Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9W stopping ATQ - LHR and IT extends BLR - LHR to SFO
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airbus 340

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: 9W stopping ATQ - LHR and IT extends BLR - LHR to SFO Reply with quote

Just saw this on an Indian News Channel stating that Jet Airways will stop their ATQ- LHR service and Kingfisher will use the same slot and fly to SFO from LHR .

If this is true , they would end up filling up their LHR- SFO service with connecting pax from DEL and BOM on 9W and BLR on IT .

Any info or commenst will be appreciated .......

Cheers
airindia787

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the A330 have the range for LHR-SFO? This would fill their flight though, so good news if true. And knowing IT's strategy in the past few months, I'm not sure if it is.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airindia787 wrote:
Does the A330 have the range for LHR-SFO? This would fill their flight though, so good news if true. And knowing IT's strategy in the past few months, I'm not sure if it is.

Yes, it does.

Aer Lingus flew A332s from Dublin to LAX until recently. Northwest flies A332s from AMS to SEA.

This LHR based strategy is actually quite clever. With it, Mallya can pursue his dream of serving SFO and LHR from BLR, as well as dip into the vast high end premium market from LHR. He'd have to price his LHR-SFO fares at slightly below VS's Upper Class fares to make it work. None of this "I'm Vijay Mallya and I'll charge a premium" nonsense.
airbus 340

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: From the Financial Times website Reply with quote

Jet CEO Saroj Dutta said the company would lay off another 1100 staff. This will take the total number to 1900. Mr Dutta said the company would cut 15% domestic routes and will also withdraw London-Amritsar flight.
avbuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is something to watch.

But then why not 9W start LHR-SFO on a B77W and IT give the feeder?
Jacobin777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any carrier going up against BA/VS/UA on LHR-SFO will have some serious work to do.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobin777 wrote:
Any carrier going up against BA/VS/UA on LHR-SFO will have some serious work to do.

Agreed.

But if Jet/IT play their cards right, they could cut into VS' share by offering good corporate discounts. Plus, they don't have to fill a flight up front with LHR-SFO pax. All they need to do is skim off a few from the competition. UA and BA with their FF plans would be hard to attack, but VS may be an easier target.
sshank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could work especially if they can time the LHR-SFO to connect with the 9W flights from BOM and DEL.

[quote="Jaysit"]
airindia787 wrote:

This LHR based strategy is actually quite clever. With it, Mallya can pursue his dream of serving SFO and LHR from BLR, as well as dip into the vast high end premium market from LHR. He'd have to price his LHR-SFO fares at slightly below VS's Upper Class fares to make it work. None of this "I'm Vijay Mallya and I'll charge a premium" nonsense.
ryder1650

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For India flights via LHR from SFO, I am sure the vast majority are on BA. Virgin requires a 10 hour layover in horrid LHR and UA requires changing to another airline in horrid LHR. Most Star Alliance flyers from SFO will take LH, SQ, or Asiana with much easier connection procedures.
airbus 340

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Also on Airliners . net now Reply with quote

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4179136/
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this 9W/IT India-Heathrow-SFO collaboration doesn't work in establishing a route from India to SFO, then nothing will.

They may as well give up and call it a day.
ryder1650

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
If this 9W/IT India-Heathrow-SFO collaboration doesn't work in establishing a route from India to SFO, then nothing will.

I agree, the late entry into the SFO market and that none of the Indian carriers are part of a mileage alliance may doom this flight as well. Also, just like with the PVG flight, it may be hard to capture the SFO-LHR market instead of just the SFO-India market (which really hurt the PVG flight for 9W).
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryder1650 wrote:
Jaysit wrote:

I agree, the late entry into the SFO market and that none of the Indian carriers are part of a mileage alliance may doom this flight as well. Also, just like with the PVG flight, it may be hard to capture the SFO-LHR market instead of just the SFO-India market (which really hurt the PVG flight for 9W).

With an A332 getting feed at LHR from BLR, BOM and DEL as well as secondary cities that feed into BOM, DEL and BLR, they shouldn't need the LHR-SFO market or a mileage alliance. LHR-SFO traffic should just be added icing on the cake. If they need it to make the route viable then they're wasting their time.

I heard that the daily average loads on the BOM-SFO flights was about 40-50%. That means about 120 to 150 pax. They can surely get another 100 from BLR and DEL on a daily basis to fly that baby all the way to SFO without having to worry about whether Becks and Posh want to fly them.
airindia787

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I assume this means that IT would need 3 A330's to do BLR-LHR-SFO, given that they need 2 to do a daily BLR-LHR alone. Unless they can get better slots, that is a lot of aircraft for a daily service.
iah87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last year, 9W increased the frequency of ATQ-LHR flight on the basis that it was doing very well. I don't know if the economic crises effects ATQ also. Most pax are VFRs and they will fly regardless of the economic conditions. May be 9W priced the fares a bit too high as compared to AI, Aeroflot and the former Soviet Union Carriers.

On LHR-SFO sector, there are a good amount of PIO pax flying from SFO to England and other countries and many may be tempted to try IT/9W, especially considering that the service on the flights will be good.
Aseem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airindia787 wrote:
However, I assume this means that IT would need 3 A330's to do BLR-LHR-SFO, given that they need 2 to do a daily BLR-LHR alone. Unless they can get better slots, that is a lot of aircraft for a daily service.

I guess they can use one of 9Ws.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airindia787 wrote:

Why do they need 2 daily aircraft for the LHR route alone?

Other airlines do the EU-BLR route with just 1.
avbuff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
airindia787 wrote:

Why do they need 2 daily aircraft for the LHR route alone?

Other airlines do the EU-BLR route with just 1.

It is because of the timings currently that they need 2 aircrafts.

I think the BLR-LHR-SFO can be done with 2 zircrafts, but then it would be too tight, hence three would be needed.
haree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few pointers..

Quote:
Jet Airways will stop their ATQ- LHR service and Kingfisher will use the same slot and fly to SFO from LHR

How can the surrender of ATQ-LHR "Slot" enable Kingfisher to extend LHR to SFO... Stupid indian aviation journalism again!

Quote:
Jet CEO Saroj Dutta said the company would lay off another 1100 staff

What happened to Wolfgang wasnt he the CEO until yesterday evening ?!
jasepl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iah87 wrote:
Just last year, 9W increased the frequency of ATQ-LHR flight on the basis that it was doing very well.

1. Jet started AMD-LHR and ATQ-LHR
2. Then AI started AMD-LHR, which made ATQ the better performer for JET
3. So Jet chopped AMD and moved those frequencies to ATQ
4. Now AI announced ATQ-LHR, so it makes sense for Jet to explore another market.
jasepl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will Jet and Kingfisher think about offering a standard or even similar product? Or will the Flying Whorehouses grace San Francisco? Wink
aarbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasepl wrote:
iah87 wrote:
Just last year, 9W increased the frequency of ATQ-LHR flight on the basis that it was doing very well.

1. Jet started AMD-LHR and ATQ-LHR
2. Then AI started AMD-LHR, which made ATQ the better performer for JET
3. So Jet chopped AMD and moved those frequencies to ATQ
4. Now AI announced ATQ-LHR, so it makes sense for Jet to explore another market.

AI's AMD-LHR was already in place before 9W's entry.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasepl wrote:
So will Jet and Kingfisher think about offering a standard or even similar product? Or will the Flying Whorehouses grace San Francisco? Wink

That's a very unfair comment to make about young women who are not whores, and who work incredibly hard to make even an Economy Class flight seem like First Class on most other carriers. They may get carried away on the make-up end (some look almost clownish in the harsh light of day), but they're constantly smiling even when dealing with boorish louts.
jasepl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
jasepl wrote:

That's a very unfair comment to make about young women who are not whores, and who work incredibly hard to make even an Economy Class flight seem like First Class on most other carriers. They may get carried away on the make-up end (some look almost clownish in the harsh light of day), but they're constantly smiling even when dealing with boorish louts.

I'm not talking about the women at all. But rather the red, red interiors.

My ex had a bright red car, with red-and-beige leather interiors... and I used to call it his whorehouse on wheels.
Jaysit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, red they are. Now imagine all that red in one of Mallya's imaginary A380s on its imaginary daily BLR-IAH runs.

But as far as whorehouse go, it would look like a whorehouse only if Mallya himself was on board in his usual ghetto pimp bling bling attire.
Punjabi Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasepl wrote:

Please do not lower yourself to that level of language....(I did say please)
jasepl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
Well, red they are. Now imagine all that red in one of Mallya's imaginary A380s on its imaginary daily BLR-IAH runs.

But as far as whorehouse go, it would look like a whorehouse only if Mallya himself was on board in his usual ghetto pimp bling bling attire.

Haha! Oh my God... Pimp Daddy and his bling will take the flying whorehouse to new heights!
circleglobe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see any online news item regarding this proposed flight. I wonder if it's just rumour or speculation.

There is also the question of fifth-freedom rights from LHR to SFO. It is not clear whether the UK allows Indian carriers with such rights. (The NYC-LON rights are grandfathered in.)

And what about the codeshare deal with United on LHR-SFO?

In a menu of bad options, a rather less worse option is to be the only operator on BRU-SFO and adjust flight timings to make the flights connect not only to India, but to SN's European and African network. Jet, unlike Kingfisher, has already invested in starting up SFO and is more established at Brussels than Kingfisher is at LHR.

Another arguably less worse option might be to plug away on the existing PVG route at 3x or 4x weekly and work (uphill) to establish a foothold with the China market. It looks like Jet cannot afford to do this though. It looks like cargo is also a flop.

A less, less worse option would be to codeshare with UA and wait out the next couple of years and see if a new generation of aircraft can possibly make a difference when things turn up.

It seems like not only aviation fans here but also the Indian media and 9W and IT executives remain way too excited about SFO and desperately want an SFO route even when it's quite clear that even in the best of times, this is a tough one.
avbuff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm 9W stopping ATQ-LHR and AI starting ATQ-LHR.... So how about a conspiracy theory this time eh Nimish? Wink

AI influenced 9W so that the route is handed over to them, leaving 9W nowhere LOL
Nimish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avbuff wrote:
Hmm 9W stopping ATQ-LHR and AI starting ATQ-LHR.... So how about a conspiracy theory this time eh Nimish? Wink

AI influenced 9W so that the route is handed over to them, leaving 9W nowhere LOL

Oh yes - this is totally shameful, the way the minister and AI are arm-twisting 9W into giving up their lucrative routes Wink. If it had not been for this arm twisting, 9W would have been a very successful and rich carrier Wink Twisted Evil
vivekman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Oh yes - this is totally shameful, the way the minister and AI are arm-twisting 9W into giving up their lucrative routes Wink. If it had not been for this arm twisting, 9W would have been a very successful and rich carrier Wink Twisted Evil

Oh this is just another conspiracy by VJM and PP, I tell you!

Who can forget their "much publicised" arm twisting to get AI out of the LAX market so that they could get into SFO....Don't ya remember it?? Laughing Twisted Evil
neha_skies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasepl wrote:
Jaysit wrote:
jasepl wrote:

My ex had a bright red car, with red-and-beige leather interiors... and I used to call it his whorehouse on wheels.

It is sad that you perceive Kingfisher on the lines of whorehouses, very sad.
haree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaysit wrote:
hey're constantly smiling even when ealing with boorish louts.

I would differ with that point. KF Girls do carry an inherent attitude not found in most other airlines and the smiles arent quite as evident as you said.
vivekman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haree wrote:
I would differ with that point. KF Girls do carry an inherent attitude not found in most other airlines and the smiles arent quite as evident as you said.

I have seen smiling IT FAs atleast 80% of the times I have flown with them. In fact, on a few occasions, they have been super-nice and have gone that extra mile for me.

e.g. letting me know before starting the meal service, that I could click a cabin shot, closing the baggage compartments after all passengers had deplaned to allow me a good cabin photograph, etc. In fact, I once had a very pleasant conversation with an FA who was returning from BLR, after completion of her training on the newly arrived A330s. She gave me some good info about their new planes, their training, etc.

So, although there are bad apples in all airlines, I have found the IT FAs to be very polite, and sporting a genuine smile. In fact, its a challenge to keep serving with a smile even when you know that some idiots are staring you down.

I think they are a nice bunch of girls, dressed in some garishly loud, attention drawing uniforms. I feel VJM should have selected a more sober colour for their uniforms.

- Vivek
Punjabi Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neha_skies wrote:
jasepl wrote:
Jaysit wrote:
jasepl wrote:

It is sad that you perceive Kingfisher on the lines of whorehouses, very sad.

I once again ask that the term "who**hous**" is NOT used.....Come on all.....nothing KF have done deserve that term.......Keep it clean.......
Punjabi Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circleglobe wrote:
There is also the question of fifth-freedom rights from LHR to SFO. It is not clear whether the UK allows Indian carriers with such rights. (The NYC-LON rights are grandfathered in.)

It would not be a problem as long as you have a slot out of LHR.....that is what the recent April 08 Open-skies programme was about.....This is where the AF flight to LAX from LHR came about..And if Jet were to cancel ATQ and hand over the slot to KF then that would be what would happen.........after all I think KF have the slot into SFO??.....if so not a problem....The only problem that would have to be solved would be the departure times.......at the moment the ATQ slot time leaves LHR at 2030pm Local.......and the KF BLR flight arrives at 1400pm Local........So 6-7 hours on the ground would be the problem.....and also I worked out that if a KF SFO bound flight were to leave LHR at 2030pm......it would arrive at a very odd time in SFO 2200pm in the evening... UA have the better LHR to SFO times.....and they would have a very hard fight against UA with thier 2 flights SFO from LHR........

At the moment KF have not made much of an impression at LHR.....In fact they have even sunk a little lower since the recent invlovement with the 9W fiasco
sammyk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punjabi Boy wrote:

I once again ask that the term "who**hous**" is NOT used.....Come on all.....nothing KF have done deserve that term.......Keep it clean.......

Relax, it was just said in jest. The poster even explained he was not referring to KF personnel but to the color of the interior. C'mon, let's grow some skin here and not be so offended by minor things like this.
Punjabi Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyk wrote:
Punjabi Boy wrote:

Relax, it was just said in jest. The poster even explained he was not referring to KF personnel but to the color of the interior. C'mon, let's grow some skin here and not be so offended by minor things like this.

Not a nice thing to come out of your mouths...very vile....respect all.

Last edited by Punjabi Boy on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Punjabi Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure ATQ- LHR is stopping???....Just spoken to someone who has booked seats this morning for Feb2009.......??
Sure it is not people here who have stopped the flight?
jasepl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivekman wrote:
I think they are a nice bunch of girls, dressed in some garishly loud, attention drawing uniforms. I feel VJM should have selected a more sober colour for their uniforms.- Vivek

Oh totally. The uniforms, interiors, everything... All so <i>jhatak</i> and crass. But its the attention whore Mallya in charge after all, so classless and tasteless are par for the course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: