Airliners-India Forum Index Airliners-India
Flickr Group & Facebook
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposal to rename Juhu airport after JRD Tata

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> Civil Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
747-237
Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 9171
Location: Gordon Gekko's Boardroom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Proposal to rename Juhu airport after JRD Tata Reply with quote

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mumbai/other/poonam-mahajan-writes-to-pm-narendra-modi-wants-to-name-juhu-airport-after-jrd-tata/articleshow/61940407.cms

Poonam Mahajan writes to PM Narendra Modi, wants to name Juhu airport after JRD Tata

Dec 6, 2017

Member of parliament Poonam Mahajan has written to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to name the Juhu airport after Late JRD Tata who started civil aviation in India at Juhu airport in 1928. Tata also started the Bombay Flying Club which is the first flying club and first flying school in the country.

Mahajan, a BJP MP from the Mumbai North-West constituency is also the chairperson of the Airport Advisory Committee and is a pilot too.

In the 1990s, there was a great demand to name the Mumbai International airport after JRD Tata, but the Shiv Sena and BJP government in the centre decided to name it after Chattrapati Shivaji.

Juhu airport is the first airport in the country and is now being used by helicopters and small fixed wing aircrafts.

On December 2, Mahajan wrote to Prime Minister that the airport should be named after JRD who was a pioneer in the civil aviation sector in India.

The letter said, "It would pertinent to note that the first ever flight in the history of Indian aviation was undertaken by JRD Tata who became one of the first Indians to be granted commercial pilots license in 1929. The flight under the aegis of Tata Aviation Service - forerunner to Tata Airlines and Air India - carried mail in a Puss Moth aircraft to Juhu airport in Mumbai from Drigh Road airstrip in Karachi via Ahmedabad."

Interestingly, JRD was a recipient of the prestigious Daniel Guggenheim Medal commemorating significant achievement in aeronautics in 1998 for his lifetime of significant contributions to aviation, for his pioneering work in developing commercial air travel in India and Asia and for his leadership in establishing Air India as a major international link between Asia and rest of world.

She pointed that keeping in mind JRD Tata's notable contributions in the Indian Civil Aviation Sector, it would be fairly appropriate that Juhu Airport in Mumbai is named as Bharat Ratna JRD Tata airport. She is also planning to raise the issue the meeting of Airport Users committee to be held at Juhu airport on December 13, 2017, so that the demand is documented in minutes.

Meanwhile, the Airport Authority of India is starting a small museum at the entrance of Juhu airport where photographs of yesteryears when JRD started Bombay Flying Club and his planes will be displayed.


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Goat
Member


Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2960
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Actually, they should have named Mumbai's International airport after JRD instead of Shivaji, but I guess we should thank them for small mercies. The local thugs would have named Juhu after some other warlord if they had their way.

The IAF has an ex-AI L-1047 Super Constellation and two ex- AI Boeing 707s in storage. They should paint these planes in their erstwhile AI liveries and display them in the museum. It would be fitting, as JRD was very closely associated with both these types.

Unfortunately, none of AI's 742s survive. Having one of those in the museum would have been great too.
_________________
I don't know which is the more pampered bunch : AI's widebodies (the aunties) or Jet's widebodies (the planes).
-Jasepl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
747-237
Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 9171
Location: Gordon Gekko's Boardroom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Goat wrote:
Great news. Actually, they should have named Mumbai's International airport after JRD instead of Shivaji, but I guess we should thank them for small mercies. The local thugs would have named Juhu after some other warlord if they had their way.

The IAF has an ex-AI L-1047 Super Constellation and two ex- AI Boeing 707s in storage. They should paint these planes in their erstwhile AI liveries and display them in the museum. It would be fitting, as JRD was very closely associated with both these types.

Unfortunately, none of AI's 742s survive. Having one of those in the museum would have been great too.


I couldn't agree more, with every word you said. Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GF1011
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2015
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Goat wrote:

The IAF has an ex-AI L-1047 Super Constellation and two ex- AI Boeing 707s in storage.


Are you referring to the Connie on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Goa or a different L-1047?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Goat
Member


Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2960
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF1011 wrote:
The_Goat wrote:

The IAF has an ex-AI L-1047 Super Constellation and two ex- AI Boeing 707s in storage.


Are you referring to the Connie on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Goa or a different L-1047?


No, not the one in the Naval Aviation Museum. There is apparently an ex-AI L-1049 Connie that the IAF has stored in Agra. It has been earmarked for the IAF museum in Delhi, but that would be a cruel waste of a Connie, in my opinion. It should be brought to Bombay and stored in the JRD museum , painted in old AI colours.

The two 707s are in Delhi. They were used by the ARC, but have been stored for a while now.
_________________
I don't know which is the more pampered bunch : AI's widebodies (the aunties) or Jet's widebodies (the planes).
-Jasepl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GF1011
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2015
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Goat wrote:
GF1011 wrote:
The_Goat wrote:

The IAF has an ex-AI L-1047 Super Constellation and two ex- AI Boeing 707s in storage.


Are you referring to the Connie on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Goa or a different L-1047?


No, not the one in the Naval Aviation Museum. There is apparently an ex-AI L-1049 Connie that the IAF has stored in Agra. It has been earmarked for the IAF museum in Delhi, but that would be a cruel waste of a Connie, in my opinion. It should be brought to Bombay and stored in the JRD museum , painted in old AI colours.


Thats great news!
I wish they'd get her airworthy and add her to Vintage Flight, though! Very Happy

Quote:

The two 707s are in Delhi. They were used by the ARC, but have been stored for a while now.

Yes, those two are visible, parked at DEL. Hope they have a better future in store.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaysit
Member


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Posts: 4248

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should rename Mumbai airport after JRD.

There are a dozen "shauchalyas" that can be named after Shivaji.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> Civil Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com