Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9W to start Shanghai and San Francisco ex-Mumbai soon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karatecatman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: 9W to start Shanghai and San Francisco ex-Mumbai soon Reply with quote

Hope this is not old news!!!

NDTV Profit has just said that Naresh Goyal has said that Jet Airways is to start Shanghai, San Francisco flights both from Mumbai.

"We are designated by the (Indian) government to fly to Shanghai from Mumbai as India has very liberal bilateral civil aviation agreement with China. It would be operated from February next year," said Goyal. The airways will also start flying to San Francisco soon, says the channel.
Nimish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like 9W is sticking with their plan of BOM-PVG-SFO Sad. I was hoping that they would reconsider and route everything via the hub in BRU to provide proper route synergies. But I guess 9W is OK with shooting for primarily the BOM-SFO, BOM-PVG and PVG-SFO markets alone, and not much of the BLR-SFO, HYD-SFO or MAA-SFO markets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saurabhm_101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think 9W will use the same BRU strategy with PVG.. connect many cities in India to PVG and from there have flights going to many destinations like SFO, LAX, etc.
nalini123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurabhm_101 wrote:
i think 9W will use the same BRU strategy with PVG.. connect many cities in India to PVG and from there have flights going to many destinations like SFO, LAX, etc.

Yes their target is to create a scissors hub at PVG , with 2 pts in india as BOM , DEL and 2 pts in USA as SFO , LAX
malQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about this:- Mumbai - Shanghai - San Francisco - Toronto - Brussels - Mumbai. PanAm 001 and 002 rides again, sort of.

But anyways, a fast flight to SFO is overdue. I have started placing people on the China International connection Delhi - Taipei - SFO, and it seems to work well. They leave Delhi at 2pm comfortable afternoon departure and arrive SFO by 6pm same date. On the way back they land in Delhi before noon.
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOM-PVG-SFO will be a 773ER i presume?
ryder1650

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFO really needs a connection to DEL as well. I'd say aside from BLR, a lot of the tech traffic goes to the Delhi area (Gurgaon, Noida, etc.).
saurabhm_101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
i think the a332 will make it...
AKLDELNonstop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurabhm_101 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:
i think the a332 will make it...

Prolly but me thinks 773 is more appropriate, because they can firstly get good loads on that sector. Secondly, on BOM-SFO they prolly wud want to have their FC product.
VABBy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malQ wrote:
I have started placing people on the China International connection Delhi - Taipei - SFO, and it seems to work well. They leave Delhi at 2pm comfortable afternoon departure and arrive SFO by 6pm same date. On the way back they land in Delhi before noon.

Pardon me Veeresh but has CI changed its timings Ex DEL wasnt this a red eye arrival into IGIA around 3ish am IST
malQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CI-182 dep Delhi 1410 arr Taipei 2215
CI-004 dep Taipei 2325 arr SFO 1810

+++
Nimish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurabhm_101 wrote:

Maybe just 2 cities like you mentioned, until the bilaterals are liberalized.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalini123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
saurabhm_101 wrote:

Maybe just 2 cities like you mentioned, until the bilaterals are liberalized.

I think the bilaterals at the moment allow 3 cities each in India and N. America.

BOM-PVG-SFO
DEL-PVG-LAX

the third should might as well be

ATQ-PVG-YVR ( my guess) Very Happy
15a

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules allow for 42 weekly flights to China from India but only 14 weekly to enjoy 5th freedom - and they cover both intermediate and onward points.
Air India is already using a few doing the Bkk-Pvg runs and therefore will claim rights on 7 of these.

Therefore 9W will only have 7 frequencies available - ie only daily flight which is Bom-Pvg-SFO. Until bilaterals are concluded, they will have to live with these rights. In order to provide multiple city access, they could fly Blr-Pvg-Blr and Del-Pvg-Del timing it with the Bom flight. Each of these cities should be able to justify atleast a 3-4x weekly services to Pvg given the growing trade and deepening links.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand why 9W don't route their SFO bound flights as BLR-BRU-SFO and allow for full connectivity to SFO via BLR for Bom, Del, Maa and Blr.
nalini123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
I still don't understand why 9W don't route their SFO bound flights as BLR-BRU-SFO and allow for full connectivity to SFO via BLR for Bom, Del, Maa and Blr.

because BLR is going to be linked with LAX as per what has been discussed earlier & AMD with ORD

And besides BOM-PVG-SFO does seem a lucrative market with actually no direct flights between BOM and PVG.And only UA operates a daily flight between PVG and SFO.

And I'm sure 9W is way better than UA , and definitely can attract pax from China and make use of the 5th rights. I think 9W is doing the right thing
ABN397

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the preferred routing between Delhi and San Francisco nowadays? In the late 80s it was by SQ. Also, what is the approximate RT fare nowadays?
Jaysit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalini123 wrote:
Jaysit wrote:

because BLR is going to be linked with LAX as per what has been discussed earlier & AMD with ORD

And besides BOM-PVG-SFO does seem a lucrative market with actually no direct flights between BOM and PVG.And only UA operates a daily flight between PVG and SFO.

And I'm sure 9W is way better than UA , and definitely can attract pax from China and make use of the 5th rights. I think 9W is doing the right thing

But that still leaves the BLR-SFO market lacking that much touted direct one-plane service.
nalini123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
But that still leaves the BLR-SFO market lacking that much touted direct one-plane service.

Well that is true , Jet can actually go BOM-PVG-LAX , and BLR-BRU-SFO ... or
maybe start just a BLR - PVG - BLR flight and maybe send a combined flight to SFO.

But honestly seeing the traffic here in LA rt now , I see a much needed service first to LAX. As far as SFO is concerned IT is starting BLR - SFO direct
which will be an unnecessary hurdle for 9W with their one stops.

IMO it's high time Indian carriers stop wooing US pax and actually look around in markets like Africa , Australia NZ and far east.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But honestly seeing the traffic here in LA rt now , I see a much needed service first to LAX. As far as SFO is concerned IT is starting BLR - SFO direct
which will be an unnecessary hurdle for 9W with their one stops"

But IT isn't going to get approval to fly internationally until 2009 at the earliest. And until then, both AI and 9W have plenty of time to move in and consolidate their presence on the BLR-SFO sector. If you're a business traveller and have 150,000 Frequent Flyer miles on 9W or similar on AI under Star Alliance, no amount of champagne poured down your throat by Mallya's fawning staff will change your allegiance.

And, yes, I agree that markets like China, Africa and Europe need to be further explored.
nalini123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
But IT isn't going to get approval to fly internationally until 2009 at the earliest.

They can start operations under Deccan's license by Aug 2008. They may just use the the deccan name and offer the Kingfisher product with those wannabe models catwalking up and down the aisles.

Jaysit wrote:
And until then, both AI and 9W have plenty of time to move in and consolidate their presence on the BLR-SFO sector. If you're a business traveller and have 150,000 Frequent Flyer miles on 9W or similar on AI under Star Alliance, no amount of champagne poured down your throat by Mallya's fawning staff will change your allegiance.

AI can set up a good base there if those fools can understand that and stop drooling over the NYC market.

At this point , 9W does not have the aircraft to go BLR - SFO nonstop which is far better than a BLR - BRU - SFO. Also you need to know there are all sorts of pax around. I agree loyal customers will prefer their favourite airline. But it's not that jet can operate everywhere.

Though I appreciate the fact that 9W's one stop is doing far better than AI's non stop, I doubt similar will not be the case with SFO. I understand your view completely , the the important point im trying to make is I feel
the BOM - PVG - SFO is far better market than BLR - BRU - SFO i.e I feel getting that 5th traffic from China to the US will fetch Jet more money considering the only other lousy option available from PVG - SFO .. UA.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalini123 wrote:

At this point , 9W does not have the aircraft to go BLR - SFO nonstop which is far better than a BLR - BRU - SFO. Also you need to know there are all sorts of pax around. I agree loyal customers will prefer their favourite airline. But it's not that jet can operate everywhere.

Though I appreciate the fact that 9W's one stop is doing far better than AI's non stop, I doubt similar will not be the case with SFO. I understand your view completely , the the important point im trying to make is I feel

the BOM - PVG - SFO is far better market than BLR - BRU - SFO i.e I feel getting that 5th traffic from China to the US will fetch Jet more money considering the only other lousy option available from PVG - SFO .. UA.

Well, I'm sure that Jet know what they are doing, but I didn't mean that they should start a BLR-SFO nonstop (which they can't do anyways).

Also, a BRU-SFO flight will allow for one-stop connectivity to SFO from a number of Indian cities, not just BLR.

I suppose there is a lot of pent-up and existing demand between BOM and PVG. However, most Americans are clueless as to the comparative sorry state of affairs of their miserable airlines viz a viz other airlines. They'd rather fly a ratty tatty UA than a swish Jet Airways only because they don't know any better.
nalini123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:

I suppose there is a lot of pent-up and existing demand between BOM and PVG. However, most Americans are clueless as to the comparative sorry state of affairs of their miserable airlines viz a viz other airlines. They'd rather fly a ratty tatty UA than a swish Jet Airways only because they don't know any better.

All points agreed. Yes there is a hell lot of demand on the BOM-PVG route ,as there is no direct service , nearest available is AI via DEL.. and no prizes for guessing what aircraft they use Very Happy

OTOH, I have full faith in Jet's marketing tactics and I'm sure they will do everything to capture the attention of the Americans and Chinese travellers.
Here at LA people are already pulling up their socks/stockings for the 9W operations.
Nimish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize the discussions above - what really makes sense is:

BOM-PVG for O&D - beating the pants down from AI's current 3 stop service on a ratty 310.

India-BRU-US West coast for the India-US West coast market with a one-stop via BRU.

I don't know why 9W is so focussed on the India-PVG-USA sectors - unless they're confident of getting sufficient 5th freedoms to run 3-4 daily services in each direction.

There's demand on the PVG-USA sectors - but it's not like there's no capacity there. And 9W has some way to go before it starts counting on the 5th freedom traffic - it still needs to consolidate on the India-USA traffic first.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: