Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

Here is the link to my long way to CCU:
http://www.airlinersindia.s4.bizhat.com/airlinersindia-ftopic11500.html

I am visiting Calcutta after a gap of little more than two years. In that period of time a lot can change in a forward-looking city but not in Calcutta. People who use public transport are not sure whether they will reach their destination in time. There can be a sudden “Road or railway track blockade” because one influential guy (with political alliance with one of the two big parties) just had his first cup of morning tea in a local tea stall and lost his mood because the tea tasted stale OR his son didn’t get good grade in the local school examination! It may sound silly but aspirations of tens of thousands of Bengalis hit roadblock everyday for similar silly reasons, though mine ones may sound little exaggerated.

Anyway, I am already looking forward to my next trip to Calcutta, by then Calcutta is transforming itself in the mould of London if I have to believe the new chief minister’s words. If Hoogly river banks can’t dress up to the appeal of Thames in London, at least some part of northern Calcutta should resemble Brick Lane!

Landmark of Calcutta: Grand Hotel (front view)

Historic Hogg Market & iconic hand-pulled rickshaws"

Once I used to spend my daily 10 hours here

New Town: New Calcutta

While complaining about the state of the city, I didn’t loose my focus on trying out as many fish delicacies as I could during my stay. And yes Rosgullahs to complete a typical Bengali meal!
Here is a well-known quote from a Bengali poet who described a Bengali soul aptly, “God, you made me born as a Bengali, that’s why I didn’t have time to feel what the outer world had to offer”. His words were more to describe the Bengali’s lack of industriousness (very true since late sixties) and desire to remain in the confine of Bengal (lured by fish, sweets, literature and “adda” sessions) ignoring the appeal of the greater world.

I tried to call Lufthansa just to find out whether my flight is on time but what I got was a recorded voicemail, no live person. I was told LH maintains a cargo office at the airport but has no city office. What a contrast, when LH didn’t have any passenger service to CCU (only Cargo service at that time), they maintained a big office on a prime location on JL Nehru road. Many years back I made a trip to that office to get miles credited to my Miles & More account for flight taken on Modiluft!! Modiluft was Miles & More partner then.

All good things come to an end like my two weeks I spent with my ageing parents. I said goodbye to my near & dear ones and headed towards airport keeping good four hours in hand. Who knows, some dada somewhere on my way to the airport may be experiencing a stale cup of tea!!

July 26
Route: CCU- FRA
Flight#: LH 751
Aircraft: Airbus 330-300
Departure: 00:55AM
Arrival: 07:25AM

Nothing has changed in the International terminal of CCU airport, except increased number of flights. There was a time when CCU’s international terminal used to go off to sleep mode in the night. Except 3-weekly BKK & SIN, night time departure included 2-weekly TAROM flight to Bucharest and once weekly SU flight to Moscow via Sharjah. Compared to that, I can see marked improvement in pax numbers.

Since I was pretty early, I was almost the first few ones to check in as soon as the Lufthansa counter opened. I asked the agent whether he can see my Aeroplan # in his system, he said he couldn’t find (though Expedia printout clearly mentions the number). He took my card and entered it manually in the system. He gave me all three boarding passes and checked in my baggage till YWG. Since I had enough time, I didn’t go for immigration control immediately instead I occupied a chair at a vantage point and looked around as more and more passengers were arriving.

Early stage of check-in for LH & MU

China Eastern and Lufthansa counters were open on this side of the terminal and if you go further down the hall and turn right you will find a newly added check in area that is used by 9W, IT, AI etc. At that point of time SQ & IX was checking in passengers for SIN & DAC respectively. What struck me the most is the volume of passengers…it has increased exponentially. Lines in front of both China Eastern and Lufthansa were huge and same with SQ. I was curious to see the passenger profile of China Eastern, I was guessing that it would be a good mix of Indian businessmen & tourist folks with a few scattered Chinese. But it was the opposite, 99% Chinese (from China) and very few others. I couldn’t figure out what those Chinese were doing in Calcutta/Bengal.

Air India is the ground handling agent for all flights that were departing that night. I started a conversation with a young chap (working as an Air India agent whose job was to direct passengers to respective check-in counters, no wonder AI has 40,000+ employees!), he told me loads on LH and MU are consistently good (in fact today’s LH is choc-o-bloc, that I will realise once I enter the aircraft later). He did give me all the information that we at this forum has discussed long before, like HU’s entry to CCU, Thai air Asia’s flight to Phuket etc etc. When the new Terminal will open? Definitely by March 2012, pat came his reply.

After Immigration, I went upstairs (luckily, the lone escalator was working), once I was thru with the security, I threw myself in the can of Sardines (read boarding area). Until SQ passengers boarded their plane, there was not a single empty chair. I earlier found out that CCU has indeed added seating areas (on the left hand side before you go thru security) but no one is going that side. Either it is unknown or everyone is in a hurry to complete security formalities and join the other sardines.

Lots of empty chairs here but nobody availing them(including me)

There are two departure gates, one with aerobridge, the other one is sort of cemented slope that lead to the area for a bus ride to the aircraft. SQ left from gate# 1 (with aerobridge) and within few minutes TG from BKK docked at that gate. So, I was guessing MU will leave from gate# 2 first (since they leave 30 minutes earlier than us) and then it will be LH’s turn from the same gate. Gate#1 will remain occupied since TG’s scheduled departure time is 2AM.

Hardly anything happens in CCU that is logical. A frail-voiced announcer came on the PA, “LH passengers will board from gate# 2 blah blah”, no news for MU passengers. Poor guys without any knowledge of Bonglish (English with heavy Bengali accent) couldn’t figure out what was announced. In the mean time, Senators, semi-senators, family with small kids started boarding LH 751. And then suddenly came the announcement; “Passengers flying to Kunming by China Eastern Flight blah blah ..are requested to board from gate#2”. Holy cow! Two flights boarding from the same gate! Isn’t it a security nightmare of highest order! Heads would have rolled next morning had it happened in a civilized airport but don’t expect that in CCU!

But the Chinese folks not being able to follow what was announced, showed no sense of urgency! Passengers for LH were anxiously waiting for Chinese brothers to come and board quickly. Finally, some energetic LH passengers started making hand gestures to impress the Chinese folks that it is their turn to board. After some initial hesitation, few got up and started running towards the gate. Then others followed. I, to do my bit to ease the unfolding chaos, gestured an older Chinese couple to run for their flight. “We are going to Austin, Texas. We will board Lufthansa. Thanks”
Hmm…lessons to learn. Not all Sindhis go to Lagos, not all Malayalees go to UAE and not all Turks go to Germany!

LH 333 & MU 734 at the background

TG's 333 much better than A300 they used to bring before

Once inside the plane, before even the announcement was made (twice in fact) that the flight is full, I could see myself that the flight is overflowing! Passengers were struggling to find space for their handbags.

The aircraft is almost new and in a very good shape. We got delayed by an hour but Pilot announced that we will not be late at the gate at FRA. Once airborne, we were served bread roll (in the name of dinner) and a drink. I was expecting a proper meal but now I know (as Nimish mentioned in one of his Trip report) bread roll is what people get as dinner for flights originating from India. The crew consisted of Europeans and Indians. Announcements we made in German, English and Hindi. There was one recorded announcement in Bengali to let passengers know how to find a Bengali movie that was played in one of the channel. Soon, lights were dimmed but “Ting Tongs” kept on ringing throughout the night.
“Ting Tong..Can I get a glass of water please?”
“Ting Tong….Can you switch off my reading light please?”
“Ting Tong…Can I (realising that she/he pressed the button without any reason)..can I get something please?”

“Ting Tong…can you help me fart please?”
Well, this one I don’t know how far true but during AI-IC days in mid-80, a colleague of mine who was in Sales & Marketing, used to fly a lot in business class. He told us that in one such flight a very fat elderly man was getting impatient while seated in his chair. Not knowing how to best describe his uneasiness, he ended up requesting a FA to help lift his leg so that he can release what was bothering him for so long. This friend of ours was well known for his choicest jokes, so I can’t vouch for its authenticity. I miss that friend of mine even today and those formative years we spent together in Calcutta.

Duty Free came and gone, I woke up to find out whether they have miniature Lufthansa aircraft model. Yes they have but it will make you poorer by Euro25. Thank you, I don’t need.

This is waht you get as breakfast after about 8 hours of flying

Soon daylight started seeping inside from half closed windows. That is the best part of flying, when people 39,000 feet below still in darkness, you are few lucky ones to catch the first glimpses of morning light while sipping your choicest beverage. Breakfast was served and soon we were descending for our final preparation to land at FRA.

A lot has been written here about the labyrinth called FRA but since I had enough time to catch my next flight, I didn’t rush. After wandering about ten minutes or so, eventually I found a quieter corner where I dozed off for few hours.

You can't miss these in FRA

July 26
Route: FRA- YUL
Flight#: LH5480
Operated by: Air Canada
Aircraft: Boeing 77W
Departure: 10:30AM
Arrival: 12:10PM

From this section of the departure gates, there were 4 flights departing to different destinations in Canada almost all at the same time. YYZ & YUL were served in AC metal whereas YYC & YVR were in LH metal. The place gradually became unbearable as all passengers were screened by Canadian Immigration (a mini version what US does overseas) after they checked in. The process included scanning of your Passport and/or Visa and then placing a special black stamp on your boarding pass. The immigration guys had positioned themselves by the side of the boarding gate and that made the whole place chaotic.

Anyway, once boarded the aircraft, I immediately liked the interior, not because it is one of the newer 77Ws but ample space it offered by 3+3+3 layout in economy and also the impressive overhead luggage hold (especially in the mid section of the aircraft). Another first for me was mood lighting, I don’t know what role it plays but it was something new.

This will be my first Air Canada long haul post recession (2008-09). My experience with their long-haul product was horrible up until then. Whether it was their 763 on YYZ-LHR route, 343 on YVR- HKG or YYZ-DEL route, I almost always experienced demoralized FAs, sub-standard food and unkempt interiors.

But lately, I heard from friends that things were changing for better in-flight experience at AC. And after this flight, I can say yes, I had a memorable experience. We were fed 3 times and each time we had at least couple of options to choose from and each meal came with ample quantity. I had two bottles of red wine; second bottle was kind of forced upon me! Haven’t experienced that for many years! The AVOD unfortunately didn’t work; the Purser came on PA at least three times to say that the server in the luggage hold area is not responding in spite of few reboots. In his third announcement, he said that since AVOD didn’t work during the whole duration of the flight, Air Canada will hand out a coupon as a gesture of goodwill and it has some monetary value. Later on I found out that it is offering a 5% discount on fare for any flight taken within next 12 months. Not bad.

Overall, I was very impressed, well done Air Canada!
Our approach to YUL encountered a few bumps and jolts but we safely landed at YUL. The sky was getting covered by dark cloud and all indications were ripe for an impending thunderstorm. As a rule, I (like everyone else) had to do my Immigration and customs here though my final destination is YWG. Since I had my boarding pass already, I had to just drop off my baggage.

July 26
Route: YUL- YWG
Flight#: AC8521
Operated by: Air Canada Jazz
Aircraft: CRJ-700 (CRA)
Departure: 1:45PM
Arrival: 3:39PM

Dark cloud hanging over YUL

Our aircraft for YUL-YWG leg

The thunderstorm finally landed at YUL in a big way delaying my flight by about 3 hours. I used YUL before but never spent time inside, my impression after this trip is that YUL definitely needs a facelift, at least intra-Canada departure area. It is old and it shows.

Finally, we were allowed to board our aircraft which we did by walking up to it but we got stuck inside the aircraft with its door kept open for another one hour. Reason being the baggage handlers were not allowed to load the bags because they still at risk being hit by a lightning! Pilot kept us informed about what was happening on ground and finally we took off.

After about 3 long hours, I reached my home town Winnipeg, just in time to enjoy the rest of Manitoba’s short summer.

Thanks for reading; I really appreciate your patience to read all four parts of this trip!
theflyingsikh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Great Report's Reply with quote

Hay! Very nice report.

Looking at all you guys, I feel like completing some of my own report's too

In-fact some interesting ones I have are

Jet Airways inaugural flight Bom-Dxb-Bom J class on the A330
EY First Class and Diamond First Class suite Bom-Auh-Lhr A330 and A340-600
EK A380 J class Lhr-Dxb
EK B777 J class Dxb-Bom
9w B737 J class Bkk-Bom
9w B777 J class Bom-Lhr
9w B737 Y class Maa-Kul
9w B777 J class Lhr-Bom-Lhr
9w B777 J Class Bom-Del (Rosenthal Crockery and New Menu)
9w B737 J Class Del-Bom (Rosenthal Crockery,New Menu and birthday onboard)
IT A72 Y Class Del-Atq
IT A72 Y Class Ixc-Del
IT A320 Y class Goi-Bom
IC A320 J class Bom-Goi
BA B767 Y class Lhr-Mad
BA A321 J class Mad-Lhr
BA A321/320 Y class Lhr-Zrh-Lhr
BD A319 Y class Lhr-Edi-Lhr
IC A321 Y class Bom-Del
9w A72 Y class Ixu-Bom
G8 A320 Y class Bom-Sxr via Del-Ixj and return.
9w B737 J class Bom-Blr
9w B737 J class Bom-Maa
MH B737 Y class Kul-Dps
MH A330 Y class Dps-Kul
MH 737-400 Y class Kul-Bkk
9w B737 J class Bom-Ixc
AI B772 Y class Del-Atq
9w B737 J class Ccj-Bom (J cabin, Y service)
IX B737 Y class Maa-Cmb
9w B737 J Class Ccu-Bom
AI B777 J class Del-Bom

Report on The British Airways Open day Featuring The Concorde.
Report of The Farnborough Air show 2010.

Loads of other flights/Hotels/Ferry/Car trips too.

So much to share. But I'm soooooo "LAZY"

Your report
Reminds me of my Amazing trip to Kolkata a little while ago.
Did you visit Flurry's on Park Street?
Not to forget KC Dass Rosogullas, delicious Daab Chingri with Loochi's at 6 Ballygunje Place, Puchka and Spicy Calcutta rolls at roadside eateries,
and ofc the stay at The Park.

Kolkata is a Great city! I would love to visit someday again.

Have you got any pics of meals served on AC?
Last but not the least the LH meal looks very poor.

Glad you had a great Trip!
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for yet another wonderful report, Mr. Pal!
The nice descriptions and pictures were nicely spiced up with your humour. I liked your images of Calcutta - and the mood/tea-induced blockade description. Bandhs have made a colossal mess of this place - during my official trips to the place, I often set out quite early, and keep my fingers crossed. My father has been stuck up on official trips to the city a few times, when the airport has been rendered in-operational.
The hand-pulled rickshaws: there is a moron-PJ about the moron (but of course) coming back from Calcutta, and recounting to his friend, ``hey, I saw rickshaws with horses that look just like men!''
Your comment, `the Bengali’s lack of industriousness (very true since late sixties)' is quite apt as a pun, since the state has had a near zero-industrial output over all these years.
I have never been to the International Terminal - from your pictures, it looks quite old and dated - right down to the very few power-ports, and the old-styled new fans. I hope they work. Mumbai's VT is a perfect example of how old hardware can be maintained in a nice, clean and incredibly efficient manner. I liked your description of `Not all Sindhis...'' - beautiful!
What about powerports in Economy - LH does not have them, I guess, from what I have read on this forum. What about AC?
Yes, Mr. Pal - please keep it all coming, regularly. You write very well, and we look forward to reading your work!
Cheers, Sumantra.
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Great Report's Reply with quote

theflyingsikh wrote:
Looking at all you guys, I feel like completing some of my own report's too

Well, how should I put it? You have really whetted up my appetite by giving a preview of the tasty fare to come. From your list, I can see many trips where the uniqueness quotient is quite high, in terms of many parameters: the airlines, the places, the firsts - and perhaps, a lot more, too. Please take some time off to write them!
theflyingsikh wrote:
Did you visit Flurry's on Park Street?

I think it is `Flury's': they dish out some fantastic bakery products. In the 1980s in Delhi, they had a franchisee dish out plain bread in a green-and-yellow cover. Plain Jane white bread - but it came with a heavenly fresh smell, and was priced the same as the other breads. Unfortunately, they went out of business very soon.
Cheers, Sumantra.
theflyingsikh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Hay! Reply with quote

Hay Sumantra,

Thanks for the message.

Well you made me do it. I've completed the write up on my first trip report and also arranged the photos/videos on picasa.

I'm now unable to figure out. How can I post the pics on here. I use a mac if knowing that helps and Would like to create a Write up ---> Photo sequence.

Thanks
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hay! Reply with quote

theflyingsikh wrote:
Hay Sumantra,

Thanks for the message.

Well you made me do it. I've completed the write up on my first trip report and also arranged the photos/videos on picasa.

I'm now unable to figure out. How can I post the pics on here. I use a mac if knowing that helps and Would like to create a Write up ---> Photo sequence.

Thanks

Hi Flyingsikh,
Thanks for your comments. Happy to know that you like Calcutta. Fluries remind me my college days when we used to go there in droves for coffee & cake. And "Daab Chingri (for non-bengalee speaking crowd, the translation will be "Prawn in green coconut"), oh it's mouth-watering, I had homemade version.
Unfortunately, I have no pics of AC food.

Now, how to download pics:
Go to picasa-> select the picture->link to this photo-> click image only-> select size-> embed image-> copy-> bring it to your write up, prefix & suffix with img. That should work.
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Thanks for yet another wonderful report, Mr. Pal!
The nice descriptions and pictures were nicely spiced up with your humour. I liked your images of Calcutta - and the mood/tea-induced blockade description. Bandhs have made a colossal mess of this place - during my official trips to the place, I often set out quite early, and keep my fingers crossed. My father has been stuck up on official trips to the city a few times, when the airport has been rendered in-operational.
The hand-pulled rickshaws: there is a moron-PJ about the moron (but of course) coming back from Calcutta, and recounting to his friend, ``hey, I saw rickshaws with horses that look just like men!''
Your comment, `the Bengali’s lack of industriousness (very true since late sixties)' is quite apt as a pun, since the state has had a near zero-industrial output over all these years.
I have never been to the International Terminal - from your pictures, it looks quite old and dated - right down to the very few power-ports, and the old-styled new fans. I hope they work. Mumbai's VT is a perfect example of how old hardware can be maintained in a nice, clean and incredibly efficient manner. I liked your description of `Not all Sindhis...'' - beautiful!
What about powerports in Economy - LH does not have them, I guess, from what I have read on this forum. What about AC?
Yes, Mr. Pal - please keep it all coming, regularly. You write very well, and we look forward to reading your work!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Hi Sumantra,
Please call me PAL@YWG, I feel at ease with that and we are all fellow AI-netters here, all with equal footing! And in this part of the world, you call your CEO by his first name, a small kid will call some one by his first name even if the guy is 80 years old. It's a cultural issue, can't think of that in India! Well, everything has good & bad sides.

Again, thanks for all kind words! Happy that you liked it. As far as powerport is concerned, I think AC had it and also an USB port. I may be wrong, after 11 flights in 24 days, I can't say for sure if I didn't take a picture.
Eagerly waiting for your Moscow trip! Do Svedaniya!
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hay! Reply with quote

`Well you made me do it'.
Hmm...this sounds like the `The Devil me do it' signs Smile
You are a Mac user, so I may not be of much help here.
Just as the aviation world is polarised into A/B/C&E, the computer world is more of U/W/M. I fall into the first category, where I use a plain (ASCII) text editor (hence, very little BBCode except for the image embedding). If I have to put in a Picasa image, I right click on the image in the album in Firefox - one option is `Copy image location'. This will give the correct URL of the actual image, which I paste in. This is something like
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iPpiyOnvaLU/TlDLp3mtDhI/AAAAAAAADa4/a-l5fYkk5oM/mannequin.jpg
Now, I put in two types of embellishments: I want the BBCode to insert the image, as well as make it viewable on a click. I do the following:
[url=https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iPpiyOnvaLU/TlDLp3mtDhI/AAAAAAAADa4/a-l5fYkk5oM/mannequin.jpg][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iPpiyOnvaLU/TlDLp3mtDhI/AAAAAAAADa4/a-l5fYkk5oM/mannequin.jpg[/img][/url]
(No spaces, tabs or enter key-presses in any of the above, since whitespace causes a bad parse of the abvoe, from the BBCode translator)
And yes, please do not forget to uncheck the `Disable BBCode in this post' option when you are posting to this forum, else you may get the gibberish above. If you uncheck it, you will get the image embedded in the post.
Thanks - looking forward to this report, and many more!
Cheers, Sumantra.
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAL@YWG wrote:
Eagerly waiting for your Moscow trip! Do Svedaniya!

Sta-siba. Moscva ee a-braht-na. But before that (chronologically), comes a trip to Bho-PAL, which I will post shortly. Thank you!
With warm regards,
Sumantra
GuyFromBOM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

Nice TR, PAL@YWG..! The pics of the CCU Terminal remind me of the old Sahar Airport, I used to visit as a kid.

PAL@YWG wrote:
Not all Sindhis go to Lagos, not all Malayalees go to UAE and not all Turks go to Germany!

Most are frequent visitors to the USA as well, if you know which USA I am talking about..! Wink
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

GuyFromBOM wrote:
Nice TR, PAL@YWG..! The pics of the CCU Terminal remind me of the old Sahar Airport, I used to visit as a kid.

PAL@YWG wrote:
Not all Sindhis go to Lagos, not all Malayalees go to UAE and not all Turks go to Germany!

Most are frequent visitors to the USA as well, if you know which USA I am talking about..! Wink

Having used old Sahar airport many timesin the past, you rightly compared CCU with that. CCU's international wing is frozen in time (70's).
No, I know only one USA (United states of America). Is there one more?
Eager to know. Thanks!
GuyFromBOM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

PAL@YWG wrote:
No, I know only one USA (United states of America). Is there one more? Eager to know. Thanks!

9 out of 10 times, the USA mentioned by a Sindhi refers to: Ulhasnagar Sindhi Association... you are free to join me on my next visit..!
And let me assure you of tempting delicacies out there. Razz

@Sumantra, I know you already wanna go..! Laughing
theflyingsikh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Hay Guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. I've managed to post my first ever trip report.
Hope you will find it, as an interesting read.

Thanks
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your return report on LH/ AC - it's come out really well! Given a choice of airlines, would you choose to fly LH/ AC again on this routing?
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Thanks for posting your return report on LH/ AC - it's come out really well! Given a choice of airlines, would you choose to fly LH/ AC again on this routing?

Yes, I have no problem with LH/AC combo. LH is "nothing fancy", no-nonsense (FAs in particular) and an effective network carrier where other *A carriers have jelled in very smoothly over the years. Sad that AI couldn't make it to the group.

But with EK/QR's double onslaught on poor CCU's feeble passenger volume, next time I may not find LH out of CCU.
PAL@YWG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

GuyFromBOM wrote:
PAL@YWG wrote:
No, I know only one USA (United states of America). Is there one more? Eager to know. Thanks!

9 out of 10 times, the USA mentioned by a Sindhi refers to: Ulhasnagar Sindhi Association... you are free to join me on my next visit..!

ROFL, You guys are very innovative, I must say! I hope Ulhasnagar residents still fly Indian flag! Laughing

While on Acronym, there was an airline called SABENA (Belgian national carrier before it gone kaput) which was also known as "Such A Bloody Experience, Never Again".
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

GuyFromBOM wrote:

Oh Hiren, how did I miss out on this one? Smile
This is a new piece of information for me. Most of my Mumbai jaunts have been limited to following my nose to Matunga's A. Rama Nayak, or roaming about the Fort area (and sometimes, invariably winding up at Bade Miyan's), or roaming around Dadar, seeking something that is exotic on the palette, and light on the purse (the considerable belly is not a parameter to be considered, here!)
Cheers, Sumantra.
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Going home: CCU-FRA-YUL-YWG Reply with quote

PAL@YWG wrote:
While on Acronym, there was an airline called SABENA (Belgian national carrier before it gone kaput) which was also known as "Such A Bloody Experience, Never Again".

...and there are quite a few more such as LUFTHANSA and SAS, which wouldn't exactly pass the censor, or make it on a family website.
Cheers, Sumantra.
stealthpilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting trip, I would pick the LH 333 with PTVs over the old 744 any day!!!
sabya99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Visit to Kolkata. Reply with quote

I like this trip report. Next time I visit Kolkata I will post my trip report here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: