Airliners-India Forum Index Airliners-India
Flickr Group & Facebook
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

United Airlines could steal title of world's longest flight

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> International
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
747-237
Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 8944
Location: Gordon Gekko's Boardroom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: United Airlines could steal title of world's longest flight Reply with quote

http://www.traveller.com.au/united-airlines-could-steal-title-of-worlds-longest-flight-with-new-18hour-us-to-singapore-flight-route-gwiqr3

United Airlines could steal title of world's longest flight with new 18-hour US to Singapore flight route

June 1, 2017

United Airlines is hoping to steal the title of world's longest flight from Qatar Airways with the announcement of its new US to Singapore route.

The US airline says it will start flying between the Los Angeles Airport and Changi Airport, a distance of about 14,000 kilometres, making it the longest route to or from the United States.

Westbound flights will be a derriere-numbing 17 hours and 55 minutes, about 25 minutes longer than the Doha to Auckland route. They will leave Los Angeles each evening and arrive two days later local time in Singapore.

The airline said on Thursday that assuming it gets government approval, flights will start October 27 using Boeing 787 planes.

"It's the longest route from the US to anywhere in the world," Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of international planning told USA Today. "It's definitely prestigious."

The longest current US flight is Qantas' 13,804km trip between Dallas-Fort Worth and Sydney, Australia.

Qatar's 14,535km, 17-and-a-half-hour Doha-Auckland service is currently the world's longest flight in terms of time after it knocked Air India's 15,127km, 15-hour Delhi-San Francisco route off its perch.

Boasting about record long-distance flights is fine if you are travelling business class but for most passengers it's a cooped-up crush.

Qatar may have bested Emirates for the now longest-haul flight but Qatar's economy class passengers will have to endure more cramped seats than competitors.

A quick trip to SeatGuru shows Emirates long-haul economy seats typically offer 81 to 86cm 'pitch', or leg room, while Qatar 's Boeing 777-200LR offers 76cm.

On the plus side, if you're short and wide, Qatar economy boasts 48cm broad seats while Emirates gives passengers 43 to 45cm wide seats.

Air New Zealand's 777-200ER falls somewhere between the two Middle Eastern giants, providing 45cm wide economy seats and pitch of 78 to 84cm.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nimish
Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 9755
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the US3 doing something instead of complaining about the unfair competition from the ME3. Can't wait for additional non-stops launched by AA/ DL to India - though there's no indication that anything is on the cards.
_________________
We miss you Nalini!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sumantra
Member


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 4433
Location: New Delhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimish wrote:
Finally the US3 doing something instead of complaining about the unfair competition from the ME3. Can't wait for additional non-stops launched by AA/ DL to India - though there's no indication that anything is on the cards.
Indeed, while the above is a positive move from the US3, as you rightly indicate, any more US-India non-stops will be but a pipe dream. AI and Jet are expanding very well, and the US3 will not attempt any other disaster. Now, only if UA would bite a humble pie and code-share extensively with AI: this will also benefit them.
Cheers, Sumantra.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
747-237
Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 8944
Location: Gordon Gekko's Boardroom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumantra wrote:
Nimish wrote:
Finally the US3 doing something instead of complaining about the unfair competition from the ME3. Can't wait for additional non-stops launched by AA/ DL to India - though there's no indication that anything is on the cards.
Indeed, while the above is a positive move from the US3, as you rightly indicate, any more US-India non-stops will be but a pipe dream. AI and Jet are expanding very well, and the US3 will not attempt any other disaster. Now, only if UA would bite a humble pie and code-share extensively with AI: this will also benefit them.
Cheers, Sumantra.


DL had an ATL-BOM aboard the 77L back in 2009. I did it, in both directions. The only thing I remember of it, is the devastated toilets !!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sumantra
Member


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 4433
Location: New Delhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

747-237 wrote:
DL had an ATL-BOM aboard the 77L back in 2009. I did it, in both directions. The only thing I remember of it, is the devastated toilets !!
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iah87
Member


Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 2232

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 hours in United regular economy. Yikes. I don't care how good the service, seating will be difficult. Imagine being stuck in a middle (or even a window seat) for that long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nimish
Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 9755
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iah87 wrote:
18 hours in United regular economy. Yikes. I don't care how good the service, seating will be difficult. Imagine being stuck in a middle (or even a window seat) for that long.


On a 9 abreast 787 - even worse! Still folks endure the 10 abreast 77Ws in droves, so I don't think UA is going to face much resistance.
_________________
We miss you Nalini!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Airliners-India Forum Index -> International All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com