Airliners-India Forum Index Airliners-India
Flickr Group & Facebook
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zurich Airport Receives Request For Hindu Prayer Room

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> Non Aviation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sri_bom
Member


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 2365
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Zurich Airport Receives Request For Hindu Prayer Room Reply with quote

Zurich Airport urged to institute designated Hindu prayer room for pax
News
7-Jan-2016 3:31 PM
Zurich Airport has been requested by Hindu groups to institute a designated Hindu prayer room (The Hans India, 06-Jan-2016). Hindu statesman Rajan Zed said the airport serves a considerable number of Hindu passengers, and urged Zurich to include a quiet facility for religious purposes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aseem
Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 2706
Location: YYZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what crap! who needs it. Always felt proud that this nonsense had no place in Indian society. Next you'd see Navratri special in these prayer rooms.

VT-ASJ
_________________
[url=http://openflights.org/user/aseemsjohri]
[/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Caliguy
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 546
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not very nice. What he is trying to do is ensure Hindus have the same access to facilities as all. In reality the state should be secular. But if its not then Hindus shouldn't be 3rd class citizens. There are 10m Jews in the world, and they are recognized pretty much everywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbala
Member


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 1760
Location: Bangalore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliguy wrote:
That's not very nice. What he is trying to do is ensure Hindus have the same access to facilities as all. In reality the state should be secular. But if its not then Hindus shouldn't be 3rd class citizens. There are 10m Jews in the world, and they are recognized pretty much everywhere.


Just curious - what would the "Hindu Prayer Room" look like?! Would it have a Pandit? Who would be the presiding deity?Would serving beef in the vicinity pollute the sanctity of this "holy room"?! And since when did Hindus need a dedicated place to pray?!

This "me-too" mentality along with the classic "my-religion-is-being-victimized" syndrome is abominable. Almost like a kid who didnt get his/her candy.

As a Hindu, I have never felt the need to find a closed room to pray. I would be surprised if there is a "Hindu Prayer Room" in any airport/hotel/public establishment even in India.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nimish
Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 9755
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ My thoughts exactly. Hinduism is one of those religions that is defined by it's lack of a single strict structure and hence a "Hindu prayer room" makes little sense. BTW - Atheism is also a part of hinduism, so does a Hindu Prayer room have a secret corner for the atheists?
_________________
We miss you Nalini!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lavence7
Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 101
Location: Mumbai, India, Juhu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its just a place for Desi (hindu) pax to come and chill & relax there while on transit. Some sort of meditation or relaxation room which is peaceful and makes them feel better around their other native people, away from the hustle & bustle of the happening airport.

Maybe some other religion(s) demand these rooms/space all over the world at some major airports and they are being provided this at no extra cost, all borne by the airports. So, not a big deal, as long as everyone is welcome there.

Just a thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Caliguy
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 546
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is a known activist in the US. All he is saying that in public spaces or with gov money all religions should be taken into consideration. My guess is instead of having a generic prayer and mediation room like most airports, Zurich has it by denominations. So a small chapel for christians, mosque etc. You don't want to use it don't. All he is saying is be fair to all (or actually just have generic). He is fighting for equality NOT fanaticism.

He's actually been pushing to have schools with reasonably high hindu populations in the US give Diwali off. American political liberalism basically means offer Jewish holidays (even if no jews) and muslims if they complain but rarely if ever hindu. NYC recently decided to keep their jewish holidays (mostly for teachers as jewish students have mostly left public schools) and give muslim (2 holidays) and Chinese New Year (one day) but rejected Diwali (even though both Sikhs and Hindus rallied around that one day). Not saying you should support this but trying to give you perspective on how many hindus in the west feel we have been too focused on work and keeping our heads down that we are becoming less than equal in the eyes of the state machinery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Goat
Member


Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2935
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliguy wrote:
The guy is a known activist in the US. All he is saying that in public spaces or with gov money all religions should be taken into consideration. My guess is instead of having a generic prayer and mediation room like most airports, Zurich has it by denominations. So a small chapel for christians, mosque etc. You don't want to use it don't. All he is saying is be fair to all (or actually just have generic). He is fighting for equality NOT fanaticism.

.


Maybe he should get Hindu prayer rooms installed in major US airports first, before spreading his ideology overseas.

Major US hubs see more Hindu passengers than ZRH ever will.
_________________
I don't know which is the more pampered bunch : AI's widebodies (the aunties) or Jet's widebodies (the planes).
-Jasepl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aseem
Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 2706
Location: YYZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliguy wrote:
Not saying you should support this but trying to give you perspective on how many hindus in the west feel we have been too focused on work and keeping our heads down that we are becoming less than equal in the eyes of the state machinery.


I am pretty sure the state machinery extended its support in the appointment of Satya Nadella and Sundar Pichai. Personally, I am more happy this way. Back to ZRH, I doubt it is going to happen.

VT-ASJ
_________________
[url=http://openflights.org/user/aseemsjohri]
[/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
iah87
Member


Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 2239

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliguy wrote:
The guy is a known activist in the US. All he is saying that in public spaces or with gov money all religions should be taken into consideration. My guess is instead of having a generic prayer and mediation room like most airports, Zurich has it by denominations. So a small chapel for christians, mosque etc. You don't want to use it don't. All he is saying is be fair to all (or actually just have generic). He is fighting for equality NOT fanaticism.

He's actually been pushing to have schools with reasonably high hindu populations in the US give Diwali off. American political liberalism basically means offer Jewish holidays (even if no jews) and muslims if they complain but rarely if ever hindu. NYC recently decided to keep their jewish holidays (mostly for teachers as jewish students have mostly left public schools) and give muslim (2 holidays) and Chinese New Year (one day) but rejected Diwali (even though both Sikhs and Hindus rallied around that one day). Not saying you should support this but trying to give you perspective on how many hindus in the west feel we have been too focused on work and keeping our heads down that we are becoming less than equal in the eyes of the state machinery.


Whether Hindus need a room to pray is debatable, however if it is true if other religions get their way, (holidays/prayer room etc.), then I don't see what is wrong is asking for a room or a holiday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbala
Member


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 1760
Location: Bangalore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iah87 wrote:

Whether Hindus need a room to pray is debatable, however if it is true if other religions get their way, (holidays/prayer room etc.), then I don't see what is wrong is asking for a room or a holiday.


Do u have a similar stance on circumcision too?! Jews and Muslims seem to be doing it - shudnt u join the bandwagon too by the same logic?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lavence7
Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 101
Location: Mumbai, India, Juhu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbala wrote:
iah87 wrote:

Whether Hindus need a room to pray is debatable, however if it is true if other religions get their way, (holidays/prayer room etc.), then I don't see what is wrong is asking for a room or a holiday.


Do u have a similar stance on circumcision too?! Jews and Muslims seem to be doing it - shudnt u join the bandwagon too by the same logic?


Its not about following the way they “do” things. Just about being “allowed” to do things, in their own respective ways. Its more about freedom to be or do, not adapting to or following their culture. So your comparison doesn’t seem to make sense here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbala
Member


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 1760
Location: Bangalore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavence7 wrote:
justbala wrote:
iah87 wrote:

Whether Hindus need a room to pray is debatable, however if it is true if other religions get their way, (holidays/prayer room etc.), then I don't see what is wrong is asking for a room or a holiday.


Do u have a similar stance on circumcision too?! Jews and Muslims seem to be doing it - shudnt u join the bandwagon too by the same logic?


Its not about following the way they “do” things. Just about being “allowed” to do things, in their own respective ways. Its more about freedom to be or do, not adapting to or following their culture. So your comparison doesn’t seem to make sense here.


"In our own respective way" my friend - as mentioned Hinduism does not dictate a strict ritual or location for praying. As a Hindu u can pray pretty much pray anywhere. The demand for a dedicated Hindu Prayer Room is not because u need one, but because other have got one of their own and u feel left out. The comparison I gave fits right into this model.

Mods - this thread has nothing do with aviation now. Shud either be moved to Non-Av or deleted if it is violating forum rules.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nimish
Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 9755
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to non-av
_________________
We miss you Nalini!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> Non Aviation All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com