Airliners-India.com Forum Index Airliners-India.com
Flickr Group & Facebook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16 HOURS IN COLOMBO (few pics/usual vids)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: 16 HOURS IN COLOMBO (few pics/usual vids) Reply with quote

INTRODUCTION

Link to previous TR: http://airlinersindia.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?p=115610#115610

***FIRST OF ALL, SORRY ABOUT THE LACK OF PICTURES FROM THIS (AND THE PREVIOUS) TR'S!***

After my last trip to Colombo, (the trip in which I had give my exams), it looked certain that my next trip would be to Bhubaneshwar on Jet Airways Konnect (Nagpur wasn’t my last domestic trip because of the uncertain and long delay).The Colombo move wasn’t looking close to happening over the next few months. But, one Friday evening, I was locked out of the house, knowing that I had to prepare for a poem recitation on Monday as a part of our assessment. Luckily, I had got another day. Dad called up saying I was supposed to go to Colombo because of an interview in the school. Oh well, I increased my iPod volume and sat in the hallway, forgetting about the stress of my poem recitation, absolutely relaxed! Dad was already supposed to go to Colombo for a few days, so it was decided that I would go there, only for a day. I got my ticket booked for Monday, 25th July, 2011 and return the same night. Jet Airways had the most expensive, but most convenient deal. So, I was booked on 9W-256 and 9W-255, once again. I had to miss only one day of school, not too bad!

DEPARTURE DAY AND STUFF BEFORE THAT
That Sunday arrived; I got my cameras, phone and iPod charged for the next day. I web checked in myself, for both the flights at once! So I selected 15F for 9W 256 and 27A for 9W 255. It was the usual Konnect configuration. After a heavy lunch with old friends, I set around to watch the 2011 German GP. It was Hamilton who won, and Alonso who came in a close second, the fight was on! We decided to leave an hour early, because we wanted to avoid the long check in lines at Mumbai. We reached the overly crowded entrance to the airport, and took half an hour to reach the airport from the W.E. Highway. I was greeted by the sight of an ancient Air India Airbus A310, being serviced at the Air India hanger. We entered the airport, and entered the empty check in area.

CHECK IN, IMMIGRATION, SECURITY AND THE WAIT
Altough empty, we did not have to go to the Economy check in line, as Dad holds a Jet Privilege Gold card. So, after a 4 minute check in process, we passed through the quick immigration, and finally reached the crowd: A long security line! It looked like it would take half an hour to get through, but I was waiting to be checked 15 minutes later..Mumbai has really improved its security check speed! But, as I waited, the time for ‘shift-changing’ came, which meant a wait of another 20 minutes for a personnel to come. I was about to give them a piece of my mind, but then I remembered Dad was standing in front, so I had keep quite. I was really frustrated! Dad got through, but I had to wait another 20 minutes. Uhh, I’m sorry Mumbai, you need to improve your security check speed!
We reached the departure level, with usual flights leaving: AF, LH, other 9W and AI flights, etc. As we went to have dinner, Dad removed a small bag, in which he keeps important stuff, which didn’t have a cabin baggage tag. I remembered the incident at Delhi Airport where an elderly couple had to walk back the entire span of T3 to get the stamps on their bag. I just hoped it would get through. I passed time, by going through the terminal, checking out the Duty Free shops (not the alcoholic and cigarette shops, I’M A GOOD BOY!). Our flight was leaving from Gate 13, which meant a remote parking bay for the aircraft, nothing unusual. We waited for an hour and headed for boarding. As we reached our gate, 9W-242 was still boarding, and 9W-061 was just about completed. Dad went and enquired to the Jet Airways personnel: ‘When are you starting boarding for Colombo?’ The reply came: ‘Right away sir, “Passengers on Jet Airways flight 9W-256 to Colombo are requested to board the aircraft from gate 13.”

BOARDING
Well, I jumped in front of the line, and I saw the computer screen. I saw the aircraft had 4 rows in Premiere and 33 rows in Economy. This meant the International configuration! IFE! And they were also marking the seat numbers in that screen! This was looking good! As I passed through, the screen said: ‘PASSENGER 1: BOARDED’ it said the same thing for Dad, only he was Passenger 2. Well, the security looked at Dad’s small travel bag, which didn’t have a tag, and told him to get a tag. Well, I knew, it was my turn for the long walk back to security. The computer then said: ‘PASSENGER 1: DE-BOARDED’ Ugh. I felt bad, pole position was lost. But anyways, I went back up, knowing that it would take more than an hour for the aircraft to depart. I went to security, and asked them (CALMLY) to stamp the tag on the bag. Then the action started, following conversation in Hindi:

Security (S1): What the hell kid, whats wrong with you? We won’t stamp it.
Me (M): (With anger raging inside) I’m sorry sir, please do it fast my flight is about to departed.
S2: He’s lying! Put the bag through the screeners!
M: (trying to keep calm) Sir, please! My flight will leave!
S2: Stop lying! We’ll put you in line (I saw the long line) Tell us where you are going.
M: (thinking) My flight to Johannesburg has just about completed boarding! I will miss it if u hold me here!
S1: Ok, we’ll do it now. Never repeat this ever again!
M: I’m sorry, won’t repeat it again (and I was thinking, GO DIE!)

Folks I am not joking. This is what had happened. If there is anyone of my age reading this: Try to get everything right in Indian Airport security. Never screw it! 2 security flaws in one day..ugh. Anyhow, I started to cool off. Why does the security have to act like school teachers and irritate us kids? Anyways, I started to feel proud about quick thinking to get myself out of trouble, my flight to Johannesburg HAHA Laughing . I went back down into the gates, and found myself as passenger 37 to board the flight. While boarding the bus, Dad told me that there were 6 passengers in Premiere, 102 in Economy, after he saw the computer monitor screen. He also said that they were continuing to fill the International configuration seat map. He also mentioned that the aircraft was parked at bay J8. I was getting happier by the minute! Our bus was parked in front of a Jet Airways Boeing 777, just like last time! It was off to London. We passed an Air France 777-200, Lufthansa A330-300 and a few more non-Indian wide bodies. We took a turn towards the runway, I Saw VT-JBK, a 9W 73H, but it wasn’t our aircraft. We went past VT-JWF, doing 9W-076 to Hong Kong, revving up its engines. Beautiful sound of the GE CF6 engines! Another 9W 332, VT-JWG was being ready for push back for Johannesburg. We finally reached a row of narrow body aircraft: AIX 738’s, AI 320’s, an IT 320 and finally a few Jet Airways 738s. First one was VT-JGH (738), we didn’t stop, then VT-JBF (73H) no, VT-JGT (73H) not that one either, and finally, a shock to my eyes: VT-JNZ. Well, I was disappointed. I expected a 73H, not a 10 year old, winglet-less, Konnect 738! I thought that my flight from DEL-IXB on VT-JNN would be my last flight on the old 738’s! Everyone was discussing: ‘Its Jet Airways Konnect! No food even on international flights! What’s happening to them!’ Well, I didn’t bother. They were disappointed because they thought they would not get food, but I was disappointed not to get the 73H. Well, I made my way into the aircraft. The smiling crew (how can they keep smiling at 1 o clock in the morning!) welcomed us onboard. I took my seat, while Dad went to his usual emergency exit seat. I was surprised to see a Jet Wings International magazine in the seat pocket! I went back to the toilet and there was some weird noises coming, probably the auxiliary units. As boarding continued, one middle-aged lady, and another person, waved to someone behind. The lady came and sat next to me in seat 15D, while the other person went behind. Dad came to my row and said: ‘Son, meet my colleague Mrs. X’ (won’t mention names). We started out a conversation, as the safety demo went on.

JET AIRWAYS FLIGHT 9W-256 MUMBAI-COLOMBO, 25TH JULY 2011
FLIGHT DETAILS:
AIRLINE/FLIGHT NUMBER: Jet Airways (9W/JAI) 9W-256
REGISTRATION/AIRCRAFT TYPE: VT-JNZ/ Boeing 737-85R
SEAT: 15F Economy
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE: 0210 hours, ACTUAL DEPARTURE: 0224 hours.
SCHEDULED ARRIVAL: 0440 hours, ACTUAL ARRIVAL: 0438 hours
LOADS (ACTUAL): J=75% Y= 62.9%

Image copyrighted...

DEPARTURE
Push back started about 14 minutes after scheduled departure. The 'older version' of the CFM56 engines were started, rattling the whole aircraft while doing so. A UPS Boeing 767-300F taxied by us while our engines were being fired up. That was followed by a rather slow taxi and powerful, musical (noisy for a few Razz ) Boeing departure. I also missed the Air Mauritius A330-200 landing, but you'll see it in front of Terminal 1A in the take off video, let the videos do the talking now Smile

Start up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxhInJZ2qg
Taxiing (first): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SOWR6q_E5E
Taxiing (second): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXJks3igt4
Take off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUSI1dcx-WU

INFLIGHT
We leveled off pretty quickly, at FL350 (Captain told us later). Obviously, being a night flight, there are possibilities of many illusions. So, I looked at the star board wing, and it looked like there was aircraft, following us, far away. Five minutes later, I saw the same, it was still there. What was it? Navigation lights. Ahh. Food service followed, this time, it wasn't tandoori chicken. It was a chicken quiche instead. With that, a boiled potato, with seasoning (tasted pretty good!) and an Indian Sweet. I also took a Coke (yes, Coke) this time. Beer was also given to anyone who wanted.

Surprisingly, the cabin was quite 'alive' as compared to my previous flight on 9W-256, not too many people falling asleep! The Captain came over the PA, giving us details about the flight. He welcome us on the 'Boeing 737 Next Generation'. He also gave us details of our altitude, arrival time, speed, etc. A few minutes later, Dad came asked me why this aircraft was a 'Next Generation' aircraft, without winglets, loud and rattling engines, etc. I told him that I'd explain later. (I STILL DIDN'T Razz ). Following that, the flight was uneventful, lights turned off for those who wanted to catch up on sleep. But me? Well, I had to make my crucial decision for my O level subjects. So, I gave Further Pure Maths a miss (a wise choice), and selected Geography and Economics for the option subjects. Brilliant choices! I listened to my iPod (and slept a bit, I didn't have the stay awake challenge this time!) for the rest of the 20 or 25 minutes.

DESCENT AND ARRIVAL
Once again uneventful, and for once, smooth. We landed pretty quickly, 2 minutes ahead of schedule. BIA was silent, just like last time, with the monsters (UL wide bodies), silently getting ready for their long hauls. As usual, me and Dad were the last ones off the aircraft. I looked at JNZ once more, which was being turned around for its flight to Delhi. And I was sure, JNZ would take me back into Mumbai that very evening. We left the airport, and went to one of Colombo's best hotels, The Cinnamon Grand. We had breakfast and went to the room. All of us were a bit disappointed with the flight, because it didn't have any 'international touch' to it, in other words, just a usual domestic Jet Airways flight. Although I was to stay there only for a while, I just crashed into the bed, not evening listening to Dad's instruction of me waking up at 1130 in the morning. Zzz, is the last thing I can remember now.

At around 1130, my splashed a glass of the Arctic Ocean in my face to wake me up. My meeting was at 1230 that afternoon. So I got ready and headed off to school. After a meeting of about half an hour, I was officially selected as a student of The British School in Colombo! It felt weird. I had to come into a different meeting for a meeting which lasted for just half an hour? That's a business man's life, not a student who hasn't given his or her's O levels! But it was worth, because I got 3396 Jet Privilege miles, a massive, MASSIVE boost! So after lunch, we went back to the hotel, once again to see Sachin Tendulkar get out before his 100th 100.

CHECK IN, IMMIGRATION, SECURITY AND THE WAIT
That evening, once again for me, it was time to get back to the airport. Despite taking the longest and the most crowded way, I reached the airport 3 hours before departure. Check in was once again divided into 4 lines, for the two flights leaving. The agent asked me to weigh my bag pack, which was at 6.9 kgs, just 0.1 kgs away from what Jet Airways permits. They were not letting me go easily, despite the fact I didn't have any checked in luggage! So after a quick immigration, I waited at the Palm Strip Lounge, sipping a Pepsi which costed 1US$, a steal to be honest. So, time went really slowly, with nothing to do, all alone in the airport.

[img]http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii552/jbalonso777/5-
3.jpg[/img]
So many UL widebodies together!

As the evening fell.....

It was time to head to Gate 6, for my flight back to Mumbai..

I walked slowly, just to waste time. But by doing so, I noticed the wing of my aircraft. IT HAD WINGLETS! 9W-258 was surely not being operated by VT-JNZ! This was a big big surprise as I had expected JNZ to come back on the same day, but that wasn't the case! Although this was a new registration log in for me, this was a really old aircraft. It had Konnect decals, and, for the third time in 2011, EYEBROWS ON A BOEING 737NG! This surely is becoming a rarity nowadays, but I am glad to have flown in this aircraft, along with JNN and SIV. After a quick security, I had to wait for another 20 minutes.

JET AIRWAYS FLIGHT 9W-255 COLOMBO-MUMBAI, 25TH JULY 2011
FLIGHT DETAILS:
AIRLINE/FLIGHT NUMBER: Jet Airways (9W/JAI) 9W-255
REGISTRATION/AIRCRAFT TYPE: VT-JGN/ Boeing 737-83N(WL)
SEAT: 27A Economy
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE: 2020 hours, ACTUAL DEPARTURE: 2004 hours.
SCHEDULED ARRIVAL: 2240 hours, ACTUAL ARRIVAL: 2229 hours
LOADS (ESTIMATED): J=? Y= less than 50%

Copyrighted from website.

BOARDING
So, boarding had started at 1955 (ROW WISE, a first time for me Smile ), well in time for an on-time departure. While I sat in the holding area, VT-JBJ came in as 9W-252, being prepared for flight 9W-251, from and to Chennai. Ugh, I still don't get why Jet Airways uses international aircraft for a 1hr20min flight, when there are flights which are 2hr30min and 3hr20min long! Anyways, after a warm welcome by the chirpy crew, I entered a really cold aircraft. So I went back to my seat and QUICKLY asked for a pillow and blanket, (although I didn't use it). In the seat pocket, along with the safety card, sickness bag, menu card and Jet Wings domestic magazine, there was the inflight magazine of Air France! What a random magazine to find! (I'll post the picture, once I find the magazine Smile ) Loads weren't looking too good for Jet Airways, but it was good for me, as I once again had 3 seats for myself! This meant that boarding had been completed in less than 10 minutes (what is the world record?!). There was an infant with his mother and elder sister, who was probably of my age group. The female FA told the male FA 'He's cute isn't he?!' He replied back 'He sure is!' I didn't want to look back at them because I knew I was looking like a monkey shivering in a refrigerator.

DEPARTURE
Anyways, pushback started, with the engines being fired up pretty quickly. That was followed by a SUPER HIGH SPEED taxi to the active runway. We were airborne at 2013, 7 minutes before departure time! This captain was in a big hurry! Anyways, we turned north and headed out for Mumbai.

Start up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqwMmDiam8
Take off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yO_tJkRmPk

INFLIGHT
I went to the washroom, once the seat belts signs went off, while the crew distributed cold towels. Nice of them to get come to my seat and give a towel, even after all passengers got them! Good work, Jet Airways! Beer and non-alcoholic drinks were served to everyone, but not too many people because of the light loads. The food service followed. And after that, the crew just became silent, 40 minutes into the flight. No tea and coffee service, trays were still with us. This was an unusual act by the Jet Airways crew, why was everyone in a hurry?! The captain came over the PA, giving us the details of the flight. We were cruising at FL370, at a speed of Mach 0.86. He also that there would be turbulence in the 6 to 7 minutes, and asked to quickly go the washroom if we had to, as it was expected to be there till we landed in Mumbai. Well, a long sleep ahead then! Turbulence then hit us, HARD. The whole aircraft was rattling. I'm glad it wasn't a night flight, or else I would have to see the wings almost fall off Razz . Everyone's head was bobbing. I decided to revise my poem, but the CFM56 firmly made sure that I couldn't do so! Razz

A shaky dinner....

I just wondered who's tray table would be the first one to fall off. The answer was clear. MINE!!!!!! The aircraft rocked so badly that my tray was the first (and possibly only) one to fall of the tray table. I'm glad my tray was kept on the tray table for seat 27C, or else I would have had food stains all over my jeans. But, luckily that wasn't the case. I frantically called the FA. Unsurprisingly, she looked surprised. With big eyes, she said 'Oh, fuuu......'. Yeah, I'm glad she didn't finish the word, or else it would have been the first time I would have heard it from a FA. As she cleared the tray out, I bent down to get the glass and tissue which had fallen. By the time I got up, she had gone. Oh, well. It was up to the ground staff to clear it then Razz 27C also had stains over it.

DESCENT AND ARRIVAL
It wasn't as bad as I expected, but the crew quickly cleared up the trays quickly, just in time for arrival. Once again, a smooth landing, followed up with HARD BRAKING and a SUPER HIGH SPEED TAXI, meant we reached before time. We taxied and parked at parking J7 (I left from J8 that morning, in case you didn't read). I still didn't figure out why everyone was in a hurry. Probably to avoid the unavoidable turbulence? Or just 10 minutes of extra sleep? Any how, I was much happier after this flight, as compared 9W-256 that very day.

Landing and the LONG HIGH SPEED taxi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2ReP7Xa3w

Still freezing, I was the last one to exit the aircraft. I felt I was in the Mt. Everest while exiting the aircraft, because of a cold feeling, being at a height and listening to the calm hummm in the background. That humm was made my the GE-CF6 engines of VT-JWF which had just come in from HKG! So, Whiskey Foxtrot, we meet again! So the long bus journey, in which there were so many wide bodies to look at, took us back to the terminal. Immigration was quick. I didn't have to collect any luggage, so I went through customs. Although my trip was over, my episode with CISF wasn't over yet. They asked me to put my bag pack on the x-ray machine for a mandatory check. Fine, no problems there, but what really pissed me off, was the mishandling of my bad with my DSLR in it! Before I could tell him anything (or magically get a gun and shoot him in the face), I was pushed in front by a set of rude passengers. When they saw the camera in the x-ray. They asked me to open it. Following that, they took me took the head officer there, chewing something.....smelly. No, I didn't feel like being in Jailed Abroad, I just wanted to call up my Mum and say that I have been arrested for taking my camera out of the country for 16 hours. Anyways:

Security (S): Which company is this made by?
Me (M): Cann....I mean Nikon (I should have told him to see the damn shutter)
S: Did you buy it second hand from there?
M: No, in Fort, pretty old.
S: When was it bought?
M: 2007.
S: prove it.
M: The dust all over?
S: not good enough.
M: oh, just give it to me then! (take a picture of his face, show him the details)
M: see the number 7413? That's the number of pictures I took, but before that, there 9999 more taken. I can prove it, get me a lapt...
S: You may go, delete that picture please.

I gave that look which many of my friends hate. CISF didn't like it either! But anyways, the trip FINALLY ended, I sat in my car and went back home. I had just 4 days of school to go, before my trip to Bhubaneshwar is next! Stay tuned!

JUST A RANDOM THING:
How many hours did I spend in the a/c on 25th July 2011?
0000-0100=Terminal 2 in Mumbai..
0100-0440=In the bus and on VT-JNZ..
0500-1130=BIA Airport, taxi and The Cinnamon Grand Hotel..
1200-1300=At school, in the Board Room
1300-1600=Restaurant and the Hotel..
1600-1950=Taxi and in BIA Airport..
1950-2239=on VT-JGN
2239-2345=getting into the bus, Terminal 2 in Mumbai, car back home.
Did I get sick? No I didn't! That was a long time in the AC!! Very Happy

Link to next TR: http://airlinersindia.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=12469

Last edited by jbalonso777 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
shivendrashukla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice TR.

Cheers
Shivendra
sumantra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sir, for sharing your wonderful reports with us! You really write very well. I am eagerly awaiting the return journey description.
Cheers, Sumantra.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shivendrashukla wrote:
Nice TR.

Cheers
Shivendra

Thank you, Sir!
More coming up!! Very Happy

sumantra wrote:
Thanks Sir, for sharing your wonderful reports with us! You really write very well. I am eagerly awaiting the return journey description.
Cheers, Sumantra.

The very eventful return leg is up!
Just a few more hours before I post my Bhubaneshwar trip!! Very Happy
Thank you for reading!!
sumantra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Jishnu. Sorry about the CISF experience - but you were very calm and professional about it, and you also had your sense of humour intact. Looking forward to the Bhubaneshwar report!
Cheers, Sumantra.
iflytb20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 HOURS IN COLOMBO (few pics/usual vids) Reply with quote

jbalonso777 wrote:
We were cruising at FL370, at a speed of Mach 0.86.

Nice TR. The only point is that M 0.86 is a bit too fast for a 737. Most likely you were cruising at M 0.76 which is also the turbulence penetration speed for a NG
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 HOURS IN COLOMBO (few pics/usual vids) Reply with quote

iflytb20 wrote:
jbalonso777 wrote:
We were cruising at FL370, at a speed of Mach 0.86.

Nice TR. The only point is that M 0.86 is a bit too fast for a 737. Most likely you were cruising at M 0.76 which is also the turbulence penetration speed for a NG

I kind of thought so! Razz
Thank you for the correction!!
Also please check out my new (probably the best) TR on the site yet Smile
Spiderguy252

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific shots, those ones from CMB.

Good stuff.
jbalonso777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Terrific shots, those ones from CMB.

Good stuff.

Very rare that you see these kinds of clouds!
Thank you once again Smile
Regards
Jishnu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: