Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video TR - Quick trip to DEL on 9W (1/4): 9W255 CMB-BOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Video TR - Quick trip to DEL on 9W (1/4): 9W255 CMB-BOM Reply with quote

Hello everyone
And welcome.
To what, by default, is my first trip of report of 2015.

INTRODUCTION
What this trip will cover is a short and quick trip to and from Bharat. Now, those on WhatsApp and few others would know that I found an outrageously cheap ticket on Jet Airways for a return ticket from Colombo to Mumbai. That got me real excited, and I looked forward to the 12th of July 2015, which would be my first flight of 2015.
However, as it turned out, over the next few days, stuff happened. Exam stuff. And yes, strange for an avgeek to say, but truth be told, this trip was one I wasn't looking forward to. Add to that, this trip was to be done in the middle of my mock examinations.

Morning of 28th December, 2014. The strangely long monsoon continued as a cold rainy and windy morning leads the door of my bedroom to be slammed, waking me up. I read Ameya sir's message on the WhatsApp group - an AirAsia Indonesia Airbus A320 disappeared off radar while flying from Surabaya to Singapore. 2014 wouldn't end on a particularly good note for me. Dad called me over for a talk, and I reluctantly agreed to this trip.

WHERE TO? AND HOW?
We had a choice: 17th and 18th January 2015 in either Pune or Delhi. I was pro-Pune because it gave me an opportunity to fly a new airline: GoAir, and perhaps another A340 flight on UL's morning CMB-MAA flight. It looked more likely that Delhi was a more feasible option, although it did mean spending an extra day. Rather spend an extra day in the comforts of a hotel than many hours at the (Chennai) airport.

Combinations. I looked out for interesting combinations. Jet had A330s deployed on MAA/BLR-DEL routes, but UL's CMB-MAA/BLR timings did not serve my cause. Then of course, Vistara from Mumbai to Delhi and back, but again, high fares. It was all down to the trusted Jet Airways, who offered the best deal from Colombo to Delhi via Mumbai. In terms of fares and times.
Flights would be something like this:
9W255 16JUL15 0610 0840 CMB BOM B73H
9W307 16JUL15 1135 1340 BOM DEL B73H
9W384 18JUL15 2130 2340 DEL BOM B73H
9W256 19JUL15 0230 0500 BOM CMB B73H
(As you might’ve noticed, I didn’t even mention UL up until this sentence Razz Simple, UL were expensive, the return was too early, and well the proposition of being inside a narrow body for over 3 hours is as scary as a flying roach chasing me.)

BOOKINGS
My previous track record of a pain free booking has been quite bad due to my own mistakes. However this time, I didn't make a single mistake, or leave out any blanks to be filled (compulsory to select a meal!), a PNR was generated, and tickets sent to mailboxes. I headed off for the PreReserve seat feature, something that Jet allows for all international flights. All the flights were scheduled to be on planes with a 12/156 configuration, except 9W307 BOM-DEL, which happened to be the orginal international configuration. Although, the site did throw some tantrums at me while changing some seats... Also went to sort out some silly JP issue, which was sorted on the phone eventually, a call lasting only 2m58s. But the meal preferences changed! Kept trying this, but it changed always despite resetting it non-veg meals. Oh well.

ROTATION, ROTATION. WHAT WOULD THE PLANES BE?
Excited by the prospect of a 16/138 configured plane operating 9W307, I decided to head over to FR24 and check which planes would operate the flights. This was undone when I learnt that it was in fact VT-JGE/F/G operating the flight to DEL and DED. Most of the time, at least, the plane followed a DXB-IXE-BOM-DEL-DED-DEL-BOM-IXE-DXB rotation. (No, plane isn't based at DXB! Its full utilization, that's all Wink) But knowing Jet, who do not really follow these rotations, they could swap rotations at BOM, so at times a Sky Interior plane would operate to DEL & DED in the morning, or a different plane operating to IXE in the evening!

Similarly with 9W255/256. The plane would come in from anywhere: DXB (9W538), CCU (9W628), HYD (9W456), BKK (9W67), SIN (9W11) or even CMB (9W251/252 rotation), before operating the red eyes to Colombo. Things were a bit predictable here: it'd mostly be a plane with seatback IFE, such as all planes between JGP-JGW, JBB-JBK and JBQ-JBS. No, not the BSI+IFE planes JBW/JBX. They fly around DEL and MAA to SIN.

As for 9W384, it was any plane from the ex-Konnect birds to the newer non-HGW BSI planes to the recently recovered after her bird strike VT-JBH! But, this flight would be operated by any of the two specific planes flying BLR/MAA-DEL.

A word on JGE/F/G. These three, are the birds which Abhijeeth and I call the evil three. Why? Well, they're old birds, they do not have seatback IFE, they do not have the Sky Interior, the seats are weird! While discussing the evil three, Abhijeeth rather brilliantly drew similarities between them and the other evil three, Kim/Kourtney/Khloe! Yep, Kardashian sisters = 3 specific planes in Jet's fleet. 'Ugly, fat and avoid at all costs', is the apt description! Razz Speaking of which, I do apologize. 9W255 in July was supposed to be my first flight of 2015, not this....

WEB CHECK IN
Set an alarm for 0610 hours on 15JAN15, but it didn't work out because I rather astonishingly missed each of the 4 alarms I set, and eventually woke up at 0930 or so do the web check in. As usual, the hunt for SEQ1 was on!
Web check in for Dad. As usual, you give in the details which is followed by the option to select passengers for check in. Only Dad this time since I wanted to try the mobile check in again Razz No longer is Jet OLCI A PISsing off experience, thanks to the new system. I skipped the optional emergency contact page (oh, well done Jet!), and headed over to the flights summary: both 9W255 and 9W307 were reflected, so were the pre-reserved seat numbers. Just to double check, I headed over to the change seat option, and boy was I glad I did so! While 9W255 was in the scheduled 12J/156Y configuration, 9W307 changed from a 16J/138Y configuration to the 12J/156Y configuration, and to my horror, our seats were still the same, so I had to make some changes here and there, it wasn't much of an issue as most of the plane seemed empty. Check in complete, options of email/mobile boarding passes were given, and then, it was all over Smile

So, with an equipment swap, I guess parts of the 'Rotation, rotation. What would the planes be?' are completely redundant Razz

MOBILE CHECK IN
Exactly the same process, except that 9W255 and 9W307 seat confirmations were on different pages, so I got a bit worried but it was generally fine Razz
Fill in the details (not everything has to be AUH, Jet Razz), confirm passengers to check in, (reflecting Dad's been checked in), the no longer 'A PISsing off' step, confirmation for 9W255, seat selection, confirmation for 9W307, the relatively empty seat map for 9W307, and then the two usual steps, following which I got the mobile boarding pass in my mailbox just seconds after I reached the confirmation page of OLCI. They also sent a PDF format of the boarding pass.
Two painless check in processes, everything was all good to go!

I spent the day packing, studying, and tracking which plane would operate my flights the next morning.
...and so I did, mostly track which plane would operate my flight. It really was down to 6 planes. The first of which, was VT-JBG to SIN, departing BOM at 1010 hours as 9W10, and arriving at 2234 hours as 9W11. This plane, in fact, flew 9W255/6 just before the SIN flights, as it usually is. VT-JFX to BKK departed next at 1333 hours as 9W60, and arrived at 0100 hours on the 16th as 9W67. The next departure was critical, it was the Dubai flight. Its highly likely that either 9W537/538's bird or 9W251/252's bird would fly 9W255/256. At 1558 hours, VT-JGS departed as 9W538 to Dubai, and came back at 2304 hours. Bad news for me, I have already flown VT-JGS Sad VT-JFS was up next, as it departed BOM heavily at 1729 hours as 9W625 to CCU, and came back late as 9W628 at 2313 hours. The next departure was also critical, 9W252 to Colombo. This was operated by VT-JGV, departing at 1815 hours and arriving at 2338 hours. VT-JGV, like VT-JGS is a plane I've already flown on. Oh no Crying or Very sad

That gave fellow member Abhijeeth plenty to cheer about because I told him once: if there was any airline who'd break my run of 17 new registrations logged consecutively, it would be Jet. And by the looks of it, that was what happened. It went to such extremes that I had to call in a fictional dog Ram Lal in, a classy dialogue used by Paresh Rawal in the movie 'Hera Pheri'.

Online upgrade for DEL-BOM. Hm..

I set an alarm for 0000 hours, but knew it was too unrealistic before finally waking up at 0120 hours, and getting some work done. As time passed by, I eventually got a bit late by around about 15 minutes, leaving at around 0243 hours.

JET AIRWAYS 9W255 COLOMBO-MUMBAI 16TH JANUARY 2015
There was, however, something different about this drive to the airport. No, it wasn’t a taxi driver taking us or were we taking a different route. I was driving to the airport Smile It was a proud moment as I already felt like a F1 racer Razz On the highway, I touched about 120kmph, which was 40kmph too much, and I only have a learner’s license Razz I did overtake 2 cars on the expressway, felt good Very Happy

PRE-BOARDING ROUTINE
The slow driver (me) got us to the airport at exactly 0318 hours. Christmas decorations were still there on the approach road. A huge crowd was present, but that was just the crowd seeing off their family. Or was it? We got down, and just before entering the terminal, we were stopped by the guard who wanted to see our identification. He asked us something in Sinhala to which I politely said ‘Sinhala dan nay..’ (which is basically me telling him in Sinhala that I don’t know Sinhala), and the two of us burst out laughing, Dad not having a clue as to what was going on! We entered the main passenger terminal, and boy oh boy was there a crowd!

New shops and stalls open..nice!

Crowd before entering the check in area

Seemingly full flights to Kuwait, Sharjah and Dubai, as there were a lot of passengers checkin in. Lines were horrendously long and a bigger was created thanks to the Malaysia Airlines and Emirates check in boards just kept, creating mass confusion. Plenty of passengers for the Mumbai Jet flight, I also saw some Nepali passports! Counters 43-47 for us, 2 for Y, 1 for OLCI, 1 for J/platinum/gold etc etc.

Check in lines for other airlines

Check in took a very long due to issues for others, but the lady was very nice, tagged our bags ll the way to DEL, told us about the customs, and put MH fragile tags Smile Luggage weight at 29.9kgs, we were set for a domestic flight Razz Meanwhile Abhijeeth mentioned on the WhatsApp group that none of the predicted planes would operate the flight, but it would in fact be VT-JFQ. Jet Airways, spoiling my predictions since 2011 Razz

Domestic transfer tags and MH fragile sticker Smile

Empty UL check in area. This would fill up soon as the UL bank of flights depart.

Christmas decorations still prevalent

Phone battery issues were aplenty, something which was being extensively discussed Razz
Immigration and all were quick, was airside by 0352, I headed up to the palm strip for some spotting. Read the captions Smile

Usual high flyer club for me Smile

And coke from Al Ain

A6-AOA all set to head back to Sharjah

4R-ADF back in Colombo after taking the Pope to Manila! Very Happy

A6-ANS comes from Sharjah, a mere few minutes after another G9 bird departed! Shocked

A6-FED from DXB, will head to HRI and then DXB

4R-ADB has come in from Rome, and will head to MAA empty, and return as UL122. Yeah, weird...

Tarmac

I used the wifi by Dialog at LKR250. A rip off, considering the fact that it worked for only a few minutes. A Mihin plane came, 4R-MRE.

I look at the time: Oh My its 0520 hours! Boarding time! I head off through a rather crowded CMB Airport terminal. I begin the long walk towards gate 8, or according to the boarding pass, gate A8. Security is relatively empty because every passenger is in the holding area. I take my time, all’s well. Boarding starts as soon as I show my boarding pass, and it gets torn off.

9W255 final call!

BOARDING
Boarding starts. Its about 0538 hours. Boarding is announced for passengers seated in rows 25-36. I wait aside. I do not see Dad. Me a bit worried. I text the Airliners-India Whatsapp group. I see the Kuwait Airways A300 pushes back at 0546. A quick turnaround for her! Boarding is called for passengers seated in rows 15-36. I still wait, as Vinish (Optimus.Prime) asks me to Razz Its good fun! I hear some beautiful GE CF6s as the Kuwait Airways heads off. Its an amazing experience! As the crowd fizzles out, I still see Dad isn’t around.

VT-JFQ, 1.1 years old, looking beautiful! Very Happy

I board VT-JFQ, no mood lighting or anything on, but really welcomed me was the inviting sound of the A300’s GE CF6 and 2 flight attendants who were there, smiling at times, sometimes now… I’m also invited by a long queue of passengers putting their stuff up in the bins. One of the FAs offer drinks to J class passengers: pomegranate and watermelon are the options which I hear, amongst others.

J class

Y class bulkhead

Welcome announcements were being done, but it was just too loud - I couldn’t hear a thing, and presumably neither did any one of the passengers who were all chattering away. After a separate announcement, informing ground personnel to deplane, purser Payal does the whole welcome announcements, introducing the crew to us, and giving us more detail of the flight: we’d have a slightly lengthy flying time of 2hr20min; where did all the helpful tailwind disappear to? Confused
Just a few minutes before departure, the Arabic Massa comes in.

DEPARTURE - MORNING BEAUTY!
At 0604 hours, 6 minutes before time, we push back and our engines are brought into life. The safety demo is done. Yes, yet again, the FA selects my row to keep the stuff for demonstration (it was row 24 on VT-JFK, row 24 here). However, rather than not taking a video, I took a video. And the FA didn’t say anything as he did his demonstration! Smile
As we slowly started taxiing, behind A6-ANS and passing three UL A340s, an amazing orange light was turned on as mood lighting, signifying the sunrise. This was soon turned to a darkish blue for take off.

Take off was strange. Not only the fact that it wasn’t a full length take off, a first for me at Colombo, we inched on to the runway with about 1/3rd power applied, and by inch, I’m not joking! We nearly came to a standstill half way while turning! And to make this a bit more worrying, we slowly inched forward for nearly 15 odd meters, I saw a technical snag propping up, and us turning back to the gate.
But just then, JFQ’s engines were applied full thrust and we took off into the brightening skies of Katunayke, we were on our way to Mumbai.
IN FLIGHT - THE NEW JET!
If the Sky Interior lighting wasn’t enough (it changed back to orange as soon as the fasten seatbelt signs were turned off), there was a beautiful performance by nature itself, as an orange line fitted in between the seemingly blue and gray horizon: the sun was rapidly rising and this looked absolutely stunning. I mean come on - who wants entertainment when all this is happening? Also, this time, I didn’t make the critical error sitting on the starboard side, wherein the rising sun would’ve caused some intense glare, RUINING all the pictures. But this was just so beautiful!

0627 hours, just a few minutes after take off, a trolley is rolled towards the front. Strangely, I do not get any smell at all. Hmm, this didn’t bode well, I hoped the food was good! 5 minutes later, another trolley is pulled from behind, serving the rows from the back. At about 0632 hours, we level off at 38000 feet. I admire nature’s art as the trolley is being pulled back rather rapidly. Giving the food so fast? Either way, after the FAs asked what the passenger(s) wanted, they did so with a smile. And even while serving it, they gave a warm smile. This was very good! As the trolleys got closer, I figured that this was a pre-meal beverage service! Awesome! This is the first time I saw a separate service for drinks on Jet Airways! And all of this, with a warm smile. I ask for a tomato juice, which is again delivered with a smile. There are bottles of water, Pepsi, 7 Up, Miranda, a variety of juices such as apple, orange, mango, mixed fruit, tomato and grapefruit. Add to that, a few cans of beer. What a variety! In fact, if I may add, one of the crew members was called by a passenger to get her bag down from the overhead compartment. The only male FA attended to her, and he did this with a smile, despite being stopped for a bit from continuing service.

Tomato juice - more like slightly thin tomato ketchup Sad

COME ON JET! CLEAN THE WINDOWS!

The Captain came over the PA system at 0648, giving us a very detailed announcements (38k feet, heading north, arrival time in Mumbai, turbulent flight, some headwind/tailwind stuff, 0835 arrival etc). True to his word, 0651 hours, we hit a rough patch of air, and the plane shook violently. I put my arm in between the arm rest and wall panel..yep, it got squished Embarassed

9W255. Perfect for photographers like me!

Westen Ghats

FOOD JOYS!
The crew come around (twice) to clear up the trash. 0702 hours, a gentle voice says ‘Please mind your arms legs!’, as the FA pulls up the meal trolley to the front, and this I notice food containers this time, rather than bottles. Seconds later, another trolley is pulled up to row 20. And this FA, I didn’t notice much until this point. She had a smile on her face which simply couldn’t be removed. In fact, while serving, she’d explain the contents of the main course (yes, you read that right. I too was surprised.) This set of meals were more of non veg than veg…pretty OK I guess, since everyone opted for that. She came over to my row and gave me a smile - but rather than giving me an option, she smiled and handed me a tray directly. ‘Sir, eggs with chicken cutlet..’ This was awesome. Actual meat in Jet Airways breakfast rather than just eggs - the first time since 2007!

Plastic cutlery? Are you kidding me now, Jet?!

While this turning into a superb flight, the first major flaw came. The tray was tiny! I mean even the JetKonnect meal from 2014 had a slightly larger tray! And the main contents, that was just so tiny! I felt low.....

....However, when I opened it, I was surprised. Some sautéed potatoes, masala omelette type scrambled egg and chicken cutlet. Catering was done from Mumbai, as was indicated on the creamer packet and water bottle.
I dig in to the sautéed potato slices first - cooked to perfection, albeit on the slight oily side, but not overly oily. There was a perfect amount of salt, and this was pleasing to the tongue. As expected, the egg didn’t contain salt. So, I call the FA for one, she stops her service, and asks me what I want. I tell her my need, I asked for a salt and pepper. She gets me one, with another smile. This was turning out to be an awesome flight!
The cutlet was nice and soft, so nearly the type that would melt in your mouth, but it was amazingly soft nonetheless. Taste was also pretty awesome, quite tangy and nice. Awesome meal, but just not enough in portion Sad

The fruit salad was pretty general with watermelon, muskmelon and papaya. These were not that fresh though, slightly on the acidic side. So, other than the meal portion and fruit, Jet had clearly delivered.

Salt and pepper Smile

Getting arty lol

Turbulence rocked the bird once again, seat belt signs came on. Because of this, the flight attendants apologized for not having a tea/coffee service. This was a first for me - very SQ-esque, and probably good for the pax, too. Duty free sale announcements were made, and lead FA Payal took the duty free cart and did a couple of rounds in the plane. I saw a scale model of the Jet Airways 777-300ER…and I moved my head as the cart was being drawn past. My eyes were firmly set on what I wanted…I just didn’t have the money. Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sadCrying or Very sadCrying or Very sad

New format for 9W's fleet page - nice!

Goa!

Anyways, I don’t think Jet allows credit card purchases, or purchases in INR. Quite a few people bought stuff, which was really good. One passenger got quite pissed off at the fact that purchases weren’t allowed in INR, and he started ranting about how bad an airline Jet is and he had no choice but to fly Jet. (REALLY.) Purser Payal just shrugged it off by saying ‘I’m sorry sir, but its airline policy.’, smiled and continued on with sales.
NB - the much talked about JetChild would’ve added fuel to this fire. Take note. Wink

Banking!

Disinfectant

Perhaps my favorite pictures - the reflection of people's clothes on the wall panels!

ARRIVAL AWESOMENESS…OR NOT?

Final bank towards 27!

Overflying the creek - we're almost there!

Descent started at 0757 hours as the crew prepared the cabin for arrival, including that awesome smelling disinfectant spray. We lined up for the usual runway 27 approach. A smooth touchdown at 0831 hours as we rather rapidly taxied out on to the…rapid taxiway Razz Along the way, I saw a horror show, known as the Air India hangars in Mumbai. 1 fuselage of an A310, 2 B747s (ESP and ESO), 2 77Ls (ALH looking good, ALG gone), AI B787 (ANI) and a decently kept IX B73H.
However though, it was sheer joy looking at those beautiful Air India Airbus tails in the sun… I knew I was well and truly home! Then followed the IndiGo and Jet Airways tails at Terminal 1B. A SpiceJet B737 was around, pushing back. The announcement - ‘To all international guests welcome to India, and to fellow Indians, a warm welcome home.’ So many times I’ve heard this announcement, but this time, it well and got to me. I was feeling a sense of belonging, a home in Mumbai which I miss oh so much. Enough with the jibber jabber, Mumbai’s new T2! An EK B77W and 6E A320 were around, so were VT-JBZ (B73J operating to DAC) and a beautiful Saudi Arabian 777-200ER. JFQ slowly taxied towards the terminal, yes an aerobridge international arrival at Mumbai, this was a first for me! Very Happy A truly awesome end to the flight!
We parked right beside the mighty VT-ALR, which had come in from JED early in the morning, and would head to RUH soon.

Aerobridge took a while to get connected, but an announcement was made that bags would arrive on belt 3. Very helpful info! We began to disembark, I thanked the crew for a wonderful flight, certainly the best I’ve ever had on BOM-CMB-BOM rotation!

You brought memories back, JFQ. Thank you!

Jet Airways, Mumbai, Terminal 2, aerobridge! Very Happy

As I disembarked, there was a mess going on at the T2. None of the electrical buggies were working so there were problems in accommodating passengers with special needs. Add to that, a shortage of wheelchairs. One FA was calling out passengers to board flights to CDG/HKG/BKK/LHR/KTM/DXB. Who knew, CMB-DXB via BOM is an option? Very Happy
There were clearly about 50-60 people here, a lot of connecting passengers! I started my long walk towards immigration, and this long walk was an absolute pain. Half the travelators weren’t working. I saw something new: VT-TTB OF VISTARA!!!! I had an aerobridge in the way, I quickly ran a bit forward and saw only the rear end Sad

Vistara!

SV 772

It was only now when I finally noticed the paintings and all Razz And this is when everything went more pear shaped than a pear - Dad got off earlier and had established a big lead. I followed the long path towards immigration. Along the way, there was an ebola scan, passengers had to fill a form. Which passengers? Apparently, only the passengers from certain countries, not from Sri Lanka though. And no one said a thing to us! Added to that, I was already searching for forms and all, there were none. Long after this I realized that we didn’t have to fill the form in, no one said a thing, no signs or anything. A horrific mess. Next up was immigration, while that was surprisingly quick given the number of passengers (all counters were open!), I forgot Indians didn’t have to fill the form. Oh dear Sad

Went through the duty free, collected the bags (which by the way, were from belt 5 as opposed to belt 3 as announced, belt 3 was at the domestic section of T2 Razz ). Clearing customs, for once, FOR ONCE, wasn’t even a pain! Just hand luggage had to be scanned, nice! And this done pretty quickly, we dropped off our bags for 9W307 to DEL, and waited in the transfer bus line for a good 20 odd minutes before finally boarding a bus.

What happens next?
Will 9W307 be another flight where Jet delivers?
What would the aircraft be?
Well, stay tuned for more! Very Happy

Regards
Jish

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what a pleasant surprise I got with your SMS from Mumbai, and a dampener, to know that our schedules did not match for the brief period you would be in Delhi. Thanks for a lovely trip report, replete with all the frills we associate with a TR from you. The detailed planning: whoa! Delightful.
Good one with the Kardashian sisters comparison: you and Abhijeeth!
The rotations part for me, I do not have to worry much about it, since much before I guess what it will be for my flights, I have Ameya already decoding much more of it that I woudl ever need to: he seems to remember all this. Amazing!
It is also nice to know that you are following Alonso's footsteps behind the driver's wheel. 120kmph: wow!
It is a pleasure seeing CMB through your lens: the check-in areas, food, and of course, the planes! Nice beacon pics. You also have a very steady hand. Even when sobre, I can never manage as steady a hand as you do, Sir!
I seem to have missed the part where you could not locate Mr. Basu Senior, and then you get onto the plane, and then come lovely pictures and the description of the sunrise form the inside of the plane. Lovely sunrise pictures by the way: both at Katunayake, as well as inside the plane!
Great descriptions of the food: it has got me quite hungry now. The quantity is a bit on the lower side, but I am glad they hit it well on the taste coefficient.
The arty part was nice!
`Perhaps my favourite pictures': awesome! You do have an eye for detail.
Nice spotting pics at the new Sahar T2...it brought back memories of the only time I have visited the place.
Great Sir, thank you, we are indeed tuned for more. Much more!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your long and detailed reply, as ever, sir! Very Happy

sumantra wrote:
And what a pleasant surprise I got with your SMS from Mumbai, and a dampener, to know that our schedules did not match for the brief period you would be in Delhi.

I do apologize for the complete lack of texts - I barely had enough time on the 17th, and on the 18th, as you'll read in part 3. But like I said before, July for sure! Smile

sumantra wrote:
The rotations part for me, I do not have to worry much about it, since much before I guess what it will be for my flights, I have Ameya already decoding much more of it that I woudl ever need to: he seems to remember all this. Amazing!

Ah, of course, that is awesome! As for Jet though, there isn't a fixed rotation at all, so its completely haywire! And hence, we try to predict the planes, most of the times with minimal success.

sumantra wrote:
It is a pleasure seeing CMB through your lens: the check-in areas, food, and of course, the planes! Nice beacon pics. You also have a very steady hand. Even when sobre, I can never manage as steady a hand as you do, Sir!

Thanks so much, sir! Smile

sumantra wrote:
Great descriptions of the food: it has got me quite hungry now. The quantity is a bit on the lower side, but I am glad they hit it well on the taste coefficient.

If Jet food did make you hungry for once...well, it says a lot doesn't it? Wink

sumantra wrote:
Nice spotting pics at the new Sahar T2...it brought back memories of the only time I have visited the place.

I had a lot of time yesterday (this morning) to explore T2 further...more in part 4!

sumantra wrote:
Great Sir, thank you, we are indeed tuned for more. Much more!

I have something more than just a TR lined up, do expect a few surprises! Smile

Regards
Jish
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick trip to DEL on 9W: 9W255 CMB-BOM (1) Reply with quote

Excellent report so far. Might I say that it's refreshing to see a number of sharkletted A320s in the skies today. Hope the trend continues!

jbalonso777 wrote:

And coke from Al Ain

Why was this in Arabic?

jbalonso777 wrote:
I board VT-JFQ, no mood lighting or anything on, but really welcomed me was the inviting sound of the A300’s GE CF6 and 2 flight attendants who were there, smiling at times, sometimes now

Pretty sure you meant B738, unless the KU bird's acoustics were overpowering. Razz
ameya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Jishnu. Thanks !

Nice to the pictures again after the preview on whatsapp !

Eagerly waiting to read the DEL-BOM-T2 wait - CMB TR Smile
sri_bom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly Congrats Jishnu on your learners license have fun but drive safe. Thanks for posting the detailed TR.

The Colombo airport looks very dated is there any plan to refurbish the same? The club sandwich and coke what a great meal. Funny how globalization works we now have coke sourced from a dessert in (UAE). Funnily enough Al Ain is known for its natural spring water and a lot of mineral water is bottled there.

What happened to the Pope’s official Alitalia plane did that go tech in Colombo? I thought I saw him getting of an Alitalia plane when the news channel were covering his arrival into Colombo.

Interesting that there is a whats app group for Airliners-India, how do I become part of this app grop?

The reflections of the peoples clothes on the airplane wall was a nice catch.

The food and service seems to have improved drastically I am guessing competition from Vistara has woken Jet up, all the more better for travelers.

Sri_Bom
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sri_bom wrote:
Interesting that there is a whats app group for Airliners-India, how do I become part of this app grop?

PM your number over, I'll pass it on to abhigopal who is the group admin.
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics and description Jishnu - thanks for sharing. Rather unfortunate that you lost most of your night in order to catch this early morning departure from CMB...

Customs at BOM - wow - I've never had to scan my bags at BLR - even when I arrive with 4 bags (and it happens often enough). Kind of sucks that they make you scan the bags at BOM. Actually at BLR - all arriving intl pax have to scan their hand baggage, but that's a must for all pax and is more of a formality - as the checking there is very liberal (I don't really know what they are looking for).
sumantra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Customs at BOM - wow - I've never had to scan my bags at BLR - even when I arrive with 4 bags (and it happens often enough). Kind of sucks that they make you scan the bags at BOM. Actually at BLR - all arriving intl pax have to scan their hand baggage, but that's a must for all pax and is more of a formality - as the checking there is very liberal (I don't really know what they are looking for).
Nimish, switch to Air India now...and you'll like the `International connectors' Wink
Cheers, Sumantra.
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Nimish, switch to Air India now...and you'll like the `International connectors' Wink
Cheers, Sumantra.

If only they flew to IAH, and had an "international connector" to BLR!
sumantra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Sure, sure: you may have missed my naughty smiley at the end Smile BLR unfortunately, does not get any international connectors. All are domestic flights, or small-volume international flights.
Cheers, Sumantra.
sri_bom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
sri_bom wrote:

PM your number over, I'll pass it on to abhigopal who is the group admin.

Thanks I have just sent a PM
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick trip to DEL on 9W: 9W255 CMB-BOM (1) Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your replies! I truly appreciate this Smile

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Excellent report so far. Might I say that it's refreshing to see a number of sharkletted A320s in the skies today. Hope the trend continues!

Hey, Varun thanks a lot! Yep, its now gone to the extent that I'm searching for A320s with normal wing tips Wink In fact, I saw more sharklet birds of 6E than the normal birds. Rapid!

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Why was this in Arabic?

It was processed and 'canned' in Al Ain, so I'm guessing it was for the UAE market...? Still though, I'm still surprised this restaurant is still getting stuff from UAE rather than Lankan stuff only..

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Pretty sure you meant B738, unless the KU bird's acoustics were overpowering. Razz

The KU A300 was taxiing past, and the sound was loud and clear at the aerobridge...sorry if I made it sound confusing Rolling Eyes

ameya wrote:
Great read Jishnu. Thanks !
Nice to the pictures again after the preview on whatsapp !
Eagerly waiting to read the DEL-BOM-T2 wait - CMB TR Smile

Thanks so much, Ameya sir!
Yes, thanks to the WhatsApp group, you have a fair idea of what to expect in the return part! But that was just some of it outlined, the real stuff would be in the TR Wink

sri_bom wrote:
Firstly Congrats Jishnu on your learners license have fun but drive safe. Thanks for posting the detailed TR.

Double thanks to you sir, and yes, I'm under control. I've heard that normal road cars' handling is a bit weird at high speeds, something I do not wish to experience. Embarassed

sri_bom wrote:
The Colombo airport looks very dated is there any plan to refurbish the same?

There has always been talks and decent plans, a project to be done with Japan. But that's all, only talk, no work. However, now with the new government and President Sirisena onboard, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

sri_bom wrote:
Funny how globalization works we now have coke sourced from a dessert in (UAE). Funnily enough Al Ain is known for its natural spring water and a lot of mineral water is bottled there.

Hahaha, nicely put! Yep, talk about globalization: my flight from France to Sri Lanka contained water from Al Ain (UAE), Italian biscuits, English dessert, American drinks, Pakistani food, and a content Indian passengers. Yep, globalization is everywhere for sure!

sri_bom wrote:
What happened to the Pope’s official Alitalia plane did that go tech in Colombo? I thought I saw him getting of an Alitalia plane when the news channel were covering his arrival into Colombo.

The AZ bird went back to Italy as soon as the Pope was dropped off at Colombo, and then went on 4R-ADF, the A340, to Manila. And even she came back from Manila.

sri_bom wrote:
The reflections of the peoples clothes on the airplane wall was a nice catch.

Thanks again! Smile

sri_bom wrote:
The food and service seems to have improved drastically I am guessing competition from Vistara has woken Jet up, all the more better for travelers.

Good service is one thing, and maintaining it (consistency) is another, something I will be highlighting very soon.

Nimish wrote:
Nice pics and description Jishnu - thanks for sharing. Rather unfortunate that you lost most of your night in order to catch this early morning departure from CMB...

Thank you Nimish! More like, unfortunate I have my exams on, which is why I'm anyways up these few nights till dawn anyways Wink But then again, for the experience on this and the next flight, being awake was pretty worth it!

Nimish wrote:

That's interesting sir. And nice to know. I honestly find some things to be rather strange in Indian airports: baggage tags, checking security stamps on boarding pass, checking the immigration stamp on passport...and then this luggage screening in the 'nothing to declare' line. But at least, it was just the hand luggage this time, but I still wonder what they're searching for. Rolling Eyes
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Nimish wrote:
Sure, sure: you may have missed my naughty smiley at the end Smile BLR unfortunately, does not get any international connectors. All are domestic flights, or small-volume international flights.
Cheers, Sumantra.

I find this a bit strange, considering the fact that there is at least one (maybe 2?) Boeing 787s operating in this route...
I hope AI do launch a few connectors ex-BLR soon...
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
...considering the fact that there is at least one (maybe 2?) Boeing 787s operating in this route...
Jishnu, I'm not sure if the connecting traffic warrants the same. AI adjust capacity well, with up to two Dream)liners on this sector (as of Jan'15 for the remnants of the winter rush, and yes, loads are excellent: I have a lot of circumstantial evidence of the same), to other months, where the capacity adjustments extend to just the narrow-bodies as well, with A319s on some days on some routes. Second and more importantly, although in general traffic in the international terminals at Indian airports is not that heavy except for some specific hours, the volume of connecting international passengers to and from BLR is just not enough to warrant an `international connector'. Contrast this to AI 020 one-sided international connector for instance, where much of the crowd is from the UK: from AI's LHR and BHX flights (but not large enough to warrant a direct CCU, or worth it, given the convenience of hub dynamics). BLR's international dynamics do not seem to work out well with AI's connections. In the early and mid-2000s AI had a B744 originating from BLR on at least a few days of the week, which would go via their then hub BOM, to the US via Europe. For those who may remember this, it was AI 127, the Chicago flight, which then used to be a one-step via Frankfurt.
BLR - BOM [03:00 am - 04:30 am]
BOM - FRA [07:00 am - 12:15 am]
FRA - ORD [02:15 pm - 04:05 pm]
I have sweet memories of the last two legs of this particular flight.
Cheers, Sumantra.
rakesh959

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jish for a lovely TR!So I read Jet is back!Are they consistent enough would be my next question and I know a part of the answer for that as well but I'll let ur future TRs do the talking!As always wonderful pics and nice to see the typical Nice jet crew there!I have really felt they have the best crew in the indian skies atleast next to the now defunct KF!So you were lucky with everything Plane,seat,aerobridge,crew and it must have been a dream flight!Looking forward to the other parts!
Cheers!
Rakesh.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
traffic in the international terminals at Indian airports is not that heavy except for some specific hours, the volume of connecting international passengers to and from BLR is just not enough to warrant an `international connector'.

Sir, thanks so much for another comprehensive reply, I truly appreciate this! Smile
Yes, this is perhaps one factor I didn't take into I did'nt take into account while asking the question, so it does clear up a lot of the doubt Smile

sumantra wrote:
Contrast this to AI 020 one-sided international connector for instance, where much of the crowd is from the UK: from AI's LHR and BHX flights (but not large enough to warrant a direct CCU, or worth it, given the convenience of hub dynamics).

I always wondered - why did AI020 depart as an international connector, and come back as AI701, a regular domestic flight? Thanks sir, for again clearing this up Smile

Hey Rakesh, thanks for your reply! Smile

rakesh959 wrote:
So I read Jet is back!Are they consistent enough would be my next question and I know a part of the answer for that as well but I'll let ur future TRs do the talking!

Hehe, you know it! But there's more to it. Wink

rakesh959 wrote:
Nice jet crew there!I have really felt they have the best crew in the indian skies atleast next to the now defunct KF!

Yeah well, it is debatable really isn't it? I mean they're all so good! 6E as you say have an amazing crew, AI as Sumantra sir says have an amazing crew, we're hearing UK with some ex-KF people really setting up the standards high! All in all, it looks good for Indian aviation! Mind you, the crew I had were surely awake for quite a bit, even earlier than 0130 hours that morning. Not one yawn, and so many smiles. I think this crew really deserve a round of applause Smile

Regards
Jish
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Jishnu: I did not writ anything special to deserve so many thanks Smile
jbalonso777 wrote:
...AI as Sumantra sir says have an amazing crew
AI's crew part could be a hit or a miss. They will not be the `amazing' kind in the conventional sense, and there is the odd rude elderly member of the cabin crew as well. However, many of the elderly crowd are often nice and energetic, and the younger crowd have some nice people as well: with AI, you often do not see the JRD-esque training in HR, but what I like is the from-the-heart service I have often had on my numerous travels. I like that. And as has been written earlier on this forum, in case of an emergency, one would trust one's life with that rude FA, simply because he/she has been extremely well-trained to handle the situations. Some of the old goodness is still in place, thankfully, in spite of many disappointments with the airline in general.
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about AI sir, they really could be a hit or miss..
But then again, I will agree to what you said: when its a question of life, you trust the flight attendant no matter what during an emergency Smile
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have uploaded FULL HD videos on YouTube, I hope you find the time to watch them when you can, it truly complements the TR

Start up (shot with the phone Sad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v51krf3vt4
The unique take off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb235bK095A

Awesome as always arrival into BOM, including flap sounds, announcements, taxiing and shut down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o196RcH96ck

Regards
Jish
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all!
I'm very excited to share this with you!
I have made my first ever video TR and posted it on YouTube, and it features this very flight. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipK-DtTQwA

I will cover the rest of the flights in video TRs as well as texts (from this trip), but whether or not I'll continue later will depend.
But till then, enjoy this video!

Watch in full HD, like, share, comment and subscribe!

Regards
Jish
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
I have made my first ever video TR and posted it on YouTube, and it features this very flight. Smile
The same, here. We are also excited to see the third person on this medium, after Aditya (theairplaneguy4ever) and Ranjan Mehta. Great work, Sir, right from the tour of Kautnayake airport, to the flight itself. Please keep it up, and do not forget to send the traditional typed in TRs as well!
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
jbalonso777 wrote:
The same, here. We are also excited to see the third person on this medium, after Aditya (theairplaneguy4ever) and Ranjan Mehta. Great work, Sir, right from the tour of Kautnayake airport, to the flight itself. Please keep it up, and do not forget to send the traditional typed in TRs as well!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Text TRs will always be top priority, video TR or not! Very Happy

Regards
Jish
stealthpilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Video TR-Quick trip to DEL on 9W (1/4): 9W255 CMB-BOM Reply with quote

Nice long TR.

- 3 hours in a narrow body scares you Laughing I would take that direct option over a hopping 9W flight any day (unless it was 2 sectors on an airline/aircraft/city iv never been thru before)
- Take off looked quit normal hehehehe ..
- meal looked good. small but good. They didn't have salt/pepper on the tray I thought they generally do? Good idea not to I guess I'm sure most of it goes untouched.
- The not being able to buy in INR I believe is a government rule isn't it? Or am I making excuses? Even 6E for meal purchases on international flights takes USD or dirhams (etc) but no INR. Heck Indian duty free charges in USD and not INR Rolling Eyes
- About the AI connectors ex-BLR (anywhere) I think people make too much of an issue of it. In either case you (generally) need to get off the plane in DEL and get on another one. Doesn't matter if it's the same aircraft or not Razz
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Video TR-Quick trip to DEL on 9W (1/4): 9W255 CMB-BOM Reply with quote

stealthpilot wrote:
Nice long TR.

Thanks Nikhil! Very Happy

stealthpilot wrote:
3 hours in a narrow body scares you Laughing I would take that direct option over a hopping 9W flight any day (unless it was 2 sectors on an airline/aircraft/city iv never been thru before)

True, that's there. I always look forward to the stopovers to be honest. But that's just me....
stealthpilot wrote:
Take off looked quit normal hehehehe

Damn it. Rolling Eyes

stealthpilot wrote:
They didn't have salt/pepper on the tray I thought they generally do? Good idea not to I guess I'm sure most of it goes untouched.

Big airlines such as you-know-which give them. But most of the time it does go untouched. In fact even I rarely need salt or pepper! Its a pretty big cost for big airlines who fly to everywhere around the world, I guess...

stealthpilot wrote:
The not being able to buy in INR I believe is a government rule isn't it? Or am I making excuses? Even 6E for meal purchases on international flights takes USD or dirhams (etc) but no INR. Heck Indian duty free charges in USD and not INR

It is pretty darn strange to be honest, I don't know what the scene is, too.

Regards
Jish
sri_bom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
Hey all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipK-DtTQwA

I will cover the rest of the flights in video TRs as well as texts (from this trip), but whether or not I'll continue later will depend.
But till then, enjoy this video!

Watch in full HD, like, share, comment and subscribe!

Regards
Jish

I checked out the video thanks for posting it. Only one feedback the camera was quite jerky so you need to hold it a bit steady.

The palm strip restaurant is quite kinky name, but does not live up to that reputation Very Happy
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sri_bom wrote:
the camera was quite jerky so you need to hold it a bit steady.
Srinivas, had it be me, you would have guessed the reason for the shaky hand. But Jishnu is not a Bacchus worshiper like me!
Quote:
The palm strip restaurant is quite kinky name, but does not live up to that reputation
Neat pun Very Happy
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sri_bom wrote:
I checked out the video thanks for posting it. Only one feedback the camera was quite jerky so you need to hold it a bit steady.

Thank you for your feedback Smile
Yes, I will work on steadying my hands for the upcoming India trip Smile

sumantra wrote:
sri_bom wrote:
the camera was quite jerky so you need to hold it a bit steady.
Srinivas, had it be me, you would have guessed the reason for the shaky hand. But Jishnu is not a Bacchus worshiper like me!

Sir, photography for me is easy (I talk like I'm a pro, but I'm far from it!), videography is a completely different ball game. It takes a lot of skill, and I guess it has to improve soon!

sumantra wrote:
Quote:
The palm strip restaurant is quite kinky name, but does not live up to that reputation
Neat pun Very Happy

Hehe. Laughing
Palm Strip...I go there only for spotting and pictures because the rest of the has no photography signs all over. Don't want to risk that!

Regards
Jish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: