Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delta Airlines from Fargo to Chicago via MSP (CR2/MD90)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Delta Airlines from Fargo to Chicago via MSP (CR2/MD90) Reply with quote

Hello all!

I am posting the first link of my 2015 winter homebound trip, after a successful first semester at the University of North Dakota. Due to the lack of hits/replies on my trip reports recently, I have taken the rather painful decision of downsizing my trip reports here, and posting them on a platform that reaches a wider audience.

I won’t be leaving Airliners India altogether, I will just post summaries/a few pictures from the flights itself, while also posting the link to the full flight report and video trip reports on YouTube.

As always, my videos on YouTube are NOT monetized and so there will be no annoying ads. I spend all this time making video flight reports because I wish to share the excitement (and the frustrations at times!) while traveling on flights (as far as a camera can go, at least!)

So without further ado, I present to you, my first trip back home to India from college!

First of all, the flight report it self, DL4695 from FAR to MSP on a CRJ-200LR.
And second, the video flight report

I chose Air France KLM out of Chicago. So, to get to Chicago I had to fly down. Flying out of Fargo is usually way cheaper than Grand Forks, and the one stop option at Minneapolis on Delta (as opposed to the non stops on United and American Airlines) proved to be the cheapest. More flights for me!

I planned on reaching Chicago a day before the long haul trip back home, just so I could get enough rest. I learnt some valuable lessons on the Emirates ultra long haul! Drove down to Fargo with a few friends, stayed there overnight before flying out the next day.

Fargo is a slightly larger airport than Grand Forks, and with more airlines. Check in took a while because no one had showed up Very Happy However, my luggage was in fact overweight by 6lbs. Rejigged and repacked, I was back at the check in counter, and this time it weighed 50lbs. I headed for a quick meal because I had nothing for breakfast and I'd have nothing onboard since that's how it is. The shrimp basket had more batter than shrimp.

TSA was next, it wasn't too bad. N426SW arrived from Minneapolis on time, and docked at Gate 2. Boarding began more or less on time as well, the Captain, S. Choi, welcome all passengers onboard along with the flight attendant. It was a full flight, all seats were taken.

Pushed back two minutes early and and took off for the quick 35 minute encounter to Minneapolis. No service was conducted, I requested for a cranberry juice because hey lots of money was paid for the flight! Largely uneventful flight as we touched down in Minneapolis seventeen minutes before time but we waited at the Gate (B15) for a good 10-12 minutes. So all the time that was gained from the early arrival fell to naught. I had to rush down to Gate G19 for the flight to Chicago. Not ideal, but people do it!

Some pictures from the flight:

Start up video
Take off video
Landing video

That's it for now! I will post the MD90 flight experience in a bit!

Regards
Jish
sumantra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Delta Airlines from Fargo to Chicago via MSP (CR2/MD90) Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
I won’t be leaving Airliners India altogether, I will just post summaries/a few pictures from the flights itself, while also posting the link to the full flight report and video trip reports on YouTube.
Lack of replies, possibly, given that most regulars on this part of the forum seem to devote much more time to the WhatsApp forum (with a few notable exceptions: and yes, I include myself in that list). Please feel free to even just post a link here, and be sure that I will read it (I am not that regular on video reports though, I apologise), and comment on it, as well Smile
...and in shifting to a new forum, you will perhaps get a wider audience, but please also make sure that you do not lose your regular readers on this forum, as well.
Once again, a lovely trip report. Since I am on your mailing list, I read the longer version before reading the precis, and loved both, for the standard JB trip report experience.
Tremon looks cute!
Oops on the CR7 to CR2 switch, but KLM looks wonderful! Do any other airlines make an avgeek get so interested in such a compelling manner?
thank you for showing us thorugh a small airport, exotic and new for most of us! Please pardon my irrelevant take on the `snowy' take-off on the WA forum: your videos are superb, Sir.
Cranberry juice Smile
Lovely winglet shots, as usual!
Do tell us how the CR2 is perhaps the most-maligned among all regional jets, for its discomfort levels: did you also feel so?
The 43-minute dash...we are all ears, please bring the next part, on!
Cheers, Sumantra.
sabya99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, we all enjoy your trip reports and I want you in this forum. Don’t get discouraged by lack of response. Some of my trip reports are being visited after three years! Very Happy
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words of reassurance, Sumantra sir and Sabya sir!

Sumantra sir,
I guess the WhatsApp group does have its benefits and drawbacks. I'm not particularly a fan of the 'WhatsApp TRs' because I feel one knows whats going on only through a proper trip report only, something that I endorse. There are quite a few people who are active here and on WhatsApp!

I promise to notify everyone when a new flight report is put up, now that I have streamlined my video uploading schedule with the flight reports itself (of course, the huge backlog does help at times Razz ). As I said in the beginning, there will be a short version here.

I was a bit gutted when the CRJ700 got bumped down...since that would've meant I would've been on all three kinds of DL's CRJs..200, 700 and 900.

Ever since I booked my flights on KLM (June last year!!!) I knew I was in for something special. Starting with the information provided - just awesome!

And as I did mention in the previous reply (again, so sorry about the delay!) the CRJ200s are okay to be on a flight less than an hour...
The next part would be up next week! Very Happy

Sabya sir,
Thanks again for your words of encouragement. I won't be leaving the forum altogether, you'll see my posts here when time permits Very Happy

Regards
Jishnu
Max737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one JiB
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Sachin!
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the full flight report here.
And the full flight report in video form here

Continuing on from where I left off - I was in a really big hurry to rush to concourse G. Thanks to the Delta Air Lines app, I found out my MD90 to Chicago O’Hare would depart from gate G20, and thanks to FR24, it was established that N912DN would take my to Chicago O’Hare. Technology. Answering every avgeek need so early on Very Happy
I found out on DL4695 that it would be a good 24 minute walk from gate B15 to gate G19… I was not looking forward to it.

Landed, rushed, headed for the Minneapolis inter terminal tram, rushed again before finally reaching the gate…and boarding had not even started, yay! Very Happy A lovely 757 was around, I feared that’s the closest I’d ever get to one lol

Boarding was called, headed inside towards the well maintained 19.7 years old veteran. Oh by the way - you know how we constantly talk about reusable high quality plastic cup vs dispose after one use paper cups on Indian airline economy class servings? Yeah, paper cups for First Class on Delta. Case closed.

Took my seat 36A, with a pretty cool view of what surprisingly was an IAEV2500 engine - the same as on most Airbus A320 family aircraft that fly around the world today.

Pushed back on time, the IAEV2500 engines made much better sounds than the average A320 flying around. Same on take off, they sounded spectacular!

Being such a short flight, meal service was pretty quick. I say meal - just pretzels, no choice there as is usually is on Delta. Oh and the crew member serving us was quite pissed off, too.

Landed 25 minutes before time, and taxied by a Lufthansa B747-8… Little did I know what this fore shadowed Very Happy

Got a quick cockpit shot too, luckily! Bags came out on time, well and good. But in the end, I was a bit underwhelmed with the two flights with Delta… Ah well, I had no time to dwell over that, a KLM B747 was just around the corner! Very Happy

Start up: https://youtu.be/IpCHhb6X3Rg
Epic take off: https://youtu.be/vJ3kjtxFZYs
Landing: https://youtu.be/WWPU2yDg10M

That's all for this part!
Do stay tuned for the KLM B747s...amongst others!

Regards
Jishnu
sumantra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another lovely part, thank you! As before, I read the longer version to appreciate the precis, better.
It was nice to log a B717 flight, a rather rare type, now-a-days.
Too bad about the rude FA...but it must have felt great to have got a cockpit shot in a rare type! And yes, lovely pictures of the V2500s.
Chicago's Hosteling International: I think we have talked about this place, before. I have stayed here in 2005 and 2014, and enjoyed the place.
We look forward to the Big Blue trips!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Another lovely part, thank you! As before, I read the longer version to appreciate the precis, better.
It was nice to log a B717 flight, a rather rare type, now-a-days.
Too bad about the rude FA...but it must have felt great to have got a cockpit shot in a rare type! And yes, lovely pictures of the V2500s.
Chicago's Hosteling International: I think we have talked about this place, before. I have stayed here in 2005 and 2014, and enjoyed the place.
We look forward to the Big Blue trips!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Thank you for your reply, Sumantra sir!

Ah, this was actually a flight on the MD90. The BMW/RR powered B717 flight happened earlier in the year, which you can find here. Interestingly, the B717 is a bit more popular than the MD90 today, however endemic to the USA/Australia/Scandinavia. That said, the IAEV2500s on the MD90 sounded lovely, much better than on the A320s. Twisted Evil

HI was awesome - a convenient spot, although the finding the Blue line did get a little tricky for me, in the heat of time pressures! Very Happy

Regards
Jishnu
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
Ah, this was actually a flight on the MD90. The BMW/RR powered B717 flight happened earlier in the year, which you can find here.
Ouch...my mistake. Given your propensity for notching up rare types in your log, I really envy you for all these trips! Not to mention the trip reports, themselves!
Cheers, Sumantra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: