Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying the L o n g e s t Airliner: the -8 Intercontinental

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
747-237

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Flying the L o n g e s t Airliner: the -8 Intercontinental Reply with quote

I recently took the opportunity to fly aboard the newest 747 sub-type. Having been aboard the -200, -300 and -400, it was time to add the -8i to my 747 list. Being the sole operator with only nine -8is flying at the time, Lufthansa was the airline of choice by default; Chicago O'Hare was the airport of choice by price. I did TPA-MDW on Southwest on a 737-700 (nothing to report here...yawn), took a shuttle from MDW to ORD (a 45 min ride), and killed 6 hours at check in, to fly aboard the Intercontinental .... and, once again, the longest airliner in the world (after the A340-600, which then held the title).

Just a short TR here, devoid of any interior pics, thanks to a late evening departure out of Chicago. The only pics I got was of the aircraft on arrival at FRA. Sadly a packed boarding gate area at ORD didn't help in getting pics there. So for once, I can't let the pictures do the talking.

Lufthansa Boeing 747-8i
LH 431 ORD-FRA
D-ABYD "Mecklenburg-Vorpommern"

I was fortunate to get the entire (2x2) exit row aisle seat in coach. The exit row on the -8i is vastly improved from the -400. With the exception of a footrest (and a narrower seat), it was as close to flying business class as it gets.

The Intercontinental is a huge step up from the -400. It was perhaps one of the smoother 747s flights I've been aboard. One thing that caught my eye was the large lavs. The -8i lavs appear to be the most comfortable place (in Y) to join or renew your membership in the Mile High Club ... I'm just saying.

I also found LH's 748 to be more comfortable than EK's A388 (my last non American carrier TATL flight). The aisle seemed wider, though I cannot back that up with any data. The screens on the -8i are also bigger than on the -400 (comparing LH to LH), even in the exit row. And of course, the engines are much, much quieter.

Lufthansa's TATL service was also far superior to that of the American carriers that I usually fly long haul. The FAs (no people, they're not called "air hostesses" any more) were very courteous professional and pretty. The meal service was pretty good. To my chagrin, LH didn't serve Diet Coke, only Coke Zero. The IFE wasn't much to write home about, pretty much the standard fare these days.

The 747-8i safety card is pretty neat too - it's more like a brochure ...

... bigger than the inflight magazine (in which, interestingly, LH's workhorse 744 takes center stage over the 748 and 388. I also like the fact that they include the JU52 as part of their fleet, because technically they still offer it for flightseeing) ...

... and much bigger than LH's 747-400 safety card ...

The "Mecklenburg-Vorpommern" at FRA after LH 431 out of ORD.

Sister ship D-ABYK "Rheinland-Pfalz" at FRA

and 747-400 D-ABVP "Bremen"

With no chance of ever flying aboard a -100, and close to none of getting on an SP, I've finally rounded off flying aboard the rest of the main Boeing 747 sub-types (no variants included).

B 747 SP
B 747-100
B 747-200 ✔
B 747-300 ✔
B 747-400 ✔
B 747-8i ✔

sri_bom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this report and good you managed to experince the new fleet. I for one always love the 747 just feel so much more safer.

I have not seen many airlines placing an order for this version so any idea what made Lufthansa to go ahead with this type? Is it far economical to operate a 747-800 versus A380 specially when you do not have a full load factor?

Sri_Bom
sumantra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have come to associate your TRs with the interesting, the rare (really rare, and the somewhat rare as well), and the exotic. Thanks for another TR in this mould, where you have given your personal experiences aboard a comparatively new aircraft type, and compared it with one many of us are quite familiar with, the B744. Nice observations on the non-apparent uses of the B748i lavs, and the Ju-52 in the fleet. I missed seeing pictures of the food: there have been quite a few complaints since the early 2000s, of food being too meagre in quantity, especially on the LH India legs. What are your recommendations for window seat choices,, for seats with a nice view outside, unoccluded by the B748i's large wing? How do the Sky Interiors suit the B748i? They look great on the B737s and the Dream)liners.
Thanks, Sumantra.
747-237

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
We have come to associate your TRs with the interesting, the rare (really rare, and the somewhat rare as well), and the exotic. Thanks for another TR in this mould

Nice to know that, thank you.

sumantra wrote:
I missed seeing pictures of the food

Forgive me, I have failed you!

sumantra wrote:
there have been quite a few complaints since the early 2000s, of food being too meagre in quantity, especially on the LH India legs.

I honestly found the food to be rather good - in quality and quantity, especially compared American carriers. I guess my standards are pretty low when it comes to this department, but I have nothing negative to say about the meal service, on this flight. I guess meager quantity is pretty much the norm these days - people might need to consider packing a sandwich to supplement what they're served.

sumantra wrote:
What are your recommendations for window seat choices,, for seats with a nice view outside, unoccluded by the B748i's large wing?

Chances are, in Y, you will get to see the wing from pretty much every window seat in the house, unless you're all the way in the back of the bus, or in the front section close to the bulkhead. I would recommend the latter.

sumantra wrote:
How do the Sky Interiors suit the B748i?

Very well - the interiors on the 748i are wonderful, and truly a generation ahead of the 744.

Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a magnificent bird.

Thanks for the share.
stealthpilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice TR .... great pics
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for the TR!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: