Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BigBird, Phoenix, AeroClassics compared to Gemini and DW

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Aviation Hobby
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aarbee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: BigBird, Phoenix, AeroClassics compared to Gemini and DW Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Wanted to know how is Big Bird, Phoenix and Aeroclassics compared to Dragon Wings and Gemini Jets.

How is above 3 in terms of body, wings (plastic, metal?), paint, etc.

Between DW and GJ, I think the GJ is slightly better body and DW has slightly better paint.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
sammyk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I used to run an online die cast business selling these little gems I hope I can answer your questions.

All three that you mentioned are all metal construction. The quality of AeroClassics is great. Phoenix is hit and miss and some of their molds are questionable but some are fantastic like their new 777 molds. Their 744, MD-80, and DC-10 (among some others) molds leave much to be desired but can be acceptable to the general collector.

Now, BigBird is a tricky one. The BigBird models that are related to AeroClassics (sometimes called "real" BigBird) are generally known to be the good ones. There are others out there that are called BigBird or BigBird 2 which are hit and miss and some even have plastic wings, you just never know.

Your best bet is to check forums like diecastaircraftforum.com, airlinebuzz.com and 400scalehangar.net. The last one will give you more information about AeroClassics and the "real" BigBird as the AeroClassics owner posts there.

Hope this helps!
aarbee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyk wrote:
Since I used to run an online die cast business selling these little gems I hope I can answer your questions.

All three that you mentioned are all metal construction. The quality of AeroClassics is great. Phoenix is hit and miss and some of their molds are questionable but some are fantastic like their new 777 molds. Their 744, MD-80, and DC-10 (among some others) molds leave much to be desired but can be acceptable to the general collector.

Now, BigBird is a tricky one. The BigBird models that are related to AeroClassics (sometimes called "real" BigBird) are generally known to be the good ones. There are others out there that are called BigBird or BigBird 2 which are hit and miss and some even have plastic wings, you just never know.

Your best bet is to check forums like diecastaircraftforum.com, airlinebuzz.com and 400scalehangar.net. The last one will give you more information about AeroClassics and the "real" BigBird as the AeroClassics owner posts there.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Sammyk.

I'm sure you are more qualified not just because of the business, but also for your hugeo-omongus collection.

Phoenix. How is the A330/A340 molds?

BTW, are DAC and wings900 same or different forums? I know sign up is different and collection manager is different.
747-237

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey aarbee, here is my 2 cents worth. This is what I would rate them as, in order of overall quality
Gemini Jets
Dragon Wings
Aeroclassics
Big Bird
Herpa
Phoenix
Schabak
sammyk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aarbee wrote:

Thanks Sammyk.

I'm sure you are more qualified not just because of the business, but also for your hugeo-omongus collection.

Phoenix. How is the A330/A340 molds?

BTW, are DAC and wings900 same or different forums? I know sign up is different and collection manager is different.

No problem. The A330/340 isn't bad. Some of their molds they share with Gemini Jets and I think those are some of the ones that are.

DAC and W900 have common ownership but are kept separate.

747-237,

The problem with ranking is that all manufacturers have their good molds and their bad molds. Like say Gemini Jets, they have a fantastic 737-200 but their MD-80 is horrible. AeroClassics has a great Connie mold but their DC-6 isn't so great. Dragon has perhaps the best 747-400 and DC-10/MD-11 molds but their 737 is crap. I do agree that Schbak should be on the bottom but I also think anything smaller than 1/500 is a waste of money. I don't even bother with 1/500!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Aviation Hobby All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: