Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolkata during the Durga Puja (2010)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Kolkata during the Durga Puja (2010) Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Exams just got over last evening. Other than Maths and Physics (the subjects which I need to do well in, for my future!), most of them didn't go as planned. I need to focus on those. So here I am, with only a week's relaxation.

Here is what I'll be doing. My first TR (IT and 9W to IXB), was my coverage of the 2011 and 2012 years, respectively. Those where the flights, where I had a DSLR to take pictures with. But prior to that, I had just the small one to take videos with. Hence, there won't be any pictures from these TR, therefore, I will keep it short. Very short. I know I have a horrible habit of extending stuff. With my Father's permission, I may put a few pictures of the 2010 Durga Puja here.

Anyways, the old times are brought back, so here goes.

INTRODUCTION, BOOKING AND PLANNING
We decided to go to Kolkata for the auspicious Durga Puja, which is the time of happiness, togetherness, tempting food and loads of shopping for the Bengalis. This falls just after the rainy season, and before winter. We had also planned to take one of our close friends. She has travelled to many places around the world, but she had never gone to Kolkata. She also wanted to experience the sights and sounds of Kolkata during this festive season. Knowing that this being the festive season, tickets would be expensive, and would not be easy to get. So, we booked our tickets on a morning IndiGo flight and a late night Jet Airways Konnect flight from Kolkata. We selcected IndiGo, because of the impressive service they gave on our BBI-BOM flight. Unfortunately IndiGo, just ‘cancelled’ the flight: every ticket booked was refunded. (See? IndiGo had their flaws! Its not only Jet Airways!) So with no option, we booked tickets on the Duronto Express. This is a super-fast train in India, non-stop between the destinations. Building up to the journey, Jet Airways said that our flight (9W-2152) had been cancelled and merged with flight 9W-212, with the same timing. Well, a success in evading low fare!

This was going to be my second time on the Duronto. First time, being in May 2010, same route. Both times, it was after a F1 race weekend. So in May, Alonso finished 2nd at home in Spain, and in October, he won the Korean Grand Prix, taking over the Championship lead with 2 races to go.

Our departure day had come, and after about 26 hours in the train, with no fresh air, we reached Kolkata. Indian Railways had lived up to its name for delaying ALL trains. But surprisingly, we were delayed by a mere 7 minutes! We had a great time in Kolkata.

DEPARTURE DAY
Our departure day for the flight had arrived. One of my friends was returning from Bhopal the same day, on an Air India A319. Unfortunately, we could not web-check in due to the change in flight numbers. Anyways, we expected a big traffic jam on the way to the airport. And also it rained heavily! As we left home, for some strange reason, ALL ROADS WERE EMPTY! So, we reached 3 and half hours before departure time. Well, I would be happy to reach so early in airports like HKG, SIN, BKK or even BOM (domestic). But CCU, where the terminal is old, slightly dirty, and you can’t see any activity unless you have an aerobridge departure!

CHECK IN, SECURITY, HOLDING
While checking in, the agent was shocked to see us check-in so early as passengers for the earlier 9W flight to Mumbai, (9W-616) were still checking in! The very kind lady gave my parents and aunty a seat on the Emergency Exit and I got seat row 30A. I had no idea of any 9W Boeing 737-800 configurations back then. I just hoped for some miracle, that the aircraft had the entertainment system. Our flight was scheduled to depart from Gate 2A. So this meant a long wait on the ground floor. We went through security. Sitting around so much filth, didn’t feel good. And we waited. And we were still waiting. It was getting dark. There was close to zero activity. And we kept waiting! Meanwhile I had a chicken roll, which is a delicacy for the people of Kolkata. It felt terrible sitting in the waiting lounge, surrounded by paper plates with sauce on it, cups, bottles, plastic bags, etc. This possibly was the dirtiest airport I have ever seen! Anyways, at around 1956 I felt the flight would be delayed. But just then, an announcement came: ‘Jet Airways flight 9W-211 from Mumbai has arrived.’

BOARDING
Just twenty minutes later, boarding had started. This was a really fast preparation of the aircraft! Anyways, I was the one of the first passengers to board the bus. As the bus got full, we headed for the aircraft. There was one IndiGo A320, and a Kingfisher A319. At one end of the aerobridge gates, stood a clean looking Jet Airways Boeing 737-800 with winglets. I looked at the registration, it was VT-JBM. This was a brand new aircraft, so I was sure about the entertainment system. I was filled with joy! I went right next to the small CFM56 engine (No wait, it looked HUGE to be honest!) and I boarded from the stairs at Door 2R. The F/A, was busy doing something in the galley, so he didn’t welcome me (as I was the only boarding from behind). Door R2 was shut, which meant that the food had been loaded pretty fast. Just I turned in towards the cabin, I was disappointed: leather seats, but no PTV’s. Well, I really wasn’t expecting it, as it was a pretty night-ish flight. The was also my first flight on a Jet Airways B737 with winglets!
I took my seat, with people around me only taking the window seats. 2 or 3 more busses came, but only about 15 passengers (in total) came out of those busses. I asked for a pillow and a blanket, but all of them were taken. About 25 minutes before departure, the Captain confirmed the registration in a funny way: the radio was accidently switched on the P/A system, and communicated to the ground staff by saying: ‘Roger, Bravo Mustard’. Well I had a slight smile on my face, and my father looked behind, smiling back.

DEPARTURE
20 minutes before departure, I heard the best ‘Ground Staff disembark, arming doors for an on-time departure.’ This announcement is completely IndiGo’s! In every row, (6 seats each) had just 2 passengers sitting in them! All of passengers (the only ones sitting in the A and F seats from rows 27-37) had a smile. But, the lady in seat 31A had a baby. I hoped it was a quiet kid. Engines started, and we taxied towards the runway, and the pilot applied the brakes, quite hard. We then took a turn, and then I saw the reason for our surprise braking: An Emirates A330-200 preparing for departure! Along with that, there was also a Jet Airways 73H, VT-JGT (most likely to BKK). We made a quick taxi, and the kid behind me started to cry. As we reached the runway, I saw the markings. I saw that we had left out about 1.2km of the runway, as it wasn't a full length take off It was indeed one of the shortest take offs for me in a Boeing 737!
We took off, and went over the Howrah Bridge, which looked beautiful, as it was lit up! By now, the baby behind fell off to sleep, and the cabin was dark, with only the CFM56 engines roaring.

INFLIGHT
Cabin lights were lit up, and drinks service started just a few minutes later. There was an option between Pepsi and Lime Juice. I took a lime juice. We were also offered second and third rounds! I went up to Row 21 to my Dad, as I was getting slightly bored sitting behind, all alone. As the food trolleys were got in front, I went back to my seat. The F/A gave me the options for food: ‘Sir would you like to have a Vegetarian meal which has a Vegetable Biryani (spicy preparation of rice) with paneer (cottage cheese) or a Non-Vegetarian meal with pulao (a rice prep) and chicken. Like some idiot I said: ‘Non-Veg please’ in a weird tone. The F/A looked at me with surprise and said: ‘Alright, Sir!’ We both smiled at each other, and he told me: ‘Enjoy your meal’. I had my meal slowly, but because of the light load factor, the crew was taking the food trays back really fast. After about 10 minutes, I went to the washroom. As I came out, I saw the F/A was clearing up the trays. I thought I should just start up a conversation.

WHAT MADE THIS FLIGHT SPECIAL..
‘Hi there’! I said.
‘Hello sir! How may I help you?’ he said.
‘Oh I don’t need anything, I am a big freak of planes, and I just wanted to ask a few things!’
‘Sure, why not sir? Would you like to have a seat?’ He opened the jump seat for me.
‘Oh, no I’m fine! Do you have a duty on international flight after this’?
‘No no! I am going back home after this!’ We both laughed after this.
I went on: ‘I want to pursue a flying career. I aim to fly the Boeing 777-200LR or the 300ER someday. And please don’t call me sir after this!’
He then told: ’we have a shortage of Boeing 777 pilots right now, do you want to join in?
I then joked: ‘When, tonight? I know one of your 777 goes to London!’ We again had a brief giggle.
Then a female F/A came and asked: ‘What’s going on?’ The other F/A said: ‘We have a young pilot among us. He wants to fly a Boeing 777 some day!’
The second F/A asked me: ‘Do you want to fly a Jet Airways Boeing 777?’ I said: ‘I really hoped so, I hear you have a slight shortage of Indian pilots for the 777. But, I would like to be slightly away from home, like the UAE, Qatar or Hong Kong.’
The second F/A went to answer a call from a passenger. Then I went on: ‘Why Are there a few Boeing 737-800’s with PTV’s and a few without them?’
He then told: ‘I am sure you’ve heard about Jet Airways Konnect, our low cost service’.
‘Yes’ I said.
The older aircraft and the brand new aircraft from the factory are configured for these flights. The ones which have PTV’s are for International and high yielding domestic flights.’
‘I am surprised to see only a few people on this flight. How many are there? ’44 in economy, sir.’
‘Is this every day? Or is it only today?'
‘I don’t know sir’. The second F/A came back, and asked: ‘Do like flying with us?’
‘I sure do! I am only disappointed by one thing; not all of your domestic flights have PTV’s.
‘Yes sir, most of our planes are being revamped to the new interiors.’
By revamp, they meant putting in the new Y class seats..
But, I went on: ‘When is your Boeing 777’s coming back? You have only 3 of them right now don’t you?’
The second F/A said: ‘The rest of them are with Thai and Turkish. Even I’m eager to know when they are returning. The A330 is a great aircraft. But is a huge crunch of space as compared to the Boeing 777.’
‘Your international product is also great! I came back from Hong Kong in one of the A330. I really liked the herringbone seating of the Premiere class.’
The second F/A told ‘You should’ve gone to Hong Kong a year later. We have plans to deploy the Boeing 777 on the Mumbai-Hong Kong route. (This is a fact; Jet Airways now operates the 777 on this route!)

After about a 30 minute chat with them, I thanked them for a wonderful flight so far. They told ‘It wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for only 44 passengers tonight!’

THE REST OF THE FLIGHT
By then, I felt that we had entered the state of Maharashtra. Turbulence had hit our aircraft quite hard, and the fasten seat belts sign went on. I switched on my iPod, and tried not to sleep. But, the turbulence grew harder, and I saw the wing and the winglet shake vigorously. The baby behind also woke up. The female F/A who I chatted with, came after 20 minutes of heavy turbulence. She took the baby on her shoulder, and patted her off to sleep. She fell off to sleep, just before descent started. I hoped she kept sleeping until we landed.

DESCENT AND ARRIVAL
As we came closer to Mumbai, I saw so many aircraft circling over Mumbai and many of them following holding in pattern. No sign of turbulence during approach, and we landed in Mumbai, 7 minutes before time. Hard braking and a short roll down meant we could taxi straight in front of Terminal 1B. Engines shut off, doors disarmed, I decided to be the last one off the aircraft. Reason? I wanted to take a video of a Jet Airways Boeing 777! The aircraft taxied by towards the international bay, and I got up from my seat. I looked back, waved to the really friendly crew, who also waved back, and said ‘Thank You’. I switched on my camera to take a video of the ‘Konnect’ cabin. I thanked the rest of the crew, and got off the aircraft into the bus. I also saw the Captain and First officer come out of the aircraft before me! Everything was ‘fast’ on this lightly loaded flight. As we went back to the terminal, I saw the second Boeing 777 of the day (no wait, its night). This time, an Air France Boeing 777-200 from Paris. I got off the bus and met mum and dad. As we usual, we were the last ones to get our luggage, but it took only 15 minutes. As we came out to find our taxi, the Jet Airways Boeing 777 (not sure if it was the same one) took with a roar from the GE-90’s.

From check in to receiving our luggage, this has by far been the best flight for me on Jet Airways. Probably it was because of the light loads on the flight.
^^ And it still is! No flight on 9W has come close to taking away that throne! Although, its quite close for the fight into second place!

I'm going through my disk to find any possible pictures Smile

Link to the next TR: http://airlinersindia.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=12422

Regards
Jishnu

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Pictures and videos Reply with quote

Ok so I extracted the very limited things I had, and I'll mention it again, its done with a Nikon Coolpix, the blue one, L22 I guess. Anyways, just a few days after this trip, Dad did the inevitable: buying his dream camera, therefore, I took over the D40..

Cabin shot of the Duronto LHB train Wink

Ok, so considering the fact that there are 3 classes on this train, first, Ac 2 and Ac 3, we were in premium economy, which is, Ac 2 Smile

When I had an interest in trains, this was my favourite...the WAP4...
Although on a SE Railway route, the Howrah WAP4 is used, god knows why Confused

I still don't understand the use of this!

My bed Razz

And the food. Compare it with 2012, look at the amount of food!

Videos:
Horrible quality of the B77W going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gmCjvosTA
The bus ride at Mumbai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZj9CwyHkZw
Interior of the B73H: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQb44oypXs
Landing at BOM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wraC4-AHAYQ
Take off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnrlTe8l0so
Howrah Bridge with lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCR4oynHAz0
Taxiing at CCU, braking, EK A332: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9xT8e8fQ8
Recorded announcements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIfu4oG_Uk
And of course, the start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXshPiZMy8g

Regards
Jishnu
[/img]
sabya99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice presentation Jishnu. Please keep doing it. Very Happy
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice trip report, Jishnu! I am glad you did into go into hibernate mode. This Jet airways flight sounded very nice, with some nice cabin crew. You described it very nicely. I have never been on the Duronto before, the food presentation looks different, a bit plane-ish, as opposed to the Rajdhani/Shatabdi type (which isn't bad by any standards!). Can you put in some description of the Duronto journey, all in your inimitable style? How is the experience quite different from a Rajdhani one, for instance?
Thanks, Sumantra.
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabya99 wrote:

Sabyasachi, it is nice to see you getting activated when there is something related to Calcutta Smile I am sure you have many memories of numerous trips to India. Can I request you to take some time out, and put them down? One trip report to date - is far too less from someone as active as you, on another section, which in itself, is a pleasure to go through. You write well - let us enjoy more from your pen/keyboard!
Cheers, Sumantra.
sabya99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
sabya99 wrote:

Sabyasachi, it is nice to see you getting activated when there is something related to Calcutta Smile I am sure you have many memories of numerous trips to India. Can I request you to take some time out, and put them down? One trip report to date - is far too less from someone as active as you, on another section, which in itself, is a pleasure to go through. You write well - let us enjoy more from your pen/keyboard!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Sumantra, I lived Kolkata for first 27 years of my life. Any other Indian city I have visited only for short time. So naturally I am attracted to it. I am definitely not happy with the decline of Kolkata from a major industrial hub to a dying mega polis. But nobody listens to me and I am ignored.
As you have requested I will post my first two back to back trip report originally published November 2009 in the web. It may be somewhat back dated but you will have an idea how I started my TR business. Perhaps you will get bored. Very Happy
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabyasachi sir- Thanks a lot for reading this! I think you anticipated another round of pictures, but that didn't happen because of circumstances beyond my control...

Sumantra sir- Once again, thank you for reading it. Well, the food looks plane-ish because it was indeed dinner on 9W212! Razz
I'm afraid, hibernation is still on. I'll try and put up as much as possible before I step down.
About the train, well, I'll have a go..

INBOUND INTO KOLKATA; ON THE DURONTO..
The outside looked exactly the same as it was in May: bright, sunny and boiling! Other than packing, I had nothing else to do. It was quite a lazy day. But then the afternoon arrived, and in the heat, we went to the CSTM station. Luggage screening was there, which was..surprising.
The Duronto leaves from the less crowded, newer part of VT. New or not, the smells of the station was still the same, something we Indians are now used to. Passengers were already boarding the LHB rake. To my extreme surprise (actually no, its the Indian mentality anyways), one coach had about a third of its Duronto coloured sticker peeled off, and underneath it was all red, showing these coaches were made for Rajdhani. But anyways, there was a lot of time to kill, so we waited for the WCAM-3 to couple in with the train. Departure time was getting close, so me and Dad got in. The train departed late..by 1 minute. But then again, it was late.
We slowly gained speed, travelling in the heart of Mumbai. There were numerous fast EMU's we raced against. Just before exiting Mumbai, we were given our snacks, something I was eagerly waiting for because of my previous experience. It didn't let me down. The tray contained 2 tiny eclairs, a mango juice, a Haldiram's alu bhujia packet, a sandwich and..the mightily awesome soft and sweet soan papdi.
The sun was setting really quickly, as the train finally reached Igatpuri, where a Howrah WAP4 took over from the Kalyan WCAM3. There was just enough light to see the AC Type Loco shed, where there were a variety of locomotives parked, unlike the DC Type Loco shed, where only Kalyan based WCAM3 were parked. As darkness fell, tomato soup and bread sticks were served, along with butter. Once that was done, dinner was served, rather early, which contained very oily chicken, paratha, rice, curd, salad, etc. Sleep took a while to come. And when it did come, it was only for a 3 or 4 hours. I CANNOT SLEEP ON A TRAIN! Speed also wasn't too fast, which was a bit disappointing, I expected more.
I watched some movies on the iPod (Hancock, I remember and POTC), as breakfast finally arrived. Bread, butter and omelette were served.

Will write the rest in a while..
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabya99 wrote:
As you have requested I will post my first two back to back trip report originally published November 2009 in the web. It may be somewhat back dated but you will have an idea how I started my TR business. Perhaps you will get bored.

Sabyasachi, we are still waiting for them!
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, nice description of the start of the train journey! I am amazed at your knowledge regarding locos, and train routes. Keep it coming! Yes, I had a bad one with mistaking the 9W dinner for something else: I guess I had downed one too many.
Cheers(sss.hic), Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a slow day for sure, time was passing really slowly. Luckily there were a lot of locomotives (and trains, of course!) I could spot. Interestingly, there was also one WCAM3 locomotive which I spotted, surely beyond Maharasthra! Its simply amazing, you don't realise where the neutral zone is, for the change from DC traction to AC traction. Sadly, Mumbai is the only place where you find DC traction; its a dying breed.
Anyways, I kept snoozing off in my berth, before we finally arrived at Bilaspur. I got down, took in some much needed fresh air (and those two photographs). It was a stop for only about 15 minutes (actually not only, its a long stop for IR!)
Before lunch, another round of soup was served. This time, much thinner the soup was. No doubt, the previous evening's soup was diluted. Breadsitcks accompanied it. Lunch was served, exactly the same as dinner. Yes, it was getting boring. Really boring.
Once again, I couldn't sleep. Time kept passing, as I looked out from the massive LHB rake windows. Mum went up to sleep, while I stayed awake. I went to the loo, and what happened? No water! All was over! My god it was stinking really bad!
Tatanagar came next, where many passengers actually got off, with bags! Smart thing to do if you want to save time, paying a little bit extra. I thin about 20 passengers got off from our A3 coach. The last and final food service followed, which was snacks, this time with aloo bhujia.
That done, the horrific sight of the Jyaneshwari Express up turned coaches was seen. May all their souls rest in peace!
Kharagpur was the last and final techie stop. Sadly, being eastern India, sun was no where. Blankets, pillows, etc, were taken away. 2 hours of high-end boredom followed, nowhere to sleep (or at least lay down), nothing to see, no water in the washroom, no food to eat and A/Cs close to dying.
A miracle happened, when I saw a bunch of Santragacchi WAP4s in the shed, meaning, we were close to Howrah. But halts on the way made it even more boring.
We reached Howrah, 7 minutes late. The heat blasted into my face, where I started sweating. When I reached home, I was watery in sweat. A hot bath (on a hot day, yes, I'm insane) followed, I fell off to sleep.
There I was in Kolkata, for the second time in 2010.
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Jishnu, I can well picturise the sorry situation. I have travelled by IR very often, primarily by Sleeper Class. I have had some very nice experiences as well, so it is a mixed bag. Bad food - my last Jaipur on the Ajmer Shatabdi was very disappointing. The two Mumbai and Calcutta Rajdhanis in general, have some decent catering. Food-wise, I will like to make special mention of the Nizamuddin-Ernakulam Mangala Lakshadweep Express. On an average, it was excellent - I have travelled on the train in the early 2000s.
Cheers, Sumantra.
sabya99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
sabya99 wrote:
As you have requested I will post my first two back to back trip report originally published November 2009 in the web. It may be somewhat back dated but you will have an idea how I started my TR business. Perhaps you will get bored.

Sabyasachi, we are still waiting for them!

Yes, I will post soon. I am kind of busy with some family related issues. Smile
sabya99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, my last trip by rail in India was in 1992 by Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express.It was comfortable by Indian standard although seats were not reclining, that was a problem. Food was OK, not bad at all. I still think if ticket prices are reduced this service could compete well will Jet Air. I forgot to mention AC was excellent, we did not feel June north India climate. Very Happy
Nimish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice start to the report Jishnu - thanks for posting. I've been dying to try a Duronto myself, but not been lucky so far. Booked on Rajdhani again on my next train journey - mainly due to the fact that the Rajdhani is almost always on time, while the Duronto (SBC-DEE) is typically 1-2 hours late most Mondays.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies!

Sabyaschi sir: Well, I still think the Sealdah Rajdhani has one Ac Chair Car, the third coach from the WAP5 while leaving from Sealdah. OF course, the Yuva Express is there, all AC chair car superfast.

Sumntra sir-I have never been on the Southern Railway parts, despite staying in Bangalore for 6 years! I didn't have too much of flights as well! I actually want to travel on the longest distance train, provided I have all my entertainment! Razz

Nimish sir-Well, I guess Duronto for you, will be down to a leisure trip. But honestly when are Indian trains ever on time? Other than Mumbai Suburban Railway, I never see them on time, even here I mentioned, the train as late by 7 minutes.

Regards
Jishnu
sumantra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jishnu, the Sealdah Rajdhani AC Chair car was discontinued around the mid-2000s...
Nimish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
Nimish sir-Well, I guess Duronto for you, will be down to a leisure trip. But honestly when are Indian trains ever on time? Other than Mumbai Suburban Railway, I never see them on time, even here I mentioned, the train as late by 7 minutes.

First - please don't "sir" me - I'm perfectly happy being called Nimish Smile

15 minutes variation from the schedule is considered on time even at airlines. And the Bangalore Rajdhani is one train that's almost always on time - the statistics are compelling! Not so for the other Bangalore-Delhi trains - most are late by approx an hour.
patkini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful insight into your train journey! A couple of points from my end:

1) The AC/DC neutral zone on NE(Igatpuri) line is just beyond Kalyan.

2) The WCAM-2/3 you spotted must have been in & around Nagpur & might have taken the Nagpur Duronto there. The WCAM series is not a pure DC but is a dual voltage AC/DC locomotive.

3) Trains often get a lot of slack between stops & have the posssibility of arriving at a scheduled stop before time. But they, cannot leave the station till its STD, since passengers would be following the schedules & might get left behind. Hence, strictly only the Durontos which have specific "technical halts" can leave them before time, since no passengers can board/de-board.

4) Further, trains usually do tend to get late in single non-electrified sections due to the crossings (not that they wont be delayed on electrified double lines). But primarily the high priority trains like Durontos/Shatabdi/Rajdhanis get very high sectional priority & are pretty punctual.

5) The acceleration of the HWH WAP-4 with your Duronto rake must have been awesome, right?

Rgds,
Pats

Last edited by patkini on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck you travel around a lot mate! Smile

I see that green train hurtling down every afternoon through campus, must be the MAA-DEL Dorunto I presume? I'm not big on trains.
Nimish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Heck you travel around a lot mate! Smile

I see that green train hurtling down every afternoon through campus, must be the MAA-DEL Dorunto I presume? I'm not big on trains.

Definitely not the MAA-DEL Duronto - it's unlikely to go through Vellore. I'm guessing it's probably some variant of the Shatabdi to Bangalore/ Mysore?
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Definitely not the MAA-DEL Duronto - it's unlikely to go through Vellore. I'm guessing it's probably some variant of the Shatabdi to Bangalore/ Mysore?

No, the Shatabdi's have the blue livery. I just looked it up on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duronto_Express#List_of_Duronto_Express_trains

And it seems to be the Chennai - Coimbatore Duronto.
Nimish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks for that clarification - I had no idea there was a Duronto on the Chennai-Coimbatore route! Further digging showed up a Duronto on Bangalore-Kolkata as well - hopefully I'll try that sometime in 2013.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumantra sir-Indeed, I last saw it on the older red and yellow rakes, back in 2004.

Nimish-well, uhm, sir. I'm sorry, I simply cannot do it! Its kind of difficult not calling you sir, to be honest!
Oh well, maybe I was a bit too harsh on IR for being late by 7 minutes. Yes, I think it is fantastic indeed! The wait at SRC was too long. Maybe we could have seen ourselves reach Howrah 45 minutes before time. Lots of tail there! Razz

Pats sir- 1. Yes, I kind of forgot that, but I loved the part when the WAG-5 bankers took over from behind, its just one of those awesome and unique things in Indian Railways!
2. Yup, I did take the Tapovan Express to Nashik (Nasik?) in 2008. It was a WCAM3 all the way. I must say, the WCAM3 is amazing when its AC powers are unleashed! So yeah, I think it is what you are saying, Nagpur Duronto.
3. Indeed, which is why Duronto is such a unique train!
4. They were punctual, yes, but an hour long of a wait just before reaching Howrah is terrible. After all the immense speed, this was absolutely boring.
5. MY GOD is all I can say! I have always been amazed by the acceleration (and smart looks!) of the WAP4, it always fails to disappointment me! I'll be honest, the only thing I was sad about while moving into Mumbai was the fact that WAP4 engines would have been seen no longer. I was overjoyed when I saw that the WAM4 was subbed for a WAP4 on the Ranchi-Howrah Express! Its like 9W subbing the A332 for the B77W on the BOM-HKG-BOM route! Maybe I should post a few pictures from that trip?!

Spiderguy252-Been a while since you posted a reply on my Tr, eh?! Indeed, 2010 was the beginning of all my travel expeditions so far! But yeah about green trains, just like Rajdhani and Shatabdi, the Duronto also has its fiance' called the Yuva express...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3H6n8Tqqc
They consist of all Ac chair cars, but yeah as you mentioned, it is the MAA-CJB Duronto.

Regards
Jishnu
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
^^ Thanks for that clarification - I had no idea there was a Duronto on the Chennai-Coimbatore route! Further digging showed up a Duronto on Bangalore-Kolkata as well - hopefully I'll try that sometime in 2013.

Begin trying to get your ticket booked on irctc.co.in tonight, and you might procure your itinerary in time for the journey. Razz

That website is a total sham.
sumantra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:

...as the PJ goes, it is the only Government organisation that does not encourage reservation.
Cheers, Sumantra.
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

...as the PJ goes, it is the only Government organisation that does not encourage reservation.
Cheers, Sumantra.

Classic. Always astonishing when you encounter several thousand fellow passengers in your train journey, and you struggle to put together the fact that each one of them had to also endure the battles lasting the better part of an hour - which is the amount of time one typically spends trying to grab a measly ticket, and hope that anything pertaining to the itinerary, bank or the actual reservation doesn't snap and go broken in the duration of what seems like a bottomless pit when you're actually navigating through that so called "website".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: