the Indian soceity that keeps us glued as a family unlike in the West and US where its not so strong.

Sri_Bom

Hey Sri buddy, chill Smile i didnt mean to low down anyone regards the indian culture, i know thats our strongest points! BUt i guess we just overdo it at the Airport isnt it?
Nimish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXDLIN wrote:
A little background, My name's Des, have worked previously with KL/NW & DL at Mumbai Arpt & upto 2003.

Hi Des and welcome to this forum. Which airline do you work with now?
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 is when the work will be accomplished & the usage begans.....But this is scheduled date......As often its always behind schedule. Smile
regds
MEL
the_380

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWK21M wrote:
2012 is when the work will be accomplished & the usage begans.....But this is scheduled date......As often its always behind schedule. Smile

Considering GVK a private company, all we can do is hope they delays aren't too much... Smile
HAWK21M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_380 wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:

Considering GVK a private company, all we can do is hope they delays aren't too much... Smile

Unfortunately the delays are not because of GVK,but rather to red tapeism....which is frustrating for GVK too.

regds
MEL
rutvij

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXDLIN wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post.
I'm curious, Rutvj, you mentioned the Trademark Flyover has been pulled down. How do pax get to what used to be 2A? Where do they enter from?

Thanks,
Des
[/quote]

As I said, the Ramp that was used for Exiting from 2C is now being used for getting onto the Departure Level. The same one, and that only one, is used for 2A as well. Thats the Problem.

Regds,
Rutvij
BigTom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWK21M wrote:
Unfortunately the delays are not because of GVK,but rather to red tapeism....which is frustrating for GVK too.

regds
MEL

Yeah Mel sounds about right, friends of mine in GVK are climbing the walls in frustration over these issues.

Cheers
rutvij

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTom wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:

regds
MEL

Yeah Mel sounds about right, friends of mine in GVK are climbing the walls in frustration over these issues.

Cheers

Its all Vote-Bank Politics.
EXDLIN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXDLIN wrote:

Hi Des and welcome to this forum. Which airline do you work with now?

Thanks Nimish,
At present I'm not with any airline. I have however kept upto date with most happenings back home, thanks to all AI-nutters here!!
vivekman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect more delays at BOM airport

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=a7ac7c4b-ebc0-47fe-abdf-cf9fc502f1d6

Come October, flying in and out of Mumbai will not be a cakewalk for the next two years. Modernisation work at the airport — including the construction of a parallel taxiway and a rapid exit taxiway — will affect the normal operation of flights, warned officials at the Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Along with constructing the two taxiways, Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) is trying to enhance the efficiency of the cross runway ‘14/32’ in three phases.

** As per the article above, MIAL is building a rapid exit taxiway. This is at the 09 end of the airport in place of the old "Delta" taxiway.

Also, it is planned to "enhance the efficiency" of Runway 14/32. Now the only way to enhance its efficiency is to construct a parallel taxiway and rapid exit taxiways on this runway. Currently, there is a parallel taxiway "Zulu" from the intersesction of Rways 27 and 32 to the "32 end" of the runway. However there is no parallel taxiway towards the "14 end" Also there are no rapid exit taxiways on this runway.

Therefore, aircraft have to backtrack to the "14 end" of the runway for take-off. Similarly landing aircraft have to go right up to the end of the runway and then exit via Zulu.

The problem is, that there is absolutely no space to construct a parallel taxiway towards the "14 end" due to the proximity of the ATC tower.

Any inputs on what else can be done?

- Vivek
sreenath_y

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously i doubt theres any space left on the 14 side. Regarding the high-speed exitway in place of delta, its going help a lot meaning a lot! Nowadays heavies pilots have to perhaps stand on the toe brakes to avoid a backtrack! Wonly wone solution, remove those slums out which are south-parallel to 27, demolish 14-32, relocate the AI hangars where the 14 end was, and lay down a 27L.. !! I wonder when BOM had winds prevailing from the SE or NW that theres a 14-32. Weird..

.. I think Im still dreaming around in my Fs world.. !!
rutvij

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psst......I also forgot to tell u guys.......The Pics above were taken on the Day the Serial Blasts Rocked Bangalore. Now thats what u call Tight Security. KABOOOOM!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: